What's new

Keto - Gettin Healthy on Steak and Bacon. Info, Tips, and Recipes

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Not that it's the "be all, end all" marker, but I have been testing in the high free ketones the last 24 hours, after a 21 hour fast starting yesterday. Bacon and eggs busted the fast, but I'm still in the "black".
Fasting is a guaranteed way to get into deep ketosis quickly for sure. And accelerate visceral adipose fat burn.

Fasted workouts pull all their energy from body fat once you're fat adapted.

And to me the autophagy and massive boost in HGH production is a crazy cool side effect.

I never could have imagined actually going through fasting before keto though. I couldn't go 2 hours without eating then... Never mind 20!

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
So if I am heading in for a workout after a 16-20 hour fast, should I take some MCT Oil before the workout, or does that defeat the purpose?
It will break the fast, and you might get more total benefit from doing a fasted workout, even if you have to drop the intensity a notch. Then keep the fast going for a couple hours after for the afterburn effect.

But whatever you feel like doing.

iam6884

Layne
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Just want to tip the cap to this thread. Today marks 14 days since starting Keto and this has been one of my motivators. I’m holding off on weighing myself until 30 days (for no real good reason) but regardless of weight loss, I’ve felt so much better in general. It’s only been two weeks but I already roll my eyes at people saying it’s not sustainable. I’ve been far from miserable.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Just want to tip the cap to this thread. Today marks 14 days since starting Keto and this has been one of my motivators. I’m holding off on weighing myself until 30 days (for no real good reason) but regardless of weight loss, I’ve felt so much better in general. It’s only been two weeks but I already roll my eyes at people saying it’s not sustainable. I’ve been far from miserable.
Nice!
No doubt!
It's a strange phenomenon, for sure.
I think a lot of it is misconceptions.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Welp. Got myself some alkaline testing strips and ketone testing strips. Tried them out after dinner tonight. Said trace amount of ketones and pH was about 6.75. Don't know a ton about it but would like to see a bit higher ketone reading but pH was good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Welp. Got myself some alkaline testing strips and ketone testing strips. Tried them out after dinner tonight. Said trace amount of ketones and pH was about 6.75. Don't know a ton about it but would like to see a bit higher ketone reading but pH was good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Test in the morning. It's measuring excess Ketones, so if you ate beforehand they are probably being used to metabolize things.

Also, their accuracy and consistency aren't reported to be excellent.

Regardless, if you're consuming very low carbs, you'll be in ketosis and burning fat.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Test in the morning. It's measuring excess Ketones, so if you ate beforehand they are probably being used to metabolize things.

Also, their accuracy and consistency aren't reported to be excellent.

Regardless, if you're consuming very low carbs, you'll be in ketosis and burning fat.
Good call. Was higher this morning (even after my quest bar) so probably was just due to the meal.

Thanks! Anyone else measure alkalinity(spelling?)?

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Good call. Was higher this morning (even after my quest bar) so probably was just due to the meal.

Thanks! Anyone else measure alkalinity(spelling?)?
I'm conflicted on some of the focus on ph. Total body ph really can't vary that much, it's a small range for us to stay functional and alive, and I think the body regulates and controls that pretty strongly. So I don't know how much it would vary in urine.
Now ph in the mouth can vary much more, and that is super important to dental health.
Ph in the stomach can vary to a different degree and can be very important to digestion and other things, so consuming vinegar, cruciferous vegetables can be really beneficial to ph and health in that area.
Haven't studied too much on gut ph, not sure where that falls, but learning a lot about the gut microbiome and health and it's affect on numerous areas of overall health, physical and mental.
Turns out it's another place where minimizing sugar is absolutely critical, and adding pre biotics from raw vegetables, oats and beans (in quantities that don't screw ketosis) is really important.
I'm interested to learn more on all of that.
Dr. Rhonda Patrick has a lot of good information on the subject of gut health, among other things.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
This is pretty interesting. You may get a lot from this based on what we were talking about yesterday @icehog3.
For one focus, my takeaway on the timing of eating post workout, is for muscle building eat correctly sooner after a workout, for fat burning, extend that window to 2 - 4 hours after the workout, before eating. (based on other things I've read and other videos from him)

Rating - 100%
52   0   0

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
This is pretty interesting. You may get a lot from this based on what we were talking about yesterday @icehog3.
For one focus, my takeaway on the timing of eating post workout, is for muscle building eat correctly sooner after a workout, for fat burning, extend that window to 2 - 4 hours after the workout, before eating. (based on other things I've read and other videos from him)
Thanks, I'm going to watch now.....teach this old dog a new trick please.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Thanks, I'm going to watch now.....teach this old dog a new trick please.
The biggest variance here is the shift in focus from fat loss to muscle gain. So that particular video doesn't cover the benefit of slightly extending the fast post workout. Though he has several others that do
I'm getting close to having visible abs now, so my focus is gradually shifting that direction.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
The biggest variance here is the shift in focus from fat loss to muscle gain. So that particular video doesn't cover the benefit of slightly extending the fast post workout. Though he has several others that do
I'm getting close to having visible abs now, so my focus is gradually shifting that direction.
So Jeremy, can you tell me the benefits of extending a fast 2-4 hours post workout, or advise one of this guy's videos that does? Thanks!

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Jeremy, been reading up on 16/8 fasting but cant find a link to that type of fasting and keto, you have a link or any thoughts on it? would be perfect for me im thinking, something i could do quite easily

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
So Jeremy, can you tell me the benefits of extending a fast 2-4 hours post workout, or advise one of this guy's videos that does? Thanks!
Can't remember which videos specifically, I've watched a ton of his. But the basic gist is that after working out in a fasted state, you get several hours of increased metabolism and fat burn following that if you don't interrupt it by eating and stopping it with an influx of insulin.
Anytime you eat insulin is spiked (somewhat less so for pure fat consumption, like cream) and body fat cannot be burned in the presence of insulin. When it is in the blood stream the body is in process and storage mode. Once it winds down, then the opposite hormone fills the system which causes the use and recycling of the body's resources.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Jeremy, been reading up on 16/8 fasting but cant find a link to that type of fasting and keto, you have a link or any thoughts on it? would be perfect for me im thinking, something i could do quite easily
You see more about it in the fasting focused venues, though a LOT of ketoers do it and DeLauer talks a lot about it in his videos.
My wife and I try to do 16/8 or 18/6 most days. It's really easy most of the time, even with having to prepare food for the kids. But a lot of the best benefits of fasting, hgh, autophagy, increased fat burn, lower blood sugar and lessened insulin resistance, and others, all really increase after 12 hours of not eating, so any periods longer than that are really helpful.
16/8 and 18/6 are super easy to achieve often, and still let you get your desired caloric intake in without having to cram food down.
It's really an ideal eating window.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Ok so my question is, do i still eat to my macro's during my 8 hrs of eating or am i supposed to cut that down?

On another subject, my wife (RN-MSN) is a keto sceptic, she came home a few days ago with a A1c home test, she is now having second thoughts as my reading was 6.5,(was 7.8 when i started) she said she will wait to pass judgement when i have my full blood tests in a few weeks time lol