What's new

Monster Thoughts

themoneycollector

Ermagherd Sergarse
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Here's my take on this year's disaster.

Pete,
As several others have said, the system is fine. It needs a bit of tweaking on allocation. This project needs some guidelines from you to make sure the online fans are able to get some as well.

1). I would distribute all boxes to the unlucky 13 like the Franks. There's too many retailers, and giving each store a few boxes is going to encourage them to break them up and sell singles. I think the full allocation should go to the unlucky 13. That way they will have a larger allocation and won't feel pressured to keep the entire allocation to their loyals and instead keep some for them, and open the rest up for phone-in on a first-come, first-served basis.
2). I think the CRA, club, sign-up deals are just not right. You're adding an additional layer of work for yourself and possibly limiting so many shops or people in the process. Monster is Tatuaje's brainchild, not CRA's. You made the LE Black toro for CRA and that should be enought for them, for now. You don't want to make such a radical change from year-to-year. Just tweak the formula a bit. It worked out fantastic last year, there's no need to reinvent the wheel with solutions that could cause delays or problems.
3). I think the problems this year were from B&M's treating this as their own personal promo. Forcing customer to buy boxes so they could pre-order Dracs or bundling them up was just rediculous. I'm also against free for alls on opening day. In the end, you're just going to have a bunch of people leave empty-handed and it's the Tatuaje brand that suffers.
4). The spooky tickets was not the best idea. Again, it just encourages shops to break open the boxes to find the tickets for themselves and then either sell the opened boxes, or just break them up in singles. The cigars were going to sell themselves, I don't think having a 1 in 1300 chance to win a Ducati was going to make a difference for the true fans that wanted to buy a box.

I belive a simple thing you can do to avoid so many problems is you need to send a memo to all 100 shops before selection just to give them a criteria as to allocation and ground rules for selling them if they are selected. That way, the unlucky 13 that are picked will be better prepared and will follow your rules.

With this series, the B&M's are being rewarded by your project and being included. But if they in turn reject all of us online people and use it as a way to reward their loyals, then they just ignored a whole online community who are Tatuaje fans. I think you really need to ask yourself what you want for the Tatuaje brand. It's your brand and you have a lot invested to let the B&M's tarnish the reputation for the sake of them rewarding their loyals. I personally think the locals to the individual shops had just as much of a chance to buy as anyone online. The revenue from box sales and online exposure should be enough of a reward to B&M's. I bet if B&M's treated the online people better in this scenario, the people would turn to these same B&M's when they can repay the favor.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
With this series, the B&M's are being rewarded by your project and being included. But if they in turn reject all of us online people and use it as a way to reward their loyals, then they just ignored a whole online community who are Tatuaje fans. I think you really need to ask yourself what you want for the Tatuaje brand. It's your brand and you have a lot invested to let the B&M's tarnish the reputation for the sake of them rewarding their loyals. I personally think the locals to the individual shops had just as much of a chance to buy as anyone online. The revenue from box sales and online exposure should be enough of a reward to B&M's. I bet if B&M's treated the online people better in this scenario, the people would turn to these same B&M's when they can repay the favor.
Why is it wrong for a B&M to take care of the loyal customers that help to keep them in business? I just don't understand why you have such a problem with this. There are online vendors that are selling these, use one of those. If a B&M chooses to offer them only in their store and not ship them, that's their choice. Some of the people posting in these threads about Dracs think it's their god given right to obtain these cigars. It's not!!! You seem to think that some of these guys are unfairly taking advantage of the system. But I don't think they are at all. You know, one of the advantages going to your local store has over online services is the personal touch. You just don't get that with online vendors. Even when dealing with overseas vendors, I like to call and talk to the shop owners. This way of dealing with people has enabled me to get some good deals and get some rare smokes. Is that wrong? No, that's taking care of loyal customers. Too many people in today's world forget that the backbone of our country are small business owners, like these B&M owners and we should do more to help them keep in business.

themoneycollector

Ermagherd Sergarse
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I think a partial allocation to on-line versus in-stores would really have helped these go out all over the country better. 31 boxes is not a whole lot to go around even locally.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I think that part of the popularity of the cigars is that there is no way everyone can get a box. 31 boxes isn't a lot and that is what makes them so special. I am more dependant on online retailers for these thenmost others due to the fact that I am outside of the US. I had no idea on how to find them last year but have been very lucky to have been gifted some by very generous brothers. If I had not been able to find some online I would have again had to rely on brothers to get them. I was really lucky that I did manage to get a box. I was very pleased that it was from a B&M that I do support every time I travel. I order alot of cigars online but there is nothing better then finding a great B&M. It is so much more then buying on line will ever be.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Pete,

Just looked on your website and it said you have 313 B&M accounts ALL over the United States.

