What's new

It's the weekend, what did YOU cook?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this thread on several other boards, and figured it was time to start it here. So, here we go!

Last night, I made a Cuban Style Chicken. Found the recipe in Bon Appetit. Came out fantastic.

Tonight, I made a roast beef, roasted asparagus, and a red wine, sundried tomato, and thyme risotto.

What can I say, I like to provide good meals for the family.

Alan

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks tasty. I made a spicy beef sauce. Made "Mexican pizza" for my mom and myself. Wasn't bad.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I'm coming with Randy! We'll bring the cigars and liquor!

I made a batch of Bourbon BBQ beef jerky today

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
A few weeks ago for the annual Christmas party I made Ropa Vieja, black beans and rice, Taquilla shrimp and roast pork with mango/papaya salsa.
Tonight it was a Subway Sandwich with the games at the Hampton Inn. What can I say ,I'm workin out of town.
The only constant in my life is good cigars..........I can live with it.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Looks great!!

Smoked a Sirloin Roast on the grill- something for me to eat for the next 4-5 days. Will grill a chicken tommorrow with a my NC style vinegar BBQ sauce. My oldest son and I will try to eat the whole chicken ourselves.

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wow looks good!

All I made this weekend was a batch of Almond ice cream with toffee chips and dark chocolate chips.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Making a pizza right now!

I followed this recipe copied from another board:

Over the years I had more people ask for my pizza recipe, I hope you try mine a couple times - don't be dissapointed if it doesn't quite turn out the first time: with a little practice and adjustments on the dough thickness, the sauce and what toppings you use you'll be making "Pies From Heaven". Ain't nothing like a really good homemade pizza. When I make this dough recipe I usually end up with a lot more dough than I intended to use that day, so what I do is make a bunch of small and medium sized pizzas with the leftover dough and PARTIALLY BAKE them, let them cool, put them in freezer bags and freeze them. You get a late night Jones for a pizza or you have unexpected guests drop in you're covered. Enjoy

Mis en place

DOUGH
1 package dry yeast
1/2 Tsp white sugar
1 cup tepid water
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups bread flour

SAUCE
1 Jar your favorite pasta sauce
1 TBLS garlic chili paste (or Tabasco sauce)
1 TBLS Herbs de Provance
1 TBLS dry Oregano
1 TSP red pepper flake
2 TBLS white sugar

TOPPINGS
1-2 Cups grated mozzarella
1 Cup (grated parmesan, asiagio, provolone, ricottta)
meats
vegetables (be careful you don't add too many vegetables - you'll end up with a soupy top)

The dough: first I gotta teach you something about your ingredients here. Flour is made from processed wheat - flour has something called gleuten in it, part of the wheat grain - when making dough you knead the dough and in the process you work the gleuten in the flour. The more you work the dough the more you work the gleuten - as you're working the dough you'll notice some resistance, the dough gets a little elastic and tough - that's because you've worked up the gleuten, like working muscles when working out, working the gleuten in the dough will give your crust a nice "snap". That's a good thing.

Fill your mixing bowl with hot tap water, let stand about 2 minutes - you are "tempering" the bowl to remove the chill from it - yeast works best at body temperature - so if you start off with a cold bowl you're yeast won't grow as well as it could. Drain the bowl and now add 1 cup TEPID tap water (doesn't feel hot or cold on your had, it's roughly body temperature). Add dry yeast and white sugar and combine. Let stand about 10 minutes, meanwhile turn on your oven so your work area is pleasantly cozy - never make breads or doughs in a cold and drafty work area... The sugar you added to the water acts as food for the yeast to feed on. After 4 or 5 minutes you'll notice some activity on the surface of the water, some brown foam... at the end of 10 minutes the yeast will have come alive and you can proceed.

SLOWLY add half the flours to the water, with a large wooden spoon or spatula fold the flour and water together, adding a bit of flour at a time until the dough starts to come away from the sides of the bowl. NEVER add all the flour at once, chances are you'll have too much flour and end up with what we call a "slack dough" that's impossible to work properly (throw that away and start over). Add an additional dusting of flour and switch from the wooden spoon to working the dough with your closed fist, pushing down into the dough with your fist while turning the bowl with your other hand a quarter turn. Push down and turn, push down and turn. Repeat this for about 2 minutes - if the dough starts sticking to your fist, dust the dough with a tiny bit more flour. Work the dough for total of about 4 minutes - feel that gleuten toughening up and the dough working a little tighter ?? You're getting there. Now cover the mixing bowl with a soft towel and place in a warm not drafty location for at least 30 minutes. Prepare your sauce, grate your cheeses and prep your toppings, have a glass of wine.

Sauce: combine all ingredients listed and mix well.

Preparation, with oven preheated to 450 take a piece of your dough, dust the work surface with a small amount of flour (or use my favorite Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix) with an old wine bottle or rolling pin roll the dough thin, turn it over and dust with a little more flour and roll that side - if the gleuten got worked well the dough will try to shrink back a bit as you roll it out (a good sign). Now LIBERALLY grease a cast iron skillet or heavy aluminum sheet pan with a couple of GLUGS of EVO and place your dough out, pushing dough into edges of the pan. Next add sauce, a very liberal dose of assorted cheeses and your toppings. Season the top of the pie with some garlic salt, a little more Herbs de Provance and a dash of red pepper flake. Into the hot 450 degree oven for 15 minutes, rotate the pan 180 degrees and bake approximately another 8-12 minutes depending on how big your pie is and how "hot" your oven is. Remove pie from oven and let rest about 5-8 minutes before cutting into it - giving the ingredients to rest - you cut the pizza too soon and it'll go all runny on you.