What's new

Help, my car is stroking out

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Snow, Ice, and Salt some places use to melt ice & snow kill cars. JMHO. I lived up by Lake Tahoe, and the road Salt was like our worst enemy, our cars because rust buckets.

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
Careful right now that you don't get one that's been flooded. But really, once you get this fixed you should be fine for a while.
that's what I thought after 2017... replaced tie rod ends, both front control arms, struts and shocks all around, back calipers/brakepads, serp. belt, battery, and both sets of sway bar links and bushings!

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
that's what I thought after 2017... replaced tie rod ends, both front control arms, struts and shocks all around, back calipers/brakepads, serp. belt, battery, and both sets of sway bar links and bushings!
Those are wear parts, especially on salty or rough roads, but whenever someone recommends that much work, I'd get a second or third opinion. I'd seek out a sharp, honest, independent mechanic. Preferably one that likes cigars... ;)

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
Those are wear parts, especially on salty or rough roads, but whenever someone recommends that much work, I'd get a second or third opinion. I'd seek out a sharp, honest, independent mechanic. Preferably one that likes cigars... ;)
no doubt, tie rod ends and sway bar links didn't have to be replaced, but figured might as well if I can get another 8yrs out of the car haha and parts weren't expensive/ez install.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
no doubt, tie rod ends and sway bar links didn't have to be replaced, but figured might as well if I can get another 8yrs out of the car haha and parts weren't expensive/ez install.
Very true. worst wreck of my life was due to a tie rod failure. horrible.
I think this is just a minor but problematic issue, that once sorted out, you'll be good to go for a while.

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
Well, now it's at the STEALER :woot: !
Hope they aren't too rough on ya.
They're only $10 more an hour lol. Plus iam sure they have any advanced tools on hand to troubleshoot specifically what the issue is compared to the indi guy I was throwing money at! my one mechanic I use was like no thx, didn't even want to look at it lol.

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
dealer shop called, narrowed it down to 1 of 2 items... the expensive one they're trying to rule out.. throttle body.... and other is the crank position sensor. Should know more tomorrow.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
They're only $10 more an hour lol. Plus iam sure they have any advanced tools on hand to troubleshoot specifically what the issue is compared to the indi guy I was throwing money at! my one mechanic I use was like no thx, didn't even want to look at it lol.
You would think they have more advanced tools. My wife’s car battery kept dying and the a/c started not working intermittently then not at all. Couldn’t find anything wrong and just recommended a refrigerant recharge.

My FIL’s mechanic figured out it was a bad a/c compressor relay. Fixed both the ac and the draining battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
You would think they have more advanced tools. My wife’s car battery kept dying and the a/c started not working intermittently then not at all. Couldn’t find anything wrong and just recommended a refrigerant recharge.

My FIL’s mechanic figured out it was a bad a/c compressor relay. Fixed both the ac and the draining battery.

Which is why I don't go to the other mazda dealer in the area, they're tards and missed hard on a diagnosis that even Conrads told me about...

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
The problem with the throttle body is, just be prepared.... the problem could return. It's usually the TPS (throttle position sensor) that fails. It operates the butterfly, and tells the Engine Control Module what position the throttle is in. Obviously when the computer has no idea where the throttle is, she goes "limp mode' or "shut down" . But the computer knows to throw the code. I think it's P0300
Hopefully the new throttle body comes with a new TPS !
Your gas pedal is the third part of this love triangle. It talks to the TPS ( green circle )

Crank position sensor was on our radar and your other shop ruled it out. Hopefully the first shop was wrong !
The sensor can be tested, but with the clock on labor, replacing the sensor with new while you have it out is definitely the way to go.

Just some info for ya. The new shop has the ball, so. . Hopefully they figure it out. !

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
There use to be a joke about Harley Davidson Delaers, we use to call them "STEALERS". Honestly if you are not careful you local car deal will try & steal from you.

Most don't understand the golden rules is a two way document.

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
There use to be a joke about Harley Davidson Delaers, we use to call them "STEALERS". Honestly if you are not careful you local car deal will try & steal from you
Most don't understand the golden rules is a two way document.
s'ok, already armed with prices, think he said $530 for throttle body (has sensor tacked on there). Found it from another mazda dealer, new oem, $355.... so ya, iam ready if its that. Doesn't look like you can just attach another TPS sensor on these things.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
If they do the throttle body job, Keep the old one. If the problem returns you can sell the old one on eblay. They go from $50-$100 for used ones. That's a few cigars !
Those are actually easy to install, but it would be the last thing I replace. I said "300" earlier, but the code it would throw is actually 2176 - "idle position not learned"
Your money's on that shop, and nobody likes an " armchair quarterback" so, lets see how they do. .. .. good luck (y)

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
And the car is now fixed. They figured out the crank sensor was arcing within itself and causing the issue with random misfire. 2hrs diagnostics and labor and part $260
We were both posting the same time it appears. Perfect ! I am very happy to hear that ! LOL
(I was really not on board with the new throttle body idea !)