What's new

Luckysaturn13 s Dog Rocket Reviews!

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Okay, got a chance to get into the box. Everything is intact, as I expected this early on. Bovedas seem fine, I think I have a few more I can add just for good measure, there are quite a few sticks in there.

First thing I found was this little treat bag from Eric @qpzmide.
20170224_125558.jpg
Super generous, thank you! The Monte and LaCareme will both be firsts for me, and all will be thoroughly enjoyed.

It was tough pick with so many to choose from, but here are my takes:20170224_125634.jpg

And my puts:
20170224_125650.jpg

As for my dog rocket, I chose the backwards "J"
If I'm lucky (or not), I'll burn it later today.

If there are no objections, I'll get everything repacked and fired downrange to Tuggy as soon as possible!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Actually home from work on time tonight, and need a little wind down time before I try to sleep, so this should be a perfect time to enjoy my "Backwards J"

Here is a picture for reference from a few days ago when I picked it out.

20170224_125445.jpg

So here we go. Oh, and by the way, this is my first review, and it's late, but I'll try my best.

I want to go into this expecting the best. I believe we let our expectations of a cigar influence our experience with it, at least to some degree. If I think this is going to be a good smoke, maybe it will!

The cigar feels pretty well rolled, good firmness, and very uniform throughout. No lumpy or soft spots. That's promising, right?

On the other hand, the cap looks to be pretty sloppily applied, and isn't really even attached all the way around, and the foot looks a bit beat up. Maybe it has just been bouncing around loose in someone's tupperdor for too long and is showing signs of wear.

Looking at the foot, I also notice that the filler looks to be all uniform in color and appearance. I'm not all that experienced or knowledgeable, but that makes me feel like I may not get much complexity. Hey, simple can be good, right?

It's dark out on my patio, and the pics with my cell phone flash aren't really turning out, so don't expect many pictures as I go along, but I did grab another from when I pulled this out of the bag. I noticed something I've personally not encountered on a cigar yet.....
20170224_125519.jpg
It's a little tough to see, but just below the cap is a small patch. Presumably, there must have been a hole or tear in the wrapper. I tell myself that must be evidence of the attention to detail that the roller had, in conducting a thorough inspection of the work they had done, they noticed this imperfection and gave it.....a band-aid.

Ugh, I'm afraid that I may not be doing the best job at convincing myself that I'm gonna enjoy this thing. Looking at it, if I had rolled it myself, I would be damn proud. If I picked it up, expecting a professionally rolled stick, I surely would have put it right back where I found it.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I cut it and took a few cold draws. I don't usually get a lot out of cold draws, bit I normally get a few subtle tastes. Nothing really on this one. The draw feels just right, not too loose, and not restricted, but almost no flavor. Just a little woody maybe. Plain though, kinda like suckling on a toothpick. There's almost no smell to it either. A light, generic tobacco scent is about all I get.

Still just seems pretty simple. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.

I lit it, and took a few draws. It starts out just the way it seemed that it would, rather plain. There's a light woody flavor, very much like I expected from the cold draws.

It doesn't produce a huge volume of smoke, but it's not terrible. The smoke feels a little dry, if that makes sense, kind of more like I remember from back when I smoked cigarettes.

Nothing special yet, but definitely doesn't seem like one of the nasties I've heard others get. I'll give it a little while and see what happens.

Last edited: