What's new

Opinions wanted- Deer rifle

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I am looking at getting a new deer rifle. I don't hunt often and most punch holes in paper or ring the plate at the range. I appreciate accuracy with a gun, otherwise what's the fun? My old Sporter Springfield 1903-A1 30-06 does not provide the consistency I can have confidence in, so it's time for a change.

I went to a local gun store yesterday that focuses mostly on AR tactical type rifles, but I am more interested in a bolt action. What caught my eye was a Bergera rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor or a Tikka also 6.5. Where I hunt about the longest shot would be 200-250 yds. Thoughts and opinions welcomed. Is the 6.5 Creedmoor a good round for whitetail? Etc.

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I'd personally go with something widely available/standard, like 30.06 or 308.. I have a Ruger M77 mkii chambered in both 308, and 300 winmag, but a good 30.06 could easily fill the role of both. The biggest issue I've seen with creedmore is the price and availability. With a more common round, it's very easy to find a wide variety of hunting ammo, and milsurp ammo makes for a great, cheap, and readily available practice round.
As far as brands, I'm partial to Ruger. The older M77s are my favorite, but the new Hawkeye models are very nice, the Ruger American rifle is a fantastic "budget" rifle, that won't be garbage after a hundred rounds, like most sub $500 rifles (talking about you, Remington! Lol)
My next buy is actually going to be a Ruger American "ranch model" in 308..

I hunt, I'm a redneck, and I've done a lot of research on this topic.. hope this helps. As far as old stuff like creedmore, I find them to be more of a novelty. I'm sure a bus load of guys will disagree, but that's my opinion on it. I like the convenience, performance, price, and availability of 308, 30.06, and 300.. For deer, it would just depend on your range. (-500, -1000, +1000 yrds)

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Also, you might consider getting your Springfield checked out.. maybe a good detailing and barrel lapping could alleviate some of your issues.. I've lapped several old, inaccurate rifles, and has great results!

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Thanks for the input guys. Just what I was looking for. I ask at the store and they assured me 6.5 CR Ammo was widely available and they had 6 loads on the shelf and lots of it. Our local Academy has lots on hand also.

Like I said, I also enjoy going to the range. They have targets out to 600 yds and that is something I have never considered trying. But sounds like a fun thing to learn with a proper gun, scope and cartridge. But my main concern right now is accurate shot placement deer hunting. Plus thin out the coyote population.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Sounds like a great setup. Hard to beat an accurate 30-06. My old shoulders are recoil sensitive, so one of the things that appeal to me about the 6.5 CM is its light recoil.
The recoil isn't too bad IIRC. Plus, it comes as a set, no need to purchase the scope separately. I mean, unless you have to have the top of the line best scope on the market.

Sent from my cellular device via tap to talk

Prine

Nerf herder
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
6.5 is a great long range round, and is usually available, but the price of ammo is higher. My friend had a Ruger Precision in 6.5 creedmore and loves it, great accurate gun and round for the bench. The cost can be mitigated some by reloading but that's a whole other realm there. Personally I think 6.5 has a great place in the Tactical rifle for a tabletop long range gun with its long range and lower recoil.

For myself I decided on 308 (Savage 111 Hunter with the Nikon scope) because it is usually always available with multiple round options and is easily reloadable. I love my Savage rifle, the accutrigger is a wonderful

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I'd second the recommendations for Ruger and Savage. Both have nice, inexpensive, accurate bolt rifles, and for the money they're hard to beat. Recoil sensitive and 30-06 don't go well together IMHO. I'd look at 270 or the 6.5, or even something like a 6.5x55 (Swedish Mauser). And while I hear you about the preference for bolt guns (I'm sort of traditionalist myself), don't dismiss the AR platform unless you're sure. You can get 6.5s or 308s at decent prices lately, both great for hunting, and the adjustable stocks can really help with recoil, comfort, etc. Plus, the ARs are crazy fun for paper punching and plinking. Just my 2 cents.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
6.5's are very popular in the competitive and long range shooting world. Components and loaded ammo are readily available.

Seems availability/selection of ammo always comes up when someone asks about a rifle caliber. Doesn't anyone reload anymore? Whos actually ran out of ammo for one of their firearms at a critical moment? Heck, I haven't owned a SAMI chambered rifle (other than 22lr and 5.56) in well over 20 years and have never ran out of ammo... not even during the 8 year O-Bummer scare when everyone was hording components and ammo.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
6.5's are very popular in the competitive and long range shooting world. Components and loaded ammo are readily available.

Seems availability/selection of ammo always comes up when someone asks about a rifle caliber. Doesn't anyone reload anymore? Whos actually ran out of ammo for one of their firearms at a critical moment? Heck, I haven't owned a SAMI chambered rifle (other than 22lr and 5.56) in well over 20 years and have never ran out of ammo... not even during the 8 year O-Bummer scare when everyone was hording components and ammo.
LOL. I suppose if I'm ever in Nairobi on safari I won't want to take a 4.23x798 custom headspaced Norma-Lapua Atomic mag. But since I've never gone on safari, I'll probably be alright. Biggest concern I have w/ ammo is trying (and usually failing) to resist adding another caliber. And then the inevitable set of dies, plates, etc. Despite my best efforts, I've wound up with too many over the years.

