What's new

Leaf Deals

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea. Very much a new roller. Have only made 3 blends so far. Only have like 10 left but I really like them. Rolling has gone well except can't find or don't pay for good wrapper leaf. Any recommendations on a good wrapper leaf?
I started out rolling bc I thought it would be cheaper, but the dedication of time definitely doesn't make it cheaper. Definitely a labor of love.
It's by far cheaper. You can roll for only a few bucks a stick, even if you spring for expensive ct shade wrapper. This assumes you buy cigars at least in the $4 on up range normally. Part of what I enjoy about it is the time you get to work with your cigars. I find rolling to be just as relaxing as consuming them. Seeing a really nice cigar you made yourself is a great feeling. You can make any shape or blend you want, within the limits of available leaf. The hardest part is waiting for them to mature.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Yea. Very much a new roller. Have only made 3 blends so far. Only have like 10 left but I really like them. Rolling has gone well except can't find or don't pay for good wrapper leaf. Any recommendations on a good wrapper leaf?
I started out rolling bc I thought it would be cheaper, but the dedication of time definitely doesn't make it cheaper. Definitely a labor of love.
Leafonly has excellent wrapper in quarter pound samples. Check out the Ecuador Habano ligero

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's the rule of thumb for waiting?
I've only been rolling for about 2 months now. I still have some sticks from my very first try. I test batches every now and again to see how they change with age. It's all about personal taste. I'm probably 50% of my own versus 50% commercial in my consumption, at this point.

I think some on here wait 6-9-12 months out.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What's the rule of thumb for waiting?
The rule of thumb, which is not the same as any given person's opinion, is 2 weeks "drybox" bare minimum, plus 2 months humi for a mild, possibly shade-oriented stick, or 6 months for a stronger, probably maduro-oriented stick. That's basic conditioning.

Aging is a whole nother level. We've found that 8-12 months, depending on blending, results in miraculous improvements. I don't know if anyone around here has tried his/her sticks at 2 years, but I've got a few in the box with 15 months on'em so far. Cuban experts pin the sweet spot at 4-8 years.

There are plenty guys on various rolling forums who will talk about their awesome sticks that they rolled twelve minutes ago, too. No doubt true, just like grape juice is good before it becomes fine wine.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
http://wholeleaftobacco.com/Ecuador-Maduro-Wrapper-ECMaduro.htm

Is this the Ecuador Habano Maduro? Also do they do samples?
I'm guessing but' "This Maduo is from Cuban-seed and grown in Ecuador. Maduro wrapper from this region is ideal for producing an oily rich, earthy and semi-sweet wrapper." sounds like a seed from a time before Habano 2000. which I believe can be referred to as cuban or habano seed. I have not asked about it or bought it yet.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If you're going to test out a blend. Tony, you won't want to wait months before sparking your test. So smoke it right off the table. Yes, you can smoke it right then & there, even if the wrapper is still damp. If you wait for several days, it may have gone rank, so you don't get a true gauge what it will turn out like, three days later. Your fresh roll ROTT will have some rough edges, but you can at least hazard a guess how it will taste, tho only time will tell you how well it will improve. The first sweet spot comes around six weeks down the road. The sweeter spot at six months. Longer than that I'm not the one to say.

Welcome to the rollers lounge, Tone, but someone here has to lay down the law, so it might as well be me:

WE LIKE PICS ... We want to see yours. Post up, dude.

Here, for instance, is a quickie I rolled this afternoon out of new filler I received today, as soon as I returned from the office, then toted directly to the smoking porch to test it out:

Three leaves of WLT's new Dominican seco, bound with WLT's Dominican binder, wrapped in FXSS CT shade. Wanted to rate that new seco, so wasn't about to age the stick. I gotta say this stuff the titz. Mild, smooth, the least white pepper, just enough bitter to act as hops, smells light and wholesome, altogether like that tobacco barn in August, as I said above... and with a nice burn even damp off the table. I think this would blend well with corojo ligero to taste core for cedar, spice, and strength, or with a criollo ligero core for richness. I'm gonna experiment with flavors on the outside, as well, using Mata wrapper for sweetness & Honduran habano for fruit & Nicaraguan for a dash of pepper. But I do love a mild & smooth gar, so I'll most likely come back to a creamy CT shade outer wrap. Nice clean finish this way. I was looking for my nubber when R2knee2 came to the door cause her bbq ribes were ready... otherwise, I woulda gone all the way with this one.

I think I made a mistake committing to my fifty quickies project, by the way, guys. Too easy to achieve. Look at this quickie example above. Hardly even trying at this point. It would require a whole lot more rolling the bunch on a hard surface to make the outer leaf lay down super smooth. A damper wrapper would make that CT cling tighter. But the essential goal of trying to make the sides parallel & even ... turned out too easy to do. Didn't take even twenty bunches to achieve that.

So I am re-evaluating the purpose of a mold. I'm thinking now that, once you have achieved the trick of making the sides parallel, which is so easy to learn, it literally takes only five or ten minutes in a mold to make the surface smooth; whereas you'll be rolling the stick back and forth back and forth on your board to bury the veins in that bunch so that the wrapper can lay tame. Therefore, number one mold purpose is making that smooth surface more quickly. Number two is rounding the head. Doesn't want to come out so neatly rounded without. Number three is making that stick firm. There seems to be a limit how dense you can get that gar without. That's okay. I don't need to make a lignum vitae nightstick. Specially this studgy damp air, where a looser stick burns better. Good strong ninder like the Dominican, you're good to go.

