What's new

Kitty Litter - Experience so far

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Is it necessary to replace if it changes colors?
KL as a rule doesn't change much but I have a few tupperadors where it has gotten a bit darker but I still use it with no issues at all. Here's the best part about KL...it's so cheap you can throw it out and put in new KL for pennies....if it makes you feel better to do that....by all means start over with fresh litter.
I had a Bringham Premium Dehumidification jar. It was a plastic container with beads. After a year or so it began to turn a bit brown. Any theories on this?

I chucked the beads and replaced them with kitty litter.

Bruce.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is it necessary to replace if it changes colors?
KL as a rule doesn't change much but I have a few tupperadors where it has gotten a bit darker but I still use it with no issues at all. Here's the best part about KL...it's so cheap you can throw it out and put in new KL for pennies....if it makes you feel better to do that....by all means start over with fresh litter.
I had a Bringham Premium Dehumidification jar. It was a plastic container with beads. After a year or so it began to turn a bit brown. Any theories on this?

I chucked the beads and replaced them with kitty litter.

Bruce.
I'm not a scientist so I have to use common sense when it comes to media and how it affects the cigar environment. I've used beads and almost always after a period of time ( usually a couple of years) they would turn slimy and then lose their coloring. I still use them in a couple of humidors and they still work fine...just don't like that they changed that much. KL in some of my other tupperadors have turned color as well...just a little darker but it still works. As long as they aren't giving off a peculiar scent I think you're good to go but when you're as anal as I am it tends to cause frustrations. As I said before the one thing about KL is that it's cheap...if you don't like the color you start over again.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is honestly the best write up/ discussion on the topic in the whole forum. I went from knowing nothing on the subject to becoming a believer. Have KL in my desktop humi now and once my wineador is seasoned properly I'll be damned if I use anything else, thanks guys again! Will update soon

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here's a question. Would you put the KL straight into an empty cigar box? I'm thinking it would possibly cause mold in the wood? I have a newly empty box I was contemplating putting KL in.

I'm currently using the lid from Chinese take out lol. Not too deep, but about the size of a cigar box.

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Here's a question. Would you put the KL straight into an empty cigar box? I'm thinking it would possibly cause mold in the wood? I have a newly empty box I was contemplating putting KL in.

I'm currently using the lid from Chinese take out lol. Not too deep, but about the size of a cigar box.
I do it and have no issues. I just make sure the water goes into the kitty litter and not the wood. I've also heard of a lot of people using cigar coffins

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Would you put the KL straight into an empty cigar box?
Not a problem at all...

Several people here use SC coffins to hold KL or beads...

I used to have several of them distributed around my cabinet.. but ended up installing an active system a while back and didnt need as much KL anymore.. so I pulled them.. but.. the coffin solution worked really well for me for the time I used it..

Rating - 100%
2   0   0

I do it and have no issues. I just make sure the water goes into the kitty litter and not the wood. I've also heard of a lot of people using cigar coffins
Thanks, I wasn't sure. I've yet to need to spray the KL, but expect I will with the upcoming winter.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I use a small piece of tupperware to hold mine.

Haven't had to add in forever :)
Wife got mad that I was stealing her Tupperware. So Chinese food meant good food & a new way to hold the KL. Multi-purpose! Haha

I bought a huge bag of KL, probably could have got the small bag.

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
I use a small piece of tupperware to hold mine.

Haven't had to add in forever :)
Wife got mad that I was stealing her Tupperware. So Chinese food meant good food & a new way to hold the KL. Multi-purpose! Haha

I bought a huge bag of KL, probably could have got the small bag.
I have leftover kl from a friend who had leftovers lol

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Use distilled water and you should be fine. I use media bags that have a draw string, no problems. Because KL almost completely remediates the risks in cigar storage, it makes accumulating cigars dangerously easy.

I've only rehydrated them once in two years, but it depends how often you open the storage container. After two years, replace with fresh KL.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I just re-added KL to my wineador after I was having issues with dust so I went back to Boveda's. Found some old plastic cups and cut them in half, added an index card to the open end to hold everything in, and the cups lay perfect in the back portion of the metal racks. Holding rock steady at 64 and I'm a happy camper again, no dust, no spillage, and happy cigars.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Puma sent me some KL thanks so much brother!

IMG_8053.jpg

Along with some Body guards in BOTL fashion and a nice note lol (KL would've just been fine bro!)

Oliva Serie O
UC
Four Kicks
and a Fallen Angel

Thanks load bro!