What's new

Opinions wanted- Deer rifle

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
6.5 creed is inherently accurate. You won't have any problem there.

It's also outstanding medicine for deer, hogs, and yotes..

And if you're wanting something that you can stretch out 500+ meters on those sizes of animals one day.. the 6.5 creed is a good choice there..

Budget wise there are better options.. you'll find .308 .243 .30-06 and several other choices cheaper for standard factory loads..

But if you ever consider reloading, the creed is very affordable to roll your own for and very easy to load..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
17   0   0

It's also outstanding medicine for deer, hogs, and yotes..

And if you're wanting something that you can stretch out 500+ meters on those sizes of animals one day.. the 6.5 creed is a good choice there..

Budget wise there are better options.. you'll find .308 .242 .30-06 and several other choices cheaper for standard factory loads..

But if you ever consider reloading, the creed is very affordable to roll your own for and very easy to load..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't gotten in to reloading, but I have a friend that has really been bitten with the reloading bug and if I had the brass, powder, bullets and die, I bet he would teach me and I could see if I enjoy it enough to roll my own. I will talk to him about it the next time we get together for cigars. John just lives across the street.

Thanks for your input. Very helpful!

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Javelina in Az is hot and dusty enough to be a suitable substitute, even if peccary are somewhat less thrilling to stalk than buffalo.
I havent hunted stink pigs yet.. but am planning on trying to get in a javalina hunt sometime in the fall in South Texas if I can work it into the schedule... I think that would be a blast..

Just came back from South Africa last month.. the wife and I spent 10 days there chasing plains game.. its certainly not "free".. but if you do it right, you'd be surprised how affordable a safari can be.. we spent less per day while on Safari (all things factored in) that we did per day on our last disney vacation.. It doesnt have to be crazy, out of reach expensive like most people think. Its not something many people can do routinely.. but I think it could be done by the average middle class american once every few years (like a disney trip) if its something they are really interested in and are willing to save for..

Im planning on booking a cape buffalo hunt in January at the annual DSC show.. there will be hundreds of outfitters all located in one place and will be a good opportunity to check them all out, see who is offering what, etc..etc.. Will be booking for summer of 2019 (and spending the next 18 months in high anticipation after I give them a deposit check in January)..

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I havent hunted stink pigs yet.. but am planning on trying to get in a javalina hunt sometime in the fall in South Texas if I can work it into the schedule... I think that would be a blast..

Just came back from South Africa last month.. the wife and I spent 10 days there chasing plains game.. its certainly not "free".. but if you do it right, you'd be surprised how affordable a safari can be.. we spent less per day while on Safari (all things factored in) that we did per day on our last disney vacation.. It doesnt have to be crazy, out of reach expensive like most people think. Its not something many people can do routinely.. but I think it could be done by the average middle class american once every few years (like a disney trip) if its something they are really interested in and are willing to save for..

Im planning on booking a cape buffalo hunt in January at the annual DSC show.. there will be hundreds of outfitters all located in one place and will be a good opportunity to check them all out, see who is offering what, etc..etc.. Will be booking for summer of 2019 (and spending the next 18 months in high anticipation after I give them a deposit check in January)..
That sounds like a great time and experience. I would think Cape Buffalo would be about as an exciting and memorable hunt as a person could attempt.
I watched a show yesterday on TV and Razor Dobbs took a monster trophy Cape Buffalo with his Dan Wesson 10mm handgun. Seemed foolish to me, but he had perfect shot placement and the Buffalo only went about 50 yds before dropping.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
no way in hell I'm hunting "black death" with a 10mm...

Cape Buff have been known to absorb multiple rounds of large bore centerfire rifle rounds (.375 H&H and larger) even with a perfect heart and double lung hit on the first shot..

There was a guy in camp that took one the last night I was in South Africa.. he was hunting with a .375. He had 2 PH's with him that also had .375's. Between them they put 6 rounds into the Dagga Boy and had to chase him out of deep brush several times over the course of close to an hour after the first round was put on the animal before he gave up the ghost.

Way too much unnecessary risk trying to use a pistol caliber (any pistol caliber) handgun IMO.. thats a "for TV only" type thing to me..

I'll be taking my .375 H&H, stoked with 300gr Barnes TTX.. pushing that big round at about 2600 FPS.. and I am sure I will end up having to put at least a couple of rounds in him to take him down once I get a shot..

You figure a "hot" 10mm pushes a 230gr hard cast solid at about 1200FPS.. Im not even sure that will reach vitals on Cape Buff with a perfect shot.. it certainly wont give you holes on both sides..

Cool for others I guess... but not for me.. not today!

:D

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
no way in hell I'm hunting "black death" with a 10mm...

Cape Buff have been known to absorb multiple rounds of large bore centerfire rifle rounds (.375 H&H and larger) even with a perfect heart and double lung hit on the first shot..

