What's new

Kitty Litter - Experience so far

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said in another post today. KL works just, as good, as beads! I bet if I repackaged it and sold it under any other name the same argument would not be had. What's in a name and who cares that it's sold, as Kitty Litter? If it works it works, end of story LOL!

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
I think I'm actually going to supplement my beads with some litter, not necessarily in the same container but to give me a little more control/ recover quicker when opening up my bins

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Here's what happened to me recently and thought I'd post it as a "heads-up" with beads and KL.

I use KL in the coolidor and, as everyone says (and I've experienced) it locks in the humidity. If you're Rh is at the right level, this is great. But if you accidentally get the Rh a bit too high, like I recently did, it can be a PITA to get it corrected. As others have noted, you can pop it into the microwave for a bit or use a hair dryer to bring it down.

I decided that, since I had so much KL, just to toss the stuff that I had in there and start with a fresh container of KL. Since I knew my cigars were up around the 71% range for a while, I put the KL in without any spraying with DW just to see where it would settle.

Ended up settling to between 62% and 63% - PERFECT!

Still, just a note to be careful and cautious when spraying beads/KL with DW - it is frustrating and tedious to bring the Rh back down.

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
HF beads turn 'brownish' too. It's is due to the oils in the cigars being absorbed in the beads them selves. Also, if you have them in a bag and you handle them while you spray, they will pick up the oils in your hand as well.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Here's what happened to me recently and thought I'd post it as a "heads-up" with beads and KL.

I use KL in the coolidor and, as everyone says (and I've experienced) it locks in the humidity. If you're Rh is at the right level, this is great. But if you accidentally get the Rh a bit too high, like I recently did, it can be a PITA to get it corrected. As others have noted, you can pop it into the microwave for a bit or use a hair dryer to bring it down.

I decided that, since I had so much KL, just to toss the stuff that I had in there and start with a fresh container of KL. Since I knew my cigars were up around the 71% range for a while, I put the KL in without any spraying with DW just to see where it would settle.

Ended up settling to between 62% and 63% - PERFECT!

Still, just a note to be careful and cautious when spraying beads/KL with DW - it is frustrating and tedious to bring the Rh back down.
I have had this issue in the past as well and a simple way to bring down the RH is to just add a little extra KL.

No need to start from scratch. Just add a little bit each day until the RH gets to where you want it to be.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
I've "over-seasoned" while prepping boxes in a tupperdor, and successfully brought RH down by tossing dry cigar box lids in until they absorb the excess, then pulling them back out.
Any of the desiccants should work just as well. (ie KL that has been dried, etc.) May be better to supplement your rig with a dish of dry stuff to pull it down, like Rupe said, instead of microwaving/drying the actual media you're using. Less drastic of a change...

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Thanks Rupe and Cgraunke!

I had thought about just putting another container in there to absorb the excess Rh but, because of the shenanigans last month my coolidor is almost full and space is at a premium.

Otherwise, I would have done that. Next time I'll pay more attention to over-spraying a new/dry box so that there won't (hopefully) be a 'next time'

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I have heard too much about people saying prolonged time with KL has caused their smokes to lose flavor because of the absorbent properties of KL. They said they cannot be 100% sure but this year they will have one humi with HF beads and the other with KL try to put the same sticks in each and see.
This is a tough one. We all know that you can smoke the same stick from the same box on the same day and still get two different results...... Hopefully they split a whole box between two that would be a better but still not perfect test. And as someone else stated from what I found on the webz the two seem to be made up of almost the same exact material, silica.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So I have my new wineador running on kitty litter now for several weeks and it's been absolutely incredible! Mist my several coffins of KL once a week or less and I hold 65/65 no problem with the unit running full time. Drain hole plugged

Also have it running in my 70qt coolidor. If it ever starts to turn color or absorb smells I will just toss it and refill! Have like 11 pounds left in the bag :)

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You guys are putting one or two sprays of water on the KL? I'm trying to get my wineador set up and it's staying around 60-61. Should I just keep adding water? I've probably put 4-6 sprays on there..

