What's new

Journey of a Renovation Rookie

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Are you sure you want textured walls?
Are you grouting or caulking between the top row of tile and ceiling?
Textured walls are pretty standard in CA - 90% of houses have them. Also, the rest of my house has Splatter Knockdown style texturing, so it would look odd for just the bathroom to have smooth walls.

I haven't decided what I am doing between the top row of tile and the ceiling - the gap is too big for grout or calk without them looking funny. Originally, I was going to butt the tile up all the way against the ceiling and put a caulk bead.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Textured walls are pretty standard in CA - 90% of houses have them. Also, the rest of my house has Splatter Knockdown style texturing, so it would look odd for just the bathroom to have smooth walls.

I haven't decided what I am doing between the top row of tile and the ceiling - the gap is too big for grout or calk without them looking funny. Originally, I was going to butt the tile up all the way against the ceiling and put a caulk bead.
I recommend caulking at the ceiling and all inside corners. As the house flexes and swells throughout the year, the movement can crack grout in those areas. It might not be that big of a problem in CA where you don't have actual seasons.
How big is the gap between the last full row and the ceiling?

memphsdad

Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I recommend caulking at the ceiling and all inside corners. As the house flexes and swells throughout the year, the movement can crack grout in those areas. It might not be that big of a problem in CA where you don't have actual seasons.
How big is the gap between the last full row and the ceiling?
Yes I planned to caulk all of those areas.

The gap varies between 1/4" and 1/2"due to the walls being uneven

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
The gap varies between 1/4" and 1/2"due to the walls being uneven
Yikes. I don't know what to tell you to do there. If it is that glazed ceramic wall tile, you might not be able to cut something that small. Maybe even with a wet saw. That was a problem that needed to be addressed with the initial layout. Have you considered crown molding?

memphsdad

Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Yikes. I don't know what to tell you to do there. If it is that glazed ceramic wall tile, you might not be able to cut something that small. Maybe even with a wet saw. That was a problem that needed to be addressed with the initial layout. Have you considered crown molding?
Crown molding would not look right - I can cut the tile that small, I have a wetsaw and it's probably the route I will take, just a PITA

memphsdad

Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Also, it's not really something that could have been addressed in the initial layout (as far as the sloping of the walls/ceiling goes), it's just happenstance with an older house that has settled. I could have cut a half row on the bottom and had a half row on the top, but this being my first tile experience I didn't look far enough ahead to plan for that issue. Either way, I'd be in a tough spot for cutting the top row of tile.

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
For texture, thin some mud out and roll it on with a long nap paint roller.. 3/4" should work fine, but there are rollers made for this. then, once it dries, hit it lightly with your putty knife or sanding block to knock off the high spots.. I'd suggest trying on a scrap first, to get the technique down..
And the tiles looking good! I'd cut that top row of times at the lowest measurement, and caulk the remaining gap.. don't want the top line to appear stepped..

memphsdad

Rating - 100%
116   0   0
On the home stretch now boys! I will be a very happy man when this bathroom is complete and no longer the bane of my existence.

Got the sink and all associated plumbing installed this weekend. Also, finished grouting the shower, hoping to have the shower up and running by Wednesday at the latest.

Remaining work:
-Caulk corners, ceiling, and base of shower.
-Grout half wall outside of shower, opposite toilet.
-Attach baseboards.
-Apply 2nd coat of mud and have walls textured.
-After texturing, paint and hang medicine cabinet.

[

memphsdad

Rating - 100%
116   0   0
You couldn't really tell in the pics from yesterday, but the windows still needed the additional vinyl trim. Got that taken care of yesterday, and also cleaned the tile and tub up.

Fixtures and caulking will be done today, shower should be fully operational by tomorrow. *crosses fingers*