What's new

Newbie rolling

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8233.JPGIMG_8243.JPG

That's a really good point.

That's literally what I did with the first one here. It was still too fat and loose. So I took her apart and went for another roll. Then I trimmed her up a little to fit better. Looked like a totally different cigar.

A big thing I learned last night was that I was still more loose than the commercial stick I was squeezing with my left hand for comparison.

That's gonna be a big goal tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 100180View attachment 100181

That's literally what I did with the first one here. It was still too fat and loose. So I took her apart and went for another roll. Then I trimmed her up a little to fit better. Looked like a totally different cigar.

A big thing I learned last night was that I was still more loose than the commercial stick I was squeezing with my left hand for comparison.

So instead of accepting a bad roll you ended up with a completely different cigar that was acceptable. This will accelerate your learning curve in a big way. Good job!

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
View attachment 100180View attachment 100181

Thanks for posting your progress.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I love it man. Everyone here has been so cool.

That is true
These guys are so supportive and encouraging. It's refreshing, actually.

Encouraging comments and invaluable tips abound.

I can't express enough my appreciation for the videos and support given here

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thank you Marc!

It's fun now that I've learned a couple of things on how to do roll 'em up.
A few of the leaves I got for binder are pretty much rags. I'll use them for "stuffing" (filler) as I go forward.
I'm looking forward to wrapping those 5 sticks and rolling at least another 5 tonight. One thing that made it much easier for me, was to cut the leaves into manageable cigar length before rolling each one into a tube for a bunch.
I don't know how normal it is, but my scraps bag is getting kinda full.

A question about drying. How is initial drying of new cigars done before placing them into controlled humidity storage?

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'll use the PA Oscuro Wrapper that came with the kit before moving on to the other wrappers I have.
Supposedly the kitted blend is quite full body which lends me to believe the flavor of the more nuanced wrappers I have would be lost.
When I feel more comfortable with the entire process, I'll use the other leaves I have trying to duplicate a few different blends that the more experienced people in this forum have created.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Thank you Marc!

A few of the leaves I got for binder are pretty much rags. I'll use them for "stuffing" (filler) as I go forward.
I'm looking forward to wrapping those 5 sticks and rolling at least another 5 tonight. One thing that made it much easier for me, was to cut the leaves into manageable cigar length before rolling each one into a tube for a bunch.

A question about drying. How is initial drying of new cigars done before placing them into controlled humidity storage?
Dry box for 4-7 days
It sure is. I'm going to give capping a try this weekend.
I'm pretty sure Blake learned by wrapping the end of a dowel over and over again. It's all about that repetition!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8284.JPG

This one is feels tight and has a good draw. I think it's getting better.

Pretty wild how this whole adventure is going.

IMG_8288.JPG

I tried wrapping this one in some of that silver river. The end tore when I was trying to twist it. I might even just clip it and try watching another video and doing the flag and cap again for practice tomorrow when I try to wrap the other one.
It's not pretty but damn does she smell good.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you Marc!

I will keep the scraps separated. binder and wrapper makes good extra binding in the head. filler has two densities, for burn and draw. up in the neck is where the draw is set. some of it's not getting smoked so anything goes there. I hate to admit I kind of put the tuck cutter out of a lot of work by trimming it as I go. know those tips carry the punch of flavor. I like to set them back.
Right off the table they'll set in open air till there done. Some dried scrap contained with them wicks well. I do have a transitional coolerdor that is in the lo 60s rh. there is some rh maintenance / checking / rotating