What's new

gardening

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
This had been such a mild and unseasonably warm winter here in middle America. Makes me wonder when to plant this spring. Usually in my area very late April-early May is the norm.
I've been burned in the past trying to get things in early because of a warm winter so I'm going to wait until Mother's Day like usual. We had a hard freeze in April here in KC seems about 7-8 years ago. It is tempting though.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I am tempted every year to try to start planting in mid April, but better sense takes over and I wait until around the 25th and haven't been damaged yet. I also plant over a period of at
least 2 weeks with plants that mature from 65-90 days to scatter the harvest over a longer period of time. I usually try to get a few 65 day plants in early so I have ripe tomatoes by July 4th.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been burned in the past trying to get things in early because of a warm winter so I'm going to wait until Mother's Day like usual. We had a hard freeze in April here in KC seems about 7-8 years ago. It is tempting though.
I tried to sneak some tomato and pepper plants in year before last in late March and lost half of them. But it had been so warm!? :sour::D

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I tried to sneak some tomato and pepper plants in year before last in late March and lost half of them. But it had been so warm!? :sour::D
I did the same thing the year before last and lost all my peppers and I start them from seed so I had to go out and purchase plants. Can't fool Mother Nature .

I will be starting lettuce, spinach, peas, potatoes, carrots and brussel sprouts around St Patrick's Day outside. I have also had in white and red onions and garlic over wintering since October.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did the same thing the year before last and lost all my peppers and I start them from seed so I had to go out and purchase plants. Can't fool Mother Nature .

I will be starting lettuce, spinach, peas, potatoes, carrots and brussel sprouts around St Patrick's Day outside. I have also had in white and red onions and garlic over wintering since October.
We probably got bit by the same frost. I doubt Merriam has much different weather than Jefferson City. :)

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Sounds great!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Started out with around 60 or so habanero, bag of carrots, one red onion, 2 white onion, equivalent of a couple heads of garlic

Chop it all up and throw it in a pot with some olive oil, sea salt and about a cup of water. Cook it all together until it's nice and soft

Toss it all in the food processor.

I filled a couple mason jars at this point and then cut what was left in the processor with white vinegar until it was a good consistency to pour out of a bottle.

Hot water bath for the mason jars and put the pourable sauce in a bottle.

Made some hot oil while I was waiting for everything to soften up

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Started out with around 60 or so habanero, bag of carrots, one red onion, 2 white onion, equivalent of a couple heads of garlic

Chop it all up and throw it in a pot with some olive oil, sea salt and about a cup of water. Cook it all together until it's nice and soft

Toss it all in the food processor.

I filled a couple mason jars at this point and then cut what was left in the processor with white vinegar until it was a good consistency to pour out of a bottle.

Hot water bath for the mason jars and put the pourable sauce in a bottle.

Made some hot oil while I was waiting for everything to soften up

Thanks! Will you add vinegar to the mason jar mixture when you run out of the one in the pouring jar or are they for different uses?

Btw, I like the idea of using carrots. I take it you are using them to cut the heat with the natural sweetness of them instead of using sugar as well as add some flavor.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Thanks! Will you add vinegar to the mason jar mixture when you run out of the one in the pouring jar or are they for different uses?

Btw, I like the idea of using carrots. I take it you are using them to cut the heat with the natural sweetness of them instead of using sugar as well as add some flavor.
Yes, I'll use the mason jars to make more pourable sauce when I run out. I also use it the way it is and spread it on sandwiches or to mix with ranch for a dipping sauce for something like bread stick or pizza crust.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Had a rough night in San Antonio with storms. Came home to a downed section of fence. Looked at my fruit trees, and my Chinese plum has several suckers hiding about 2 feet tall. It is from old stock. the mother is not Comercial ( the fruit all ripen at different rates) if anyone nearby wants one PM me.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Tilling this week and Transplants going in this weekend. Since doc says stay away from the carbs that means no potatoes or corn this year. Lots of maters, peas, beans, peppers, squash and eggplant.

StogieFisher

Trolling troll is trolling.
Rating - 100%
54   0   0

Herbs, peas, tomatoes, bell pepper (red, green and yellow), jalapeños, Thai chilies, and a pepper that's from my buddy's island in Micronesia.
Very nice! Now all you need is a timer and drip irrigation system hooked up to that faucet so you can spend more time smoking cigars! ;)