On the other hand, I do understand the preference to stay with the popular calibers... it's nice to have a broad range of hunting/plinking/premium/etc ammo available at non-insane prices if you don't reload, or don't want to buy another set of dies.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
LOL. I suppose if I'm ever in Nairobi on safari I won't want to take a 4.23x798 custom headspaced Norma-Lapua Atomic mag. But since I've never gone on safari, I'll probably be alright. Biggest concern I have w/ ammo is trying (and usually failing) to resist adding another caliber. And then the inevitable set of dies, plates, etc. Despite my best efforts, I've wound up with too many over the years.

On the other hand, I do understand the preference to stay with the popular calibers... it's nice to have a broad range of hunting/plinking/premium/etc ammo available at non-insane prices if you don't reload, or don't want to buy another set of dies.
LOL, I'd be all for world wide readily available ammo on a safari too. A good friend of mine had his wildcat ammo confiscated by customs upon entering the country (because the head stamp didn't match the cartridge stamped on the rifle) and had to hunt with the PHs rifle his whole stay. That being said, the OP is hunting deer Stateside.

I trend to fail when it comes to not adding another caliber to the stable as well. Hazard of being a gunsmith I suppose.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
LOL, I'd be all for world wide readily available ammo on a safari too. A good friend of mine had his wildcat ammo confiscated by customs upon entering the country (because the head stamp didn't match the cartridge stamped on the rifle) and had to hunt with the PHs rifle his whole stay. That being said, the OP is hunting deer Stateside.

I trend to fail when it comes to not adding another caliber to the stable as well. Hazard of being a gunsmith I suppose.
Ouch. That would suck My hunting adventures tend to be more local. As a gunsmith you at least have a good excuse for having a lot of calibers. Me...I'm just finding new and innovative ways to over-complicate my life and my ammo storage box.

Back to the OP, the biggest problem I see for you is the many choices you have. So many good guns out there right now at almost any price-point. And from what I've seen lately, even the inexpensive ones tend to be very accurate out of the box. Picked up a Savage package rifle in .243 for my 12 yr old. It shoots right at moa, maybe a little better, with factory ammo. Haven't even bothered reloading for it (no dies... yet). If you have a range nearby that rents guns, maybe you can do a little test-driving before you purchase. Best of luck to you with whatever you get, I hope it brings you years of good service.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I tend to use 2 deer rifles. The first is a composite stock Remington 700 in .243 and the second is a Browning X-Bolt in .308. I usually carry the .243 if I'm hiking a ton as it weighs less, has a shorter barrel, and fits into my rifle holder on my hiking pack. The .243 and .308 cartridges are nearly identical with the difference being the neck diameter. I've killed a bunch of deer with the .243 however I feel more confident with the .308 due to the heavier bullet options (150+gr vs 55-100gr). You can also pretty much always find a box of .308 ammo, even when the shelves are sparse.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
LOL. I suppose if I'm ever in Nairobi on safari I won't want to take a 4.23x798 custom headspaced Norma-Lapua Atomic mag.
Hunting has been illegal in Kenya since 1977..

I'm pretty sure this will never be a concern for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
To the OP's question.. 6.5 creed certainly will do the trick on deer..

If you're looking at 250 yard shots tops, there are better options for most shooters IMO though..

Lots of things drive decisions on hunting rifles.. how recoil sensitive are you? What is the max range? What's the min range? How thick is the terrain? How large is the intended animal(s)? Thick or thin hide? More than one intended species to be hunted? If so what's the biggest? What's the smallest?

Lots of states have made .223 legal for deer..

Lots of guys like to hunt deer with big magnums...

Is either wrong? No..

Is either right? Depends...

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Hunting has been illegal in Kenya since 1975.

I'm pretty sure this will never be a concern for you

Heh, good to know. Tip of the hat to those who make the trip across the pond, but it won't be me. Safari always seemed interesting, but not interesting enough to make me want to go. Many yrs in the military have given me my fill of trips to far off exotic lands without good cause. If they ever ban Oktoberfest in Munich (definitely a good cause), it may impact future travel plans... Hunting in Africa not so much. Javelina in Az is hot and dusty enough to be a suitable substitute, even if peccary are somewhat less thrilling to stalk than buffalo.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
To the OP's question.. 6.5 creed certainly will do the trick on deer..

If you're looking at 250 yard shots tops, there are better options for most shooters IMO though..

Lots of things drive decisions on hunting rifles.. how recoil sensitive are you? What is the max range? What's the min range? How thick is the terrain? How large is the intended animal(s)? Thick or thin hide? More than one intended species to be hunted? If so what's the biggest? What's the smallest?

Lots of states have made .223 legal for deer..

Lots of guys like to hunt deer with big magnums...

Is either wrong? No..

Is either right? Depends...

Whitetail is the largest animal I hunt. Also coyotes and apparently hogs have moved into the area.
Where I hunt I tuck myself into a tree line overlooking a cleared field of harvested corn looking across to the deer coming out of a dense bedding area into the open field.

I will mostly use it for target shooting and learning to stretch out the distance appeals to me. Accuracy and budget is the most important to me.