What's new

Keto - Gettin Healthy on Steak and Bacon. Info, Tips, and Recipes

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
As a diabetic eating low carb is a way of life. (unfortunately one I don't always follow).
I've not read the whole thread but what I have seen is good information. One thing that is very important if you are on a low carb diet is to make sure you are getting enough potassium. I take a supplemental pill 2 to 3 times a week.
Another little tip is to drink a small amount of apple cider vinegar before meals and at bed time. 1 tablespoon in a small glass of water. It's a bit tart, but not that bad. Studies have shown that it will increase the bodies insulin receptors allowing the carbs to be burned off naturally and lowering blood sugar.

One think you will will need to plan for is the long term lifestyle change. When you reach that weight loss goal and start easing carbs back in the weight will come back fast. (been there done that) So think long term.

If you like adult beverages whiskey (Scotch, Bourbon,and that stuff they make in Canada as well) for the most part have 0 carbs. Some like Fireball and flavored ones have some carbs, and of course mix it with something (Ok to do with that Canadian stuff) and you have the carbs from the mixer.

So keep up the good work. But binge eating a bag of Lays days are over. :)

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Wowza,

Took me all day and I have finally gotten through this thread. I've been toying with Keto for a bit now (I've toyed with a lot of "diets", for the most part, I'm just too lazy). I even had a thread on here about it asking some questions. I'm going to ask a couple again. But first some background on me. I'm 5' 10'', around 180. Not particularly in shape, mostly "dad bod" type. Most people think I weigh less than I do. I'd like to get down to about 165 or so and get more toned, etc in general. I'm super super super super lazy and really bad at these things. I KNOW this will take some serious self control and work on my end. In 2019, I'm going to try to be better about that. Here's some questions I have:
1) Where do I start? Like I get reading about it, but like do you just do one day and say thats the day I'm starting? How did everyone start?
2) Can I "ease" into this? Like can I go to say under 100g Carbs to start, then go from there?
3) HELP (this thread is a ton of help, trust me). I'm someone that needs his hand held on this crap. I hate diets and nutrition. Haha.

Thanks guys! Good info for sure here.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You'll get better results by picking a start date. The only keto I've done is Atkins. For that the first 15 days you eat less than 20 carbs a day. These helps your body kick into ketosis, where it burns fat instead of carbs. Most people loose 15 pounds in that time period and you will pee a lot. (water weight) However, this is not a starvation diet. You can eat pretty much all the meat, fish, poultry you want. Just have to watch carbs closely. And they are sneeky, you have to learn to read ALL food labels and you'll be astounded at how many things have tons of carbs. And the labels are missleading. It might say 5 carbs per serving, but the top of the label that most people don't look at might say serving size 1/2 cup 10 servings per container. And you normally eat half the container - so do the math.
If all you have to loose is 20 pounds or so you might be you can probably just look at what you eat and make adjustments. No bread, sugar, chips and add some light excersize.

Just my thoughs.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Wowza,

Took me all day and I have finally gotten through this thread. I've been toying with Keto for a bit now (I've toyed with a lot of "diets", for the most part, I'm just too lazy). I even had a thread on here about it asking some questions. I'm going to ask a couple again. But first some background on me. I'm 5' 10'', around 180. Not particularly in shape, mostly "dad bod" type. Most people think I weigh less than I do. I'd like to get down to about 165 or so and get more toned, etc in general. I'm super super super super lazy and really bad at these things. I KNOW this will take some serious self control and work on my end. In 2019, I'm going to try to be better about that. Here's some questions I have:
1) Where do I start? Like I get reading about it, but like do you just do one day and say thats the day I'm starting? How did everyone start?
2) Can I "ease" into this? Like can I go to say under 100g Carbs to start, then go from there?
3) HELP (this thread is a ton of help, trust me). I'm someone that needs his hand held on this crap. I hate diets and nutrition. Haha.

Thanks guys! Good info for sure here.
Hahaha! I understand. That was pretty much my situation as well, similar personality, but 5'6" and 185.

Seems like this way of eating is really suited to people that just aren't that serious about being nazi about it,but need some kinda help getting things in line.

Yep, I just decided one day, I'm starting NOW.

Yes, you can start lowering carbs to ease in. That's exactly what I did.

It's honestly easier than it sounds. All you have to do is cut out the carbs bread and sugar. All the other info is just for making it easier or dealing with issues and concerns.

