What's new

How do you pick your DE razorblade?

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I still need to jump on this wagon. I have a badger brush and soap and I absolutely love it. I may try to pull the trigger on the razor soon. I have been using the same razor all my life; that is the only reason I'm hesitant. I use the Gillette Sensor Excel.
so, bomb rex? i approve! o)
Uhhhhh... No way am i passin' up that opportunity! PM javajunkie for my addy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've found that I need to shave with one type of blade consistently for about two weeks. Feathers give me by far the closest and smoothest shave for a few days, but after an extended period of using them my fave gets really irritated. I've found the Gillette 7 o'clock lines to be the best for me so far. I think the only way is trial and error.

I've a have number of 5 packs of blades that I've tried and won't use again but other people seem to like. PM me your address, and I'd be happy to send you a variety of one's to try.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
+1 to Bigfoot's comment. I find Derbys just a hair less aggressive than Feathers & you can get 100 count for about $12 delivered.
It's funny how different personal preferences can be. Feathers are scary sharp for me but nearly perfect. New Derbys feel dull and take chunks out of my already ugly mug. I have about 93 blades left from that same box sitting unused.

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
Te feathers are a shade too much for me. I've settled on the Bic Chrome. Just got a hundred for $17 delivered. I find them far better than the other dozen or so I tried; smoother shave, last a bit longer, more consistent. If feathers are a 10, they're an 8.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Damn.. Mod is up to something fishy...
always. o)

and, FWIW, i always sign the edit so people on the site know, and try to use italics so the people on the phone know. also, you do need bombing. just sayin'.

ON topic, just got a small pile of feather in, and another blade sampler on top of the one the wifey got me for christmas. actually big differences in each, but your own face and hand are the final arbiter on what works for you. i am sure the handle makes a difference, but the dude is the final deciding factor.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I'm working on two samplers I bought.

So far I like the Astra and the Shark the best. The feathers eat my face to much. It might be that I don't shave every day...I wait 2 days and then shave. I only use a blade for two shaves though and then replace it. My hair is thick and I like to keep a sharp blade.

I do want to find a new handle. I use the Merkur 34c and really like it, but thinking about finding an adjustable head handle.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
BTW, I did pick up a Parker SR1 Stainless Steel Straight Edge Razor for touching up areas. I tried it once for the full shave but my right side was all nicked up since I'm no good with it using my left hand. I guess I'm not flexible enough to use my right hand while shaving the right side of my face.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Derbys cut my face so bad at work one day I felt extremely self conscious on a call with the public. I was bleeding in several spots so bad it wouldn't stop. The prep wasn't as good as I do at home. But still they cut me good on multy times. Feathers are the cats meow to me. For my face I'm not looking anywhere else. Just ordered a 50 pack off amazon last week.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I know this maybe slightly off topic but I can't imagine trying a shave like that. It's a single straight razor, me knowing myself I would slice my face up good. I use my Gillette Mach 5.

I guess the question that I have is there a lot of prep to shaving this way. Also this all sounds pretty cool and interesting. Don't want to step on any toes.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
yes, there IS prep, but even with the extra steps it is hella cost effective over cartridges, result effective over electric, and just more satifying and enjoyable an experience.

as for the blade cutting the crap out of you: you remember how these old DE handles had a domed head? that naturally stretches the skin and places just the very edge barely against the skin. using good soaps, and taking extra steps, ensures a safe and smooth glide, and a clean result after. just go for slow and long strokes, and use multiple passes, with very little pressure at all, and you would be amazed. o)

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Well Java I think I will maybe look into this still though it is pretty scary if you've never attempted anything like this. I will look around and see what I can find.

What all do you use for prep and shaving.

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
What Sean said. Disposables are quicker and safer for the most part. However, the de I started with, the Merkur 180, was very forgiving as it does not have a very wide opening to expose the blade. I'm using the micro touch one that rev.b sent me for Xmas--it's the one from the Pawn Stars guy, and it's great. It's not as forgiving as the 180 but has a better feel and a butterfly opening, and it can be had for $20. It's solid brass and ss, it's beautiful. As far as prep, the only thing I do differently is pre-shave oil, which I make myself for pennies on the dollar compared to what you can buy. Overall, it takes a little but longer than the old way but you get a better shave and a much more enjoyable experience. Also, you save a ton of money. A ton. I just bought 100 blades for $17. How much would you pay for 100 Mach 5 blades? To each his own, but this is really worth the try.

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
Oh, and for aftershave, I've gone back to aqua velva, old spice, and pinard. All cheapies but they smell great and they work like a champ.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I know this maybe slightly off topic but I can't imagine trying a shave like that. It's a single straight razor, me knowing myself I would slice my face up good. I use my Gillette Mach 5.

I guess the question that I have is there a lot of prep to shaving this way. Also this all sounds pretty cool and interesting. Don't want to step on any toes.
How many blades does a mach 5 have? 3 or 4? The DE safty we are talking about has one, and it is positioned in practically the same way. Less blades seems less scary to me... The only thing it doesn't have is that "give" cartridge razors have, so you can nick yourself if you push too hard. This also means a smoother, closer out come.

Do it! (you know you wanna!)

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I have to reiterate what others have said...jump on it and you won't look back. I just made the jump a couple months ago and will never go back to cartridges (other than for my head).

My whole shave takes me 5-8 minutes. I shave right after getting out of the shower so my face is soft and ready. While my brush is warming up I re-wet my face and apply shave oil. Then take my brush and use a bit of shave soap and lather up my face. Shave with the grain of the hair for pass one. Re-lather with the brush and then I shave across my face (ear to nose) for the second pass. Rinse face, then soak a wash clothe in COLD water and apply to face to shock the face/pores. Pat dry and apply skin lotion. Done.