That's where I'm at now.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you're going to test out a blend. Tony, you won't want to wait months before sparking your test. So smoke it right off the table. Yes, you can smoke it right then & there, even if the wrapper is still damp. If you wait for several days, it may have gone rank, so you don't get a true gauge what it will turn out like, three days later. Your fresh roll ROTT will have some rough edges, but you can at least hazard a guess how it will taste, tho only time will tell you how well it will improve. The first sweet spot comes around six weeks down the road. The sweeter spot at six months. Longer than that I'm not the one to say.

Welcome to the rollers lounge, Tone, but someone here has to lay down the law, so it might as well be me:

Here, for instance, is a quickie I rolled this afternoon out of new filler I received today, as soon as I returned from the office, then toted directly to the smoking porch to test it out:

Three leaves of WLT's new Dominican seco, bound with WLT's Dominican binder, wrapped in FXSS CT shade. Wanted to rate that new seco, so wasn't about to age the stick. I gotta say this stuff the titz. Mild, smooth, the least white pepper, just enough bitter to act as hops, smells light and wholesome, altogether like that tobacco barn in August, as I said above... and with a nice burn even damp off the table. I think this would blend well with corojo ligero to taste core for cedar, spice, and strength, or with a criollo ligero core for richness. I'm gonna experiment with flavors on the outside, as well, using Mata wrapper for sweetness & Honduran habano for fruit & Nicaraguan for a dash of pepper. But I do love a mild & smooth gar, so I'll most likely come back to a creamy CT shade outer wrap. Nice clean finish this way. I was looking for my nubber when R2knee2 came to the door cause her bbq ribes were ready... otherwise, I woulda gone all the way with this one.

I think I made a mistake committing to my fifty quickies project, by the way, guys. Too easy to achieve. Look at this quickie example above. Hardly even trying at this point. It would require a whole lot more rolling the bunch on a hard surface to make the outer leaf lay down super smooth. A damper wrapper would make that CT cling tighter. But the essential goal of trying to make the sides parallel & even ... turned out too easy to do. Didn't take even twenty bunches to achieve that.

So I am re-evaluating the purpose of a mold. I'm thinking now that, once you have achieved the trick of making the sides parallel, which is so easy to learn, it literally takes only five or ten minutes in a mold to make the surface smooth; whereas you'll be rolling the stick back and forth back and forth on your board to bury the veins in that bunch so that the wrapper can lay tame. Therefore, number one mold purpose is making that smooth surface more quickly. Number two is rounding the head. Doesn't want to come out so neatly rounded without. Number three is making that stick firm. There seems to be a limit how dense you can get that gar without. That's okay. I don't need to make a lignum vitae nightstick. Specially this studgy damp air, where a looser stick burns better. Good strong ninder like the Dominican, you're good to go.

That's where I'm at now.
Actually the main purpose of a mold is creating an equalized amount of pressure through the stick, which perfects burning and feel. The smooth exterior business is a cosmetic bonus. I did not make this up. I read stuff.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm guessing but' "This Maduo is from Cuban-seed and grown in Ecuador. Maduro wrapper from this region is ideal for producing an oily rich, earthy and semi-sweet wrapper." sounds like a seed from a time before Habano 2000. which I believe can be referred to as cuban or habano seed. I have not asked about it or bought it yet.
Thank you sir

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The guys at Warped say 3 months for blend validation.

Crowned heads just flies down to the My Father factory... and who knows how long those blends have been sitting. i wish someone here knew Pepin

Good to know.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Here is my most recent. I haven't rolled since the winter so these have about 7 months on them. Got the leaf from leaf only. QB-52 Fronto Wrapper, Double Nicaraguan Binder, Filler; 50% Dominican Ligero Criollo 98, 20% Brazilian Habano Viso, 20% Dominican Seco Olor, 10% Dominican Volado Piloto Cubano. I really enjoy this blend. Very unique and tasty, unlike anything I can find at the BnM.
20170115_132245.jpg

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is my most recent. I haven't rolled since the winter so these have about 7 months on them. Got the leaf from leaf only. QB-52 Fronto Wrapper, Double Nicaraguan Binder, Filler; 50% Dominican Ligero Criollo 98, 20% Brazilian Habano Viso, 20% Dominican Seco Olor, 10% Dominican Volado Piloto Cubano. I really enjoy this blend. Very unique and tasty, unlike anything I can find at the BnM.
View attachment 97511
Good work. I just wrapped a stick with that Brazilian. The leaves are that good in my batch. However, it didn't taste well with nic seco and Corojo viso. Just a random blend I tried to see if the leaf could be used as a wrapper. It can. I hope it tastes better on a different blend. The stick had an old dusty taste to it, which I didn't like. Maybe no ligero, my first batch without, was the missing key.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Good work. I just wrapped a stick with that Brazilian. The leaves are that good in my batch. However, it didn't taste well with nic seco and Corojo viso. Just a random blend I tried to see if the leaf could be used as a wrapper. It can. I hope it tastes better on a different blend. The stick had an old dusty taste to it, which I didn't like. Maybe no ligero, my first batch without, was the missing key.

What does the b viso taste like on it's own?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I prefer the mata fina, for the creamier, sweeter qualities. Can't remember the flavor i got off that stuff

How is that one versus the other Brazilian wrapper? I can't remember how to spell it. Starts with an a.