What makes it really easy is that shortly after you start, you will be far less hungry. It almost makes it self regulating. So much easier not to overeat at meals, or when snacking.

The other guys can back me up on this.

But a lot of people find it does help to download my fitness pal to get a handle on what and how much you're eating to get a feel for it and keep yourself in line.

I did that for a week or so till I felt that I had the hang of it.

Lots of people get away with "lazy keto" like that for most or all of the process.
Others may have to get a little more serious and watch it a little closer if they stall for over 3 weeks.

Some light morning Excercise will help kick start the metabolism and help with the toning. Lifting and harder exercises don't move the scale in the right direction short term, but they help with the body, fat burning and metabolism long term.

It's not gonna take near as much self control as you think. It's much much easier than trying to do a low fat diet.

On the carbs, when you're looking at labels, you're only concerned with net carbs. You subtract fiber and fake sugar (sugar alcohols)

And just make sure you're getting plenty of salt, potassium and water. A bottle of lemon or lime water in the morning with a 1/4 teaspoon of pink salt did the trick for me and saved me any discomfort that first week.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
20190124_180503-1.jpg Killer salad. And was craving some cherry tomatos for some reason.
20190124_182033.jpg And the last of the bone broth stew. Damn that was good. One of the best soups I've made. (didn't eat all the beans that were in that serving)

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I will! I definitely appreciate the journal studies/scientific stuff too. One thing I worry about of course is the kinda "going against the grain" attitude of keto. Like the whole we're throwing away years of "accepted" advice because it was wrong. Which don't get me wrong I am not questioning, just makes me a bit nervous. Don't know if that makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Also is this keto? Hahaha

Haha, yep! Bourbon is fine!

The reality is that is that it is added calories, and too much alcohol stalls metabolism and slows weight loss. But it won't kick you out of ketosis.

I have a finger or 2 every other night or so. (y)

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I will! I definitely appreciate the journal studies/scientific stuff too. One thing I worry about of course is the kinda "going against the grain" attitude of keto. Like the whole we're throwing away years of "accepted" advice because it was wrong. Which don't get me wrong I am not questioning, just makes me a bit nervous. Don't know if that makes sense
True. It causes a LOT of pushback.

Backwards nutrition advice has been pounded into everyone for 50 years.

It's deeply ingrained now and really hard for people to accept something different.

It's just become "common knowledge".

The reality is that Cholesterol is important, fat is not bad, modern wheat causes a ton of health problems, especially in the large quantities we consume it in. Sugar (or carbs that turn straight to glucose) is responsible for most of the things that fat and salt are blamed for.

6 small meals a day is possibly the worst dietary advice imaginable. (it never gives your body a break from high insulin / high blood sugar)

And whole grains are simply not that important. They make a fine filler food, and provide energy, but they're unnecessary, and more often problematic, for a sedentary food abundant society.

The science is out there. And what's come out over the last 20 years is pretty overwhelming. But even most people in the medical field are completely unaware of it.

I can't remember which of the scientific articles, studies or papers I've linked, but I have a bunch saved and I'm often reading new ones. Let me know if there's something specific you want to see.

Most people will absolutely not be swayed though. They are just too attached to what theyve heard all their life. Despite how obviously it isn't working.

One guy who worked as a nurse had another nurse who was a horribly overweight vegetarian, who'd recently had a heart attack, tell him he was killing himself on keto.... o_O

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Thanks brother! Think I'm going to ease into it but will keep reading as well! I appreciate this! Excited to see if I can stick to it

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Good response from Ken to Jillian Michael's Garbage. Some great quotes in there.

And more to the point, more scientifically explanatory rebuttal by Dr. Berg. Good stuff.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I'm sort of a noob at this, 45 days in.

I just jumped right in. Under 30 grams for 3 days, and I've been 10 or less since. Jeremy is right about the decreased appetite / desire for carbs, etc. Though my craving for bourbon has increased.

The problem I see with "easing into it" with 100 grams a day is your body won't go into ketosis with that amount of intake, so you won't know those feelings (decreased appetite, etc).

I am going to go another 15 days, then come out for a couple weeks, and reassess how long before I can go back to 30-40 grams a day as an ongoing lifestyle.

Good luck with it @pbibby !

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Thanks sir!