Make 1300 boxes
13 boxes go to your top 100 accounts (roughly 1/3 of your B&M accounts)
Post the top 100 list on Oct.13th of each year.
Boxes are to be sold Oct. 31

I do not have statistics, but I would imagine you make 90% of your income from that top 1/3 (or less). If my assumption is even close, \common sense would imply that your top consumers (cigar super freaks...like us) are familiar with at least one shop in the the list. If a person is not near a retailer on the list, adapt and overcome. Life is not perfect.

That is what I would do, but then again who am I... :scratchhe

Jason

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Why is it wrong for a B&M to take care of the loyal customers that help to keep them in business? I just don't understand why you have such a problem with this. There are online vendors that are selling these, use one of those. If a B&M chooses to offer them only in their store and not ship them, that's their choice. Some of the people posting in these threads about Dracs think it's their god given right to obtain these cigars. It's not!!! You seem to think that some of these guys are unfairly taking advantage of the system. But I don't think they are at all. You know, one of the advantages going to your local store has over online services is the personal touch. You just don't get that with online vendors. Even when dealing with overseas vendors, I like to call and talk to the shop owners. This way of dealing with people has enabled me to get some good deals and get some rare smokes. Is that wrong? No, that's taking care of loyal customers. Too many people in today's world forget that the backbone of our country are small business owners, like these B&M owners and we should do more to help them keep in business.
I agree with you that B&Ms should be able to allocate how they choose. That system is great and it would be a shame to lose it.

The only problem is that there are NOT online retailers selling these, nor are there people taking phone orders. NHC did have their contest, others took just a few phone orders (many of them didn't or won't honor those). So with almost all the boxes going to B&Ms who choose not to sell to the open public, that leaves nearly everyone unable to buy a box.

No one is saying Pete should try to please everyone ... it's not possible anyway. But it would be VERY EASY to please both the local retailers AND the loyal brand supporters (many of us here) next year simply by adding a large allocation to a single place that will take phone orders.

A very simple way to please the two huge groups that matter.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
went to my local...tower cigars in sacto, ca today.. one of the b&m's on the list. said all 10 boxes are reserved already and they won't be selling singles. big surprise. but it really hit me how hard its gonna be to get these.

im bummed. like you pete, halloween is my favorite holiday. i love vampires. i hope i can snag atleast one drac this year. i missed out on the frank.

this should be a cigar that many can enjoy. you're doin the right thing by realizing that man.

that alone makes tatuaje GREAT. not to bash AF... but can anyone imagine the fuentes getting on botl and asking us for input?? that would be the day.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what the best plan would be for the Monster Series. I have never had a Monster stick before and considering their scarceness, I probably never will. Pete could double this years Drac production and it still would not be enough. This whole thing sort of reminds me of the Beenie Baby craze a few years back. All those housewives jumping through every sort of hoop imaginable to get a little stuffed toy. The quest alone is half the fun, albeit somewhat frustrating.

PepinAddiction

Thought Criminal
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm kind of a bitter, old douche. So, I won't go on scavenger hunts or stalk people to try and get a cigar. Too many readily available Tats and others to smoke. With that said, I think the Monster series is a cool idea and obviously is a big hit.

I think you should leave it the way it is.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I've read a lot of the comments and used to think that the Monster Series were well..kind of a gimmick. Good cigars but gimmicky.

I've changed my mind about it and :think: I see the value behind them now. It's a good way to get us off our asses and back to the B&M's. I wish the they would be a in person release in general, no matter how many boxes were made or in any presentation.

Maybe thats why Pete's always out & about too...gets the lot of us out to the B&M spending and patronizing.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
100% agree with you Kev. If I owned a shop I'd let my guys with a membership have an opportunity to pre-order first, then my regular non-members. If there were any left than it's first come first serve for the walk ins. No phone or online orders. It's just good business, why piss off loyal customers to satisfy a bunch of faceless strangers that you'll most likely never see again.

I know it sounds shitty but let's say that Scott did this in my area, chances are that since I've only purchased from him twice in the last year I wouldn't be one of the lucky ones getting any. I'd be disappointed but I'd certainly understand.

As far as breaking up the boxes to sell singles and fivers, if I found a ticket in one I'd hand out a stub with each cigar from that box sold to the buyers and have a drawing for it. I think that would be a cool twist and a fair settlement.

Last edited:

Poriggity

CRA Ambassador #0042
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
As I sat here thinking about how I would change things up, and read along, I gotta say, I can't think of a better way to do this than below. Personally, I won't chase down limited release cigars too hard. If I can't find them, I can't find them, but if I do find them, its great. I also like the idea of going through CRA to get their membership numbers up, but also like the idea of a non-dress version of the cigar for the smokers. I don't collect cigars, I smoke them.
Scott

Pete,

Just looked on your website and it said you have 313 B&M accounts ALL over the United States.

Make 1300 boxes

I do not have statistics, but I would imagine you make 90% of your income from that top 1/3 (or less). If my assumption is even close, \common sense would imply that your top consumers (cigar super freaks...like us) are familiar with at least one shop in the the list. If a person is not near a retailer on the list, adapt and overcome. Life is not perfect.

Jason

n.olson

Veteran Eccentric
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Pete,

Make 1300 boxes

Jason
i can see from a purely financial standpoint that this sounds like a great idea. now let's see how many of the BOTL live in the major metropolitan areas.

Los Angeles San francisco, new York, Miami, Dallas, Chicago, Seattle etc...

seems like this would really screw just about 60 % of the nation.

if pete was just about the money and the volume, i think most of us wouldn't like him nearly as much as we do.

i don't see this as pete's way.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I am close to one of the secondary store and they found out because of all the phone calls that they got right after the list was published. They don't know how many cigars they are getting so they don't know what they are going to do yet. I think a little better communication with the vendors would help.

I think the unlucky 13 is still a good idea. Send 666 to them.

Pete - pick your favorite charity. Sell a chance to purchase a box for $2 each with a max of 5 chances per person with all monies collected going to that charity. The winners can either purchase through Gloster or like the CRA deal we could designate our local B&M to purchase then through.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
2). I think the CRA, club, sign-up deals are just not right. You're adding an additional layer of work for yourself and possibly limiting so many shops or people in the process. Monster is Tatuaje's brainchild, not CRA's. You made the LE Black toro for CRA and that should be enought for them, for now. You don't want to make such a radical change from year-to-year.
Why not reward the shops and people that show interest in defending the rights of smokers across the nation?

Releasing through the CRA will #1 raise money for the cause, #2 Raise awareness for the CRA, #3 get more shops to consider joining.

The CRA isn't ASKING him to release through them. They are just a worthy cause that already has the framework in place to take orders like this.

I'm sorry, but I can't really imagine a situation where a shop or a person would deserve to get this smoke if they weren't concerned about the state of things when it comes to anti-smoking legislation in this country.

Even if you are in a cigar friendly area (fewer and farther between nowadays) be a real BOTL and show concern for those of us fighting for our rights.

The CRA gets membership and awareness benefits, the local shops near the fans get the profit and anyone, anywhere can get access. I don't see any better way to do it.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I am close to one of the secondary store and they found out because of all the phone calls that they got right after the list was published. They don't know how many cigars they are getting so they don't know what they are going to do yet. I think a little better communication with the vendors would help.

I think the unlucky 13 is still a good idea. Send 666 to them.

Pete - pick your favorite charity. Sell a chance to purchase a box for $2 each with a max of 5 chances per person with all monies collected going to that charity. The winners can either purchase through Gloster or like the CRA deal we could designate our local B&M to purchase then through.
I have a secondary near me and after making 6 phones calls in a 2 hour period finally was told they would be getting ten (10) boxes of Drac's and 20 (20) boxes of the Boris. He still doesn't know what he's going to do or when he may receive them. I'm betting he will sell them as singles or 3 packs or 5 packs.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I started counting the total numbers of retailers who will receive monster cigars and I stopped just over 100...my earlier plan. The entire list has to have 150 +/- retailers. That is roughly 50% +/- of all of his B&M accounts (per his website). THAT IS COMPLETELY FAIR!!!! Pete went over the top trying get these cigars to more accounts.