What's new

gardening

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Looking good. I've never grown garlic. Do you start with a bulb or seed?
You start with a garlic clove and it turns into a head of garlic. Very easy to grow. I've had the best luck planting it in October and harvesting it the next summer. This year I got sidetracked and didn't get it in until February, but it should be fine.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You start with a garlic clove and it turns into a head of garlic. Very easy to grow. I've had the best luck planting it in October and harvesting it the next summer. This year I got sidetracked and didn't get it in until February, but it should be fine.
Thanks. So, can you just take one from the grocery, split it up and plant, or get them specifically for planting? Sounds like spring is too late, is that correct?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thanks. So, can you just take one from the grocery, split it up and plant, or get them specifically for planting? Sounds like spring is too late, is that correct?
A lot of the garlic in the store has a chemical used on them to keep them from spouting to soon. I have always purchased mine at a garden center. I say go ahead and try planting it now and maybe just use garlic from a natural grocery store. You never know, it's cheap and it might work out just fine.

StogieFisher

Trolling troll is trolling.
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I have planted in early spring and been OK before, not sure if its too late but give it a shot! As far as sources I like the variety you can get online at some of the larger garlic seed sources such as filaree farm. I grow Inchelium Red, Chesnok Red, Music and Creole Red. Once you have some of your own bulbs you can save some of the largest cloves for planting in fall and you wont have to buy more stock unless you want to try a different variety.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I am going to try growing garlic this fall. Sounds pretty easy and who doesn't like garlic.
I love growing tomatoes and this year I have gotten a little carried away with planting 30 plants. All varieties I have never grown or eaten before. 25 are heirlooms. So far they are doing well and are setting on fruit. My wife thinks I've lost my mind by growing so many. She may be right.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
First full summer in our house for my wife and I. Built a small raised better over Mother's Day weekend. Had to cover for frost this weekend. Still going strong tho.

We have cherry tomatoes, tomatoes, lettuce, radishes, green peppers, green beans, pablano peppers, Hungarian hot peppers (I think that's what they are called), and assorted herbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Lost everything last night. Mothers Day my ass.....

That sucks man. We lost a couple of tropical plants we over winter in the house. They were both over 7 years old. Put them out last weekend like we do every year and this cold got us. 42° in mid May is a joke. Glad I waited on the summer veggies until today.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0

Blueberries and a couple of strawberries. Plan to put in some more strawberries and then expand the bed with raspberries and blackberries.

Got these in today. Haven't decided whether or not I want to raise it next year. Still want to expand this for more plants. Tomatoes, sweet potatoes, jalapeños, poblanos, banana peppers and bell peppers plus a watermelon and cantaloupe. Still want to do a few more pepper and tomato varieties and some corn.