What's new

Fuente Anejo's with Mold!!!!

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Seems to me like Fuente should be doing the refunding. Or is this strictly a Holts matter?
This is NOT just a Holt's matter. I purchased all of my Sharks from only 2 stores in Texas and most ALL of them have mold on them.

My question is this...Since you can freeze your cigars to rid beetles would it not make sense that you can do the same to get rid of mold? This whole ordeal really chaps my hide since I have 12 Sharks that are affected. I would much rather have the sticks than to have my money back or store credit for that matter.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
From the other thread it seems that the same cold that could kill the mold would ruin cigars and is much colder then the temps required to kill beetles and their larvae.

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
This is NOT just a Holt's matter. I purchased all of my Sharks from only 2 stores in Texas and most ALL of them have mold on them.

My question is this...Since you can freeze your cigars to rid beetles would it not make sense that you can do the same to get rid of mold? This whole ordeal really chaps my hide since I have 12 Sharks that are affected. I would much rather have the sticks than to have my money back or store credit for that matter.
If the mold isn't in the foot then the cigar is salvageable as you already know. Yes, having 12 cigars with mold on it is annoying. But I'd just as soon wipe them down with a slightly damp paper towel and put 'em back in the humi. If you're humi is on the drier side (62%-66%) then you'll be fine.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
i checked the two that had the mold on the wrapper. (didn't even think to check the foot) it's on both foots (or, is it feet) too. tried to scrape it off with my nail and took some of the tobacco with it. guess i'll be contacting holts.

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I have Anejo's in all vitolas but mostly the Shark. Most of the cigars have mold on them somewhere with the remainder not showing any mold. They are keep in my NC humi at 67% RH. The problem I'm having is I don't feel confident it keeping any of them since they are to be stored for at least a year in the humi before I start to smoke them. I already have 3 humi's so buying a fourth doesn't make sense to just experiment with these sticks.

It is a real shame because I too would rather have the cigars then get any money back but at this point I'm ready to scrap the whole year and start again next Holiday season. Hopefully they will fix the problem but one thing is for sure, I know I will take each cigar out of the cello for close inspection in the store next time. Hey we live, we learn!!!

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Well I made the trip downstairs into the basement and went over the 2 mixed boxes of Fuente products.

I am proud to say that I have 0 mold on any of my Fuente's. I do have a few silver dollars stashed away in my coolers, maybe they helped out in controlling the mold.

As a side note though, I was surprised to see the amount of sap on some of the cedar wrapped sticks though. Most notably were the cigars from 2004-2005. My holiday sampler and the OR King B's had the most sap, while the more recent release of the B's had none.
Go figure...

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Well I very carefully inspected my stash of Fuentes last night (various Opus, maddie Hemis, Anejo 48s, cammy and maddy Sharks) and everything was just fine; absolutely no mold whatsoever.

FYI, my Fuentes are all stored together (in the cello) inside an SLB cedar box which is kept in my Avanti wine chillador at 68º/65%.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
i have a very nice selection of AF's, with several unopened boxes of the sungrowns. i haven't noticed any other mold,,, just on the two cammy sharks!

how does mold spread? by contact or in the same vicinity? i have the sharks segregated,,, do i need to take out the two infected ones?

thanks,

jeff

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Mold spores most easily via direct contact or less likely way airborne.

I would place them in singles baggies and away from others best you can if you plan on keeping. Returning for money or replacement sooner than later is best.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Geez...I'm going to have to check my stash of Fuente's now.
I have a lot of Anejos that I bought at Holt's this season, and none of them has any mold. I buy a lot of cigars at Holt's and have never had mold on any of them. In fact, I have never had mold on any of my sticks, no matter where I bought them (can't say the same about beetles, though). Maybe I have just been lucky... :dunno:

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Checked my sharks. Sure enough, mold on one of em. Not much. Well, it gets smoked tonight.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
here was my response from holts:

"I do apologize for any inconvenience you are experiencing.
I am not familiar with others complaining about mold.
I do see we sold 4,095 samplers and only 3 have been returned.
#1 return was the sampler arrived damaged.
#2 return was the opus wrapper was unraveling
#3 return was returned by a customer in NY that believed the Shark had mold.
we did inspect this upon receipt, and it was plume not mold.

I do see another customer from Maryland called believing the Shark may be moldy, we did explain the difference between mold and plume and customer has decided it was plume and kept the sampler.

We no longer have this sampler available, but we do stand behind our guarantee.
If you wish to return these samplers we are unable to replace but we can credit your Visa.

Are you familiar with plume?
Plume, or bloom, (both terms are correct) is a common occurrence in premium, hand-rolled cigars. It means the cigar has exuded oils and small particles have attached to the oils. It does not damage the cigars. Your technique of using a small brush is appropriate; some people use sponges. However, be aware that cigars can also get mold. The mold usually has a bluish tint, unlike the white appearance of plume, and will stain your wrappers, which plume won't do. Mold is the direct result of a combination of high temperature (above 72 degrees) and excessive humidity.

Holts Cigar Co
Jackie"

i am surprised that there isn't many complaints, with all i've read, there seems to be a problem. also, sending the sampler back isn't an option, since i've smoked some of them already! nothing wrong with any other stick. not sure what i'll do.

jeff

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Tough spot Jeff, not an envious one to say the lest. Even if you smoked some sticks and just return the moldy shark(s) they should give you some type of credit for the bad ones.

I wonder who the customer is in MD?

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Are you familiar with plume?
Plume, or bloom, (both terms are correct) is a common occurrence in premium, hand-rolled cigars. It means the cigar has exuded oils and small particles have attached to the oils. It does not damage the cigars. Your technique of using a small brush is appropriate; some people use sponges. However, be aware that cigars can also get mold. The mold usually has a bluish tint, unlike the white appearance of plume, and will stain your wrappers, which plume won't do. Mold is the direct result of a combination of high temperature (above 72 degrees) and excessive humidity.

Holts Cigar Co
Jackie"
Wow, if it were me, I'd reply and ask them whether they actually know the difference between plume and mold!

I acknowledge that some folks can confuse plume and mold. But a part of their statement is incorrect. While mold is commonly bluish green, certain mold strains commonly found on tobacco start out WHITE and then turn a different color.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I guess Holt's believes that we can't tell the difference between mold & plume.

I know I can tell the difference. One needs a haircut and the other needs to be smoked.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
my response to holts:

yes, i am familiar with plume. this is not plume. in fact, i attempted to scrape
it off of the foot with my fingernail. took the tobacco with it! returning the
sampler would be difficult as i have smoked some of them already. also, there is no problem with any other stick, only two cammy sharks (i bought 5 samplers).

i mentioned that others have the same complaint. i belong to several cigar
boards. BOTL.org has a thread just addressing this (it's what got my attention).

http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=11515

i am surprised, as many stated they have contacted you,... in fact, one member received a message from Gregory Kushner...

also, http://www.cigarfamily.com/cf4/thread.cfm?Room=Cigar&threadId=45527&z=52

lots of mold going on,,, i don't believe it's a 'holts' thing, maybe an "AF'
thing....

thanks for the prompt response!

jeff

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
their response: prepaid envelope for me to send back the two sharks. will credit my account $8.50 per stick. wow! i wish i could find an anejo shark single for $8.50! out of the $50 5-pack, i'd think the shark would be the most expensive! well, guess it's better than not... NOT!