What's new

Journey of a Renovation Rookie

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the baseplate for the countertop in, as well as mounted some heavy duty support brackets to aid the countertop. Finally got an install date for Friday! Can't wait.

Where did you pick up the counter top brackets??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut out the recession for soaps and whatnot, and got a bit more tile done. Not as much as I'd hoped, but it's moving along.

Nice work! I have never done tile before, so I don't know how this works exactly... will you have to take off the tile along the bottom of your cut out for the recessed storage so that you can seal that seam?

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Where did you pick up the counter top brackets??
Not sure if you are familiar with countertops, but normally you shouldn't need brackets unless there is a large overhang or some other factor. In my case, the countertop I ordered was 3cm thick as opposed to the average 2cm that you get with most granite/quartz. On most countertops, there would be a drop edge and the actual countertop itself would be mounted on a piece of plywood. With the countertop I ordered being 3cm and the 7.5" overhang on one side of the counter, the install company strongly advised against mounting on ply with a drop edge. They told me the countertop would hold fine being mounted on the top of 5 studs, which I didn't see as being the ideal solution. So to create more surface area, I mounted a 1x6 (trimmed down to 4.5") across the opening, and recessed the countertop brackets into this. The brackets are intended to hold up to 300lbs each according to the manufacturer. This may be overkill, but it seemed much more logical than gluing an 84"x15" piece of countertop to nothing more than the surface area of the top of 5 studs.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XIK3D5S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nice work! I have never done tile before, so I don't know how this works exactly... will you have to take off the tile along the bottom of your cut out for the recessed storage so that you can seal that seam?
Assuming I did this properly I should not have to remove any tile, so keep your fingers crossed lol. I will post pics to show how I handled this without having to remove tile. The gist of it, is that the bottom portion of the shelf should come level with the edge of the opening, so the seal should be on the inside of the recession.

I waited to run the tile before cutting the recess because I wanted the grout lines to align and avoid any potential small cuts.