What's new

Monster Thoughts

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Yes but like I said earlier, a good portion of those 897 boxes will be broken open to sell as singles. What a waste of the actual boxes for people that actually like collecting unique ones... they have no shot at buying a full box.

There are 20 secondary retailers and I've heard directly from a few of them they are expecting anywhere from 10-20 boxes which may or may not be accurate. So that means 200-400 boxes goes to them, 403 to the primary for a total of 603-803. That leaves 500-700 boxes left that will be broken up for singles. What retailer that is only getting 2-3 boxes will sell them intact? Only if they owe a big favor to a customer or will keep them for themselves.

To me personally... that's a big waste of the unique boxes.

With that said, I think it should be easy enough for customers to get 1 or 2 singles to try which is good.
that's a good point--maybe that's what Pete was originally saying in the first post. Give the nice coffins to the collectors, but have most of the sticks to the small "Additional Retailers" be simple boxes, since they will be focused more on the sticks anyway.

Basically, it would be great to find a way to make the retailers As well as the fanbase happy--I can't for the life of me understand why so many seem to think that's impossible. We're not talking about pleasing everyone--just two important groups.

All you have to change from this year's is to send an additional large amount (another 666, 1300?) to one of the 13. Then those of us who have no recourse but phone orders are set, and all the retailers are happy too.

Drac

www.smokesignals.biz
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you have to change from this year's is to send an additional large amount (another 666, 1300?) to one of the 13. Then those of us who have no recourse but phone orders are set, and all the retailers are happy too.

Maybe you got something here, Gloucester and Draper for sure should get top billing as they inspired something and maybe Stone is right, instead of either or, keeping the existing distribution idea and adding a larger allotment to one of those two shops to take care of the internet and phone searchers that are not local to a good shop.

jwyatt55

Not the mad fladder!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Maybe you got something here, Gloucester and Draper for sure should get top billing as they inspired something and maybe Stone is right, instead of either or, keeping the existing distribution idea and adding a larger allotment to one of those two shops to take care of the internet and phone searchers that are not local to a good shop.
In a perfect world everyone would get a butt load of boxes. Is the reason for X number of boxes based on the supply of the needed tobacco for the stick? I was guess that maybe this was all that Pete could make with the supply he had, but I could be way off base.

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Wow a lot of posts.

I agree that it is a limited release and you can not please everyone.
I would love to get a box of these. Not to sell but to smoke. I still have a couple Franks that I am saving. For what? Special occasion with my friends.
I was kinda upset after I could not 100% secure a box. I got busy at work for a few minutes and by the time I could call anyone it was too late.
I think that NHC is doing the best thing out there. Giving everyone a chance. Well unless you don't have internet. However I am giving a big props to them.
Me living in Utah I have a very hard chance of getting a stick. I know my local shop will not be getting any. Everyone you call on the list says they are gone or you have to get them in person.
I am hopeful to get a stick or two from some brothers on the board. Possible buy or trade.
I think maybe the way to make it so everyone gets a shot is either a lottery or an idea like NHC is doing. Just my 2 cents though.

Pete, Love the sticks, love the product and keep up the good work.

Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I guess I'll take a stab at this:

"Unlucky 13" - 100 boxes each (20% Local + 10% Bundles / 70% Phone/Internet - written agreement) In addition to the boxes provide 10 bundles (the 10% above) of 13 to sell as singles/samplers/package deals etc. That allows for the tickets to stay intact, the boxes distributed, and both sides to be appeased.

"Everyone Else" - 666 or 1300 boxes to be distributed to a longer list, i.e. like you did this year but smaller. Allow for the shops to get 5+ boxes so that they can let a box can go along with some singles on the shelf. That is 33.8K - give or take adding bundles if needed - you will be able to gauge if you need to go up or down by the release of the BLACKS/VEROCU being that they are around 40K next month.