There was a guy in camp that took one the last night I was in South Africa.. he was hunting with a .375. He had 2 PH's with him that also had .375's. Between them they put 6 rounds into the Dagga Boy and had to chase him out of deep brush several times over the course of close to an hour after the first round was put on the animal before he gave up the ghost.

Way too much unnecessary risk trying to use a pistol caliber (any pistol caliber) handgun IMO.. thats a "for TV only" type thing to me..

I'll be taking my .375 H&H, stoked with 300gr Barnes TTX.. pushing that big round at about 2600 FPS.. and I am sure I will end up having to put at least a couple of rounds in him to take him down once I get a shot..

You figure a "hot" 10mm pushes a 230gr hard cast solid at about 1200FPS.. Im not even sure that will reach vitals on Cape Buff with a perfect shot.. it certainly wont give you holes on both sides..

Cool for others I guess... but not for me.. not today!

:D
Lol, I agree 100%. Seemed like a death wish to me. Crazy stupid stuff. I was surprised he found a PH who would guide such a thing.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Congrats on the setup man! Good choices. Should be accurate and a lot of fun.
Good points.
I haven't gotten in to reloading, but I have a friend that has really been bitten with the reloading bug and if I had the brass, powder, bullets and die, I bet he would teach me and I could see if I enjoy it enough to roll my own. I will talk to him about it the next time we get together for cigars. John just lives across the street.

Thanks for your input. Very helpful!
It is a wonderful hobby, truly enjoyable and rewarding if it's your thing. Inherently dangerous, no room for shortcuts or distractions. Good to keep it simple. Never a money saver, unless you shoot a lot of oddball or expensive calibers. But just so worth it for the enjoyment and accomplishment. And the peace of mind of being able to produce your own supply.
Luckily a lot of the factory 6.5 ammo is really good stuff and not too expensive.
But reloading really is a joy if it's something that interests you.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
IMG_2052.JPG
Congrats on the setup man! Good choices. Should be accurate and a lot of fun.

Good points.

It is a wonderful hobby, truly enjoyable and rewarding if it's your thing. Inherently dangerous, no room for shortcuts or distractions. Good to keep it simple. Never a money saver, unless you shoot a lot of oddball or expensive calibers. But just so worth it for the enjoyment and accomplishment. And the peace of mind of being able to produce your own supply.
Luckily a lot of the factory 6.5 ammo is really good stuff and not too expensive.
But reloading really is a joy if it's something that interests you.
Thanks Glassman. At this stage of my life I don't plan on reloading due to availability of good factory loads at reasonably affordable prices, I don't shoot that often (5-8 times a year) plus I have never been a technically minded person and am inherently lazy.
If I enjoy the 6.5CM as much as I think I will, I can see myself upgrading the factory RA stock to a Magpul stock over the winter, like or similar to the pic above.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
View attachment 102377

Thanks Glassman. At this stage of my life I don't plan on reloading due to availability of good factory loads at reasonably affordable prices, I don't shoot that often (5-8 times a year) plus I have never been a technically minded person and am inherently lazy.
If I enjoy the 6.5CM as much as I think I will, I can see myself upgrading the factory RA stock to a Magpul stock over the winter, like or similar to the pic above.
Hahahaha, knowing one's self well is a sign of wisdom... The Hornady loads should run well through it. But there's other good options as well.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
The end of the factory box lists the Model # 16969 for my rifle. But the Ruger website lists no such number. Mine has a tan stock with a 22" barrel. Predator models have a green stock and the Ranch Model has a tan stock but only an 18" barrel. Googling I have found about
8 listings for 16969 but none in stock and listed as the Predator model and all Predators on Ruger website are model 6973. Very strange Ruger doesn't mention any 16969 model.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
The end of the factory box lists the Model # 16969 for my rifle. But the Ruger website lists no such number. Mine has a tan stock with a 22" barrel. Predator models have a green stock and the Ranch Model has a tan stock but only an 18" barrel. Googling I have found about
8 listings for 16969 but none in stock and listed as the Predator model and all Predators on Ruger website are model 6973. Very strange Ruger doesn't mention any 16969 model.
Slight differences. Probably not too strange. Could be a dealer specific model, or variations you'd only find in a distributor catalog or interface rather than their public site.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was advised by my brother to get a .270 for deer, as the trajectory is straighter than a 30-06 and the package is lighter and suited to purpose. Of course it slso limits you to deer, so not good for bigger game.

I bought a Tikka .270 as it was the right value for me and seemed to be well reviewd for accuracy. Then sunk my money into a high quality scope, scope cost nearly 2x the rifle.

Love the Tikka, no problems with deer or wild boar.

EDIT: looks like I'm way late to the party, maybe this will help someone