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
You guys are putting one or two sprays of water on the KL? I'm trying to get my wineador set up and it's staying around 60-61. Should I just keep adding water? I've probably put 4-6 sprays on there..
Are your cigars in there yet? If the wineador is holding steady at 61-62%, then maybe move them in there and see if that brings it up. If not, slowly add another spray or two each 24-36 to see if it climbs up

EHV

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have heard too much about people saying prolonged time with KL has caused their smokes to lose flavor because of the absorbent properties of KL. They said they cannot be 100% sure but this year they will have one humi with HF beads and the other with KL try to put the same sticks in each and see.

This is a tough one. We all know that you can smoke the same stick from the same box on the same day and still get two different results...... Hopefully they split a whole box between two that would be a better but still not perfect test. And as someone else stated from what I found on the webz the two seem to be made up of almost the same exact material, silica.
My question to this theory, Boveda has absorbent properties as well, humidity wise I"m guessing, is the thought that the deodorizing characteristic of KL is the possible problem? I started using KL about 2 months ago and very happy since its so cheap. Its been effective, I'd hate to find it may be detrimental.
I kept adding a spray or two at a time and leave it sit for a few days. I had to add quite a bit more water to my KL once I got my shelves installed and wait for everything to stabilize.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Since I redid the KL in my coolidor last week, it's holding rock-steady at 62%. I was going to spray it again to bring it up to about 66% but realized that Summer is on its way here in Chicago and, in a couple of months, the humidity is going to be so damned high that I probably want to start off with a slightly drier cigar around 62%

Is that a reasonable thought?

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
If the cedar in whatever vessel you're using is properly seasoned, you likely shouldn't need to spray the KL at all when you first put it in. (I know I didn't...)
To those starting from scratch, make sure the RH in the container with the cedar and dishes of DW gets up a few points higher than where you want it to be in the end, then remove the water dishes and let the RH settle, THEN add your KL. The KL will likely absorb just a little moisture, then stabilize.
Remember, the KL is for maintaining RH, not for seasoning the cedar. (just like beads)

Last edited:

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm a believer in the litter thanks to Cigary and it's been working flawlessly for over a year now! I've even converted a few of my buddies as well. I've been holding between 65%- 67%RH in my 150qt cooler throughout the winter. I think the 67% came from me giving the litter one spritz too much last week thinking it was never gonna warm up around here ...we're anticipating 75 degrees this Saturday, go figure!
Thx for the good word brother. I wasn't a believer when I first was told about KL but when I tried it on the very first one...then the second and now I have 24 tupperadors every single one of them works very well and I'm sold. Will everybody share our belief and try it....no but that's ok as we're all individuals and some will never try it. The ones who do try it pretty much say the same thing you are saying....once you get over the initial thought of what KL is and how you are using it...you'll be fine.

So I have a good 8lb of 65% heartfelt beads, any reason I couldn't use the two together if I'm happy at 65%..... I think I need to make another tub for overflow from my birthday bombing, and perhaps let go of some things I have no intention of smoking that were picked up at the onset of my journey
This is what makes KL so great....you can use it with any other media and I have some humidors where I still had beads and wasn't just going to through it away...so I use it in some humidors and it gets along fine with KL.

Any thoughts guys/ aficionado's of the litter, I didn't really mean to mix them per say I just hate to toss the heartfelt as they have worked so well in the past, I'm going to actually take a day off work to redo my tubs/beads and itemize all my cigars and pipe baccy into smaller/shorter ones for easier access and better humidity control
KL works fine with other medias...you just have to allow for the fact that you'll have to check your RH a bit more until you get the desired RH percentage.

Update kitty litter about 2-3 months old and is changing colors.... I replaced it with fresh stuff. Anyone else?
Is it necessary to replace if it changes colors?
KL as a rule doesn't change much but I have a few tupperadors where it has gotten a bit darker but I still use it with no issues at all. Here's the best part about KL...it's so cheap you can throw it out and put in new KL for pennies....if it makes you feel better to do that....by all means start over with fresh litter.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Since I redid the KL in my coolidor last week, it's holding rock-steady at 62%. I was going to spray it again to bring it up to about 66% but realized that Summer is on its way here in Chicago and, in a couple of months, the humidity is going to be so damned high that I probably want to start off with a slightly drier cigar around 62%

Is that a reasonable thought?
Yes 62% will be 68% before you know it. I already moved my coolidor to the basement where its low 60's all summer. Going to move the dehumidifier into that same room if rh starts to climb.