What's new

Fuente Anejo's with Mold!!!!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Holt's claims they will be in touch with Fuente regarding the mold issue. We'll see if Fuente takes the blame or whether they blame it on Holt's storage.
I don't see how they could possibly blame it soley on Holts since there are many people who have bought them from other places and are having similar mold issues.

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
This is definetly not a Holts storage issue since these were never stored. Remember these are sold as soon as they get them in. The Carlitos Way sampler was stored for a bit, I would guess, but the only cigar in it with a problem was the cammy shark. To me the mold issue is on Fuente only. The issue with Holts is their claim of plume and not acknowledging that the mold issue is a problem or even exists.

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
An update on my mold issues with Holts. I returned 18 Anejo cigars for a full refund on Friday. I received a cash refund of just under $170. I was a small consolation for returning the cigars and a sad time indeed. I was glad to see Holts do the right thing but I would have preferred to have the cigars instead. The $170 was the price I paid for the cigars plus the tax but it was no payback for the effort it took to aquire them, at 2 per day, or the fact I'll have no aged Anejo's to smoke a year from now. It was a lesson learned on inspecting cello cigars when I buy them.

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Inspecting them at purchase may not have done you any good. There was no evident mold on the Cameroon Shark when the sampler arrived. The mold issue appeared shortly thereafter. I'll be curious to see whether Fuente does a wholesale recall on their 2006 holiday Anejo's.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
An update on my mold issues with Holts. I returned 18 Anejo cigars for a full refund on Friday. I received a cash refund of just under $170. I was a small consolation for returning the cigars and a sad time indeed. I was glad to see Holts do the right thing but I would have preferred to have the cigars instead. The $170 was the price I paid for the cigars plus the tax but it was no payback for the effort it took to aquire them, at 2 per day, or the fact I'll have no aged Anejo's to smoke a year from now. It was a lesson learned on inspecting cello cigars when I buy them.
You should ask if you could have get first dibs on the next shipment or atleast a heads up prior to them going out on the floor.

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Didn't have a problem with the whole 2 Anejos I got this year, but my Hemingway Classic maduro had a couple specks on the foot. No biggie tho, it was like one itty bitty piece of mold so I just brushed it off and smoked it.

TYLER

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
We should do a actual poll to find out how many brothers on this forum alone bought samplers rom Holt's and then second find out exactly how many of those brothers have had mold issues with their samplers. I would be really interested to see the percentages.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
We should do a actual poll to find out how many brothers on this forum alone bought samplers rom Holt's and then second find out exactly how many of those brothers have had mold issues with their samplers. I would be really interested to see the percentages.

The Carlito's way sampler which included an exclusive sand shark (natural wrapper) was a Holt's exclusive and only sold in that sampler from what I read. If talking the natural wrapper problems will be 100% from Holt's. Like others say, more than likely these samplers were not stored at Holt's long enough to cause the problems. As most sharks seem to be the problem in both natural and maduro, must be how they are rolled at Fuente.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Wow, this is really a big issue. I never got around to ordering the sampler, just kept forgetting. I am glad I did not order it. I have two boxes worth of Anjeos from previous years so I didn't even bother picking up any 06's

It definitely seems like a Fuente problem. The store fronts have to fix the problem and I'm sure they will pass it along to fuente

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
you guys keep freaking me out!!! still no mold here, but i keep looking and i just dread every time i peek to see a jungle on my sticks!!! :angryteet

gpugliese

Beware the penguins...
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
If you still are looking for Anejo's, call up Tampa Sweethearts. They don't have them listed on the site, but when I called a few weeks back, they had plenty (with limits, of course).

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Thanks for the heads up but I think I'll wait till the next batch comes out around the Holidays. Hopefully they will have the mold issue fixed by then.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im Experiencing this same problem with my Anejos! I went through a box and found no issues with mold. I let another box rest for a couple of months and know that i remove the cello of one to enjoy i find it has some mold spots on the wrapper. My Anejos where bought at a B&M in Miami, Florida and not from Holts. It seems this is a regular problem with AF Anejos since this thread is from 2007. Its 2011 and they still have this problem. My humidor is set at a constant humidity of around 64. So humidity isnt the issue. Anyone have any insight as to what makes Anejos in particular prone to mold?

Thecatch83

I smoke Opus like candy!
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No mold on the fiver I got of 48's from bestcigarprices.com! Thanks for the heads up! I'm thinking about removing the cedar on the four I have left, and keeping a close eye on them as they age. If they are stored in temps say between 60-70 and RH at 65%, there shouldn't be an issue.....but what about the tobacco itself lends the Anejo to mold?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea you should remove the cedar so you can catch any mold before it gets to the foot and you cant salvage them! that would suck. Its a shame since aging them in their cedar sleeves probably gives the cigar a nice aroma. My cigars are all kept at around 64% Humidity and at around 75 F. Maybe the temp is on the high side. After looking around the web it seems this problem is common in anejos. I think it was in another forum i read about some other people having this same problem. It would be nice to here from the Fuentes on these problem.

No mold on the fiver I got of 48's from bestcigarprices.com! Thanks for the heads up! I'm thinking about removing the cedar on the four I have left, and keeping a close eye on them as they age. If they are stored in temps say between 60-70 and RH at 65%, there shouldn't be an issue.....but what about the tobacco itself lends the Anejo to mold?

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I hate reading a bunch of posts and then realizing after the fact it's 4 years old!?! LOL :(

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I hate reading a bunch of posts and then realizing after the fact it's 4 years old!?! LOL :(
X2.

My anejos are stored in all different ways. All have cedar on if they came, but some in plastic, some out.. My box of '08 Sharks are stored the way they came, checked them and they are good. I keep my numbers as close to 65%/65deg..

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Well checked my stach last night and found mold on the cello. After reading this thread I am going to have remove the cello to check the smokes. They are really moist so I think I will dry box for a couple of days. Unless there is a better way? Any input would be deply appreciated. I know the thread is old but it is a new problem for me.

THANKS !!!!