Well I started with a Keto (I think) breakfast this morning. 3 eggs, and 1/4 cup cheese. So far 5g of carbs. Vs my normal breakfast of wheat toast with peanut butter.

I didn't prepare for this by going grocery shopping or anything for it yet (I have a wife and son that I'm sure won't be doing this with me, so that will be a bit of a challenge), so we'll see how today goes. I'll kinda be flying by the seat of my pants for the first few days, but I'm going to try to at least limit the carbs as much as I can.

I'm sort of a noob at this, 45 days in.

I just jumped right in. Under 30 grams for 3 days, and I've been 10 or less since. Jeremy is right about the decreased appetite / desire for carbs, etc. Though my craving for bourbon has increased.

The problem I see with "easing into it" with 100 grams a day is your body won't go into ketosis with that amount of intake, so you won't know those feelings (decreased appetite, etc).

I am going to go another 15 days, then come out for a couple weeks, and reassess how long before I can go back to 30-40 grams a day as an ongoing lifestyle.

Good luck with it @pbibby !

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Also, how do you convince people "quickly" about this diet. Like people who are already opposed (a good buddy of mine who is big into CrossFit and nutrition, etc, and helps me with this stuff a lot)? Like I'm telling him I'm considering this, it could be easier for me, we all know carbs are bad, etc. He's immediately like " Dude, do NOT do KEto, please just don't". Like how can you even approach that outside of just sending articles that you know they won't read? Haha.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
You should be well adapted at that point, so you'll most likely have the metabolic flexibility to go in and out of ketosis easily and without issues for quite some time. Unless you go for an extended period consistently out of it.

I suspect I'll have pretty well met my goals by sometime in April, so my plan is to try to hover between 30 and 100 grams of Carbs per day in a lazy semi keto way of eating.

Thanks sir!

Well I started with a Keto (I think) breakfast this morning. 3 eggs, and 1/4 cup cheese. So far 5g of carbs. Vs my normal breakfast of wheat toast with peanut butter.

I didn't prepare for this by going grocery shopping or anything for it yet (I have a wife and son that I'm sure won't be doing this with me, so that will be a bit of a challenge), so we'll see how today goes. I'll kinda be flying by the seat of my pants for the first few days, but I'm going to try to at least limit the carbs as much as I can.
Good start!

You'll find there's a lot of things the whole family will enjoy, so it shouldn't end up being too much trouble as far as having to eat different stuff. They'll just be eating a few extra things that you won't.
Find the 90 second keto bread recipe if you crave some bread. Was helpful the first few weeks for me.

And as Tom said, it's after a few days of under 20 - 30 Grams when you start getting the low hunger and other benefits.

But seriously, don't neglect the salt, potassium and water. Will Save you a lot of discomfort.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Also, how do you convince people "quickly" about this diet. Like people who are already opposed (a good buddy of mine who is big into CrossFit and nutrition, etc, and helps me with this stuff a lot)? Like I'm telling him I'm considering this, it could be easier for me, we all know carbs are bad, etc. He's immediately like " Dude, do NOT do KEto, please just don't". Like how can you even approach that outside of just sending articles that you know they won't read? Haha.
I don't think you can, IF they won't be open minded and look at some of the studies.

Cross fitters about high reps and explosive power. That is more easily accomplished on a glucose metabolism. (after fat adaption, one has metabolic flexibility and can have the best of both worlds) but Most of them could not imagine giving up that strength and explosiveness for 6 to 8 weeks to adapt.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I don't think you can, IF they won't be open minded and look at some of the studies.

Cross fitters about high reps and explosive power. That is more easily accomplished on a glucose metabolism. (after fat adaption, one has metabolic flexibility and can have the best of both worlds) but Most of them could not imagine giving up that strength and explosiveness for 6 to 8 weeks to adapt.
Appreciate it. I agree. I guess I've always been wired differently. I am so skeptical about everything (including about Keto) but when I am presented facts and counterarguments, then I can be convinced, etc. Pretty open minded I guess. So I don't always understand when people, when presented facts contrary to what they THINK, say, yeah no way I don't believe that. Okay. I'll try to just smile and nod.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Accidently posted before finishing.

But yeah, you just have to smile and pretend to agree.

If it's an issue, ask specifically why, then point them to the science.
Otherwise, you just can't get on the same page.

Thomas DeLauer covers everything really well scientifically, and it's obvious the dude knows what he's talking about.

https://m.youtube.com/user/TheTdelauer