What's new

Fuente Anejo's with Mold!!!!

gpugliese

Beware the penguins...
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
their response: prepaid envelope for me to send back the two sharks. will credit my account $8.50 per stick. wow! i wish i could find an anejo shark single for $8.50! out of the $50 5-pack, i'd think the shark would be the most expensive! well, guess it's better than not... NOT!
Tampa Sweethearts had them for $8.50 back in January. That is the MSRP, though. PA doesn't have a cigar tax, so you only get $8.50.

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
my response to holts:

yes, i am familiar with plume. this is not plume. in fact, i attempted to scrape
it off of the foot with my fingernail. took the tobacco with it! returning the
sampler would be difficult as i have smoked some of them already. also, there is no problem with any other stick, only two cammy sharks (i bought 5 samplers).

i mentioned that others have the same complaint. i belong to several cigar
boards. BOTL.org has a thread just addressing this (it's what got my attention).

http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=11515

i am surprised, as many stated they have contacted you,... in fact, one member received a message from Gregory Kushner...

also, http://www.cigarfamily.com/cf4/thread.cfm?Room=Cigar&threadId=45527&z=52

lots of mold going on,,, i don't believe it's a 'holts' thing, maybe an "AF'
thing....

thanks for the prompt response!

jeff

Thanks for the good read. It's nice to hear that this is NOT an isolated incedence. It appears to me that this is indeed a quality control issue that needs to be resolved....IMMEDIATELY!

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
I went through mine last night and really did not find anything, which is quite lucky given what I've been reading here. I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on them.

Some are kept in a desktop that stays pretty much at 70/70 and the others are in a cedar box in a cabinet that's at 68/64. It's the desktop that I'm most concerned about, as it's in my den that's built over the garage, so the temp can spike in there on a sunny day, even in the winter.

Thinking about the "plume vs. mold" reponse that Jeff received...doesn't plume take quite some time to form on a cigar? I thought that a cigar had to be several years old and kept relatively undisturbed in great conditions to achieve plume. Mold on the other hand, I thught could sprout in a matter of weeks. Can anybody clarify this for me?

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Thinking about the "plume vs. mold" reponse that Jeff received...doesn't plume take quite some time to form on a cigar? I thought that a cigar had to be several years old and kept relatively undisturbed in great conditions to achieve plume. Mold on the other hand, I thught could sprout in a matter of weeks. Can anybody clarify this for me?

Below found at cigar nexus:

Rejoice! To find white powdery spots is a good sign that your cigars are aging beautifully. The appearance of these white spots, called bloom or plume, means that the essential oils contained in the tobacco have come to the surface of the cigar. They are easily brushed off.

However, if the spots are blue/green and leave a stain when you brush them off, the spots are probably mold. Mold is a damaging fungus that results from storing cigars in too high humidity and will ruin the taste of your cigars. In this case, separate the affected cigars from the others and clean your humidor. Leave your cigars outside the humidor for a few days until you are sure that the mold growth has stopped. It is important to bring down the humidity inside the humidor before placing the cigars in it again.

If the mold appears to be just on the surface of the wrapper and has not spread to the interior, the taste may not be affected.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Below found at CA:

Plume, or bloom, (both terms are correct) is a common occurrence in premium, hand-rolled cigars. It means the cigar has exuded oils and small particles have attached to the oils. It does not damage the cigars. Your technique of using a small brush is appropriate; some people use sponges. However, be aware that cigars can also get mold. The mold usually has a bluish tint, unlike the white appearance of plume, and will stain your wrappers, which plume won't do. Mold is the direct result of a combination of high temperature (above 72 degrees) and excessive humidity. If you find mold on your cigars, check your humidor immediately.

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
after reading this I did a check of mine , they r all good .............

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Well, for shits and giggles I checked my Holt's sampler and whaddya know. The only cigar in the sampler with WHITE MOLD (not plume) is the Cameroon Shark. In the foot, big splotches of mold. PLUME does not grow in the foot of the cigar!!!

Got on the phone with Holt's customer service. They tried giving me the plume story....uhhhh, not having it. "Yes sir, you have mold. We'll credit your card right away for the entire sampler. A prepaid shipping label is being sent out to return the sampler."

They are aware of this problem. I am the 4th person returning the sampler. They have read the boards and are aware there is a problem. Coincidentally, I'll be stopping by Mahogany for a few smokes. I thought about popping downstairs to show them the problematic cigars but the store folks are different from the mail order people so it wouldn't do much good.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Here's some BLOOM -vs- MOLD info that I gathered up about a year ago...

CIGAR MOLD
Mold is a fungus, growing on overly humidified sogies. It is recognized
as white, gray, or blue-green "fuzzy patches" with a definite dimension to
them. Mold spreads by spores, so it's important to get rid of any moldy
cigars immediately, before they contaminate your other cigars or the mold gets
into the wood of your humidor. Mold often appears when the RH passes 85%.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

CIGAR BLOOM
Bloom refers to the slow rising of "essential oils" to the surface of a cigar.
It first shows up as tiny (almost microscopic) crystals on the surface,
and can eventually make a cigar look slightly "dusty" with a whitish finish
on the surface. Not only is it harmless, some prefer to see a little
bloom, as an indication of strong taste.

BLOOM CLOSEUP

MOLD CLOSEUP

SOURCES:

http://www.superiorcigars.com/cigarprobl.php
http://home.alltel.net/jbperry/cig.htm

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
They are aware of this problem. I am the 4th person returning the sampler. They have read the boards and are aware there is a problem.
it really sucks that they are aware of the problem, yet are doing nothing about it,
other than refunding the few people who call and complain, seems like a recall or at least a warning to all the customers that purchased the sampler would would go a long way in PR for Holts/ Fuente,
considering how dangerous mold can be to an expensive collection of cigars.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
The shark I bought from Holts in the sampler had a slight mold. Smoke it this morning.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's quite disturbing to hear so many people experiencing mold on these fine cigars! I hope Fuente is taking this problem seriously and doing something about it!

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
It's quite disturbing to hear so many people experiencing mold on these fine cigars! I hope Fuente is taking this problem seriously and doing something about it!
Holt's claims they will be in touch with Fuente regarding the mold issue. We'll see if Fuente takes the blame or whether they blame it on Holt's storage.