"Undressed Series" - YOU PICK # of boxes again (20% / 10% / 70%)

Those boxes go to the "Unlucky 13" picked the year before in some capacity, but do not mention number, style of box, and or when until OCT 13th. While, they will be sad to not get the new monster, they cannot be sad with be selected again... after which, they go back into the pool for the drawing.

You gotta keep the 13 and the tradition man...you can't please everyone bud.

Keep doin' what you do!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes but like I said earlier, a good portion of those 897 boxes will be broken open to sell as singles. What a waste of the actual boxes for people that actually like collecting unique ones... they have no shot at buying a full box.

There are 20 secondary retailers and I've heard directly from a few of them they are expecting anywhere from 10-20 boxes which may or may not be accurate. So that means 200-400 boxes goes to them, 403 to the primary for a total of 603-803. That leaves 500-700 boxes left that will be broken up for singles. What retailer that is only getting 2-3 boxes will sell them intact? Only if they owe a big favor to a customer or will keep them for themselves.

To me personally... that's a big waste of the unique boxes.

With that said, I think it should be easy enough for customers to get 1 or 2 singles to try which is good.
Yes, a waste of the boxes, but many people are scared they wont be able to get their hands on singles even. I'll have to go 40 miles to get some or even further, but even then I likely will not be able to because of work x 2 and school commitments. A cigar in the evening after working two jobs and going to school is about the only down time I get.

Im hoping to stumble upon a box over the weekend at NHC.

While it is unfortunate I may not be able to get my hands on these in the first week, I am sure many BOTL here will be sharing the share. Hell id take a bundle of em, I dont care much about the box... just want to experience this exquisitly fine cigar.

Pete, stick with the 13, and 31 to the 13, with 1300 boxes. Love the theme.

An alternative way to distribute the number of boxes would to be base it off the year the movie was released.

Somehow though that works out this year.... Dracula with Bela Lugosi was released in 1931... 31 boxes per...

Next year the rumors are the werewolf.... so... the Wolf Man was released in 1941.... 41 boxes to 13 locations......

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
A good problem to have thats for sure. Maybe you release from the Tatuaje site, one box per physical address. It would keep your legions of fans happy, but maybe not the retailers...

smokingIsh

BoM July '09
Rating - 100%
171   0   0
Pete,

I don't have any problem with the way you do it now. There is no difference between cigars, cars, baseball cards or anything else that is limited edition. Unfortunately, some people will always buck the system and make money off anything.

Personally, I collect cigars so that I can smoke them, not make money off them. The memories created when smoking a great cigar is priceless to me. Well that and bomb people! That's right, I bombed a few people with Franks in their missiles. It's called sharing the share and that's what brothers do!

Bill,

I agree with you as always. I would like to see an alotment set aside for the trusted few, the ones that have spread the word of tatuaje amd not jumped on the bandwagon. That is just my 0.02. I consider you and a few others in the highest regards and I would not be a daily tatuaje smoker if it wasnt for your guidence. Either way, you got to pay to play as with anything in this world. Just want a fair shake. It disgusts me to think people are buying these to sell on ebay! I would rather ebay make the cigar loophole illegal if that is the case.

smokingIsh

BoM July '09
Rating - 100%
171   0   0
You are correct Strife alot of the guys chasing these or that called me for sure do not and will not regularly shop local in order to pay lower prices online or out of state due to lack of taxes. I think based on that noone should be surprised that shops are holding back and taking care of their loyal local customers. I know for fact a couple guys that are going to how on 11/01to buy a box never shop with me and live local, that burns my ass a little bit but anyway I am wandering from the topic.

I think this type release is good for B&M shops who in my opinion build brand loyalty a shit load better than a banner ad.
Drac,

I agree. I called you, even though I didnt identify myself. You were very upfront and honest with me and if I was local you would have gotten my business just for that very reason. As for the out of state though, some of us live in the sticks and the only way we can smoke good cigars is through phone and internet sales.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I agree with The Drac a lot....and I buy online all the time but I buy from my friends B&Ms more than I do anywhere else. I've made a considerable amount of purchases from THE Outlaw in KC and call them brothers...but they are not my local b&m.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
Pete,

I think alot of the anxiety comes from people being afraid they will never get a chance to try them and from all the new fans who missed out on the Frank, and in the case of next year the Frank and the Drac, etc. So, couple things, I'd keep the LE's the way it is, but possibly up the number of boxes and raise the price. I know the $13 cigar has a ring to it, but it's too cheap for the size, quality and collectability of what it has become. Keep it or throw some of the difference in price to a charity if you want, it's better than going to scalpers on Ebad. Then each year also offer a holliday sampler with a mix of all the previous years blends in a simpler box with simpler banding and a tad shorter vitola to keep the integrity of the LE. All your new fans get to try all the hyped cigars for years past and present. Raising prices on the LE will seperate the collectors from the smokers.

Other Idea I have is a box designed for shops to sell singles from. Wouldn't a single coffin of say 666 singles be a bad ass display!

Anyway, keep up the great work, and remember that if you don't have critics, your not accmoplishing anything!

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other Idea I have is a box designed for shops to sell singles from. Wouldn't a single coffin of say 666 singles be a bad ass display!
Yes it would. Maybe release 13 of these things (to the Unlucky 13) and distribute the boxes a little more evenly across your loyal retailers.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pete, keep the system in place that you have now. I agree with the others that said the only major flaws are that the retailers need guidelines next time. I also think you should pull the account for the store that is doing the, "You have to buy a box of regular Tats to get a box of Dracs" crap. Chances are if you are buying Dracs, you have bought plenty of other Tats.

Other than that, keep it the way it is. As frustrating as it is, I know I will get a box, it may just take a little bit of time is all.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think you should pull the account for the store that is doing the, "You have to buy a box of regular Tats to get a box of Dracs" crap. Chances are if you are buying Dracs, you have bought plenty of other Tats.
I agree with this 100%. That tactic would quickly drive me to a different retailer for ALL purchases. I know this isn't the way Pete does business. He shouldn't tolerate it from retailers that represent his product.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Pete, I think it's great that you participant on BOTL and look for feedback here. You make one hell of a stick my friend but for myself I'm done chasing my tail for your LE sticks. Will I continue to buy your sticks and smoke them HELL yes I will. Will I go out of my way to find your LE cigars NO I will not. Produce cigars for the masses Pete we will all be happier.

JH

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I agree it's awesome that Pete's active on here, its cool that you communicate directly with the consumer. I think the LE is a great idea. I know I don't have a prayer in getting one because I live in the sticks, and I'm cool with that. However I'm extatic for my brothers who get to enjoy them!!!

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Hey Pete,

Whatever you decide bro. I think everybody would agree you do everything you can to satisfy the masses.

CRA idea is a good one. Tatuaje Fan Club is a good one.

Going back to ECON 101: Demand too high, raise the price.

I keep going back to last year though. It really wasn't that tough to get a box if you were on the ball when they were released and now there are twice as many! I know the fan base is still growing but it shouldn't be this tough.

I like the idea to send 100 boxes to each of the 13 retailers and make them take a large percentage of phone orders without the obligation to buy other boxes. If each of the 13 had to sell 75 boxes over the phone I think it'd be much simpler. I know this would make some retailers unhappy because they won't get them, but make retailers participate in the lottery not the fans. The loyal cigar smokers is what drives the product, not the retailers IMO. You can always find more retailers (if they want to make money that is).

Lot of rambling, but my vote is to keep the higher production and run it like you did last year...

Thanks!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Pete, you've created a niche market for your cigars that has proven to be extremely profitable to you. I am very grateful that you are trying to please more people and get them your great cigars. Selling through CRA is a great idea.

Keep up the great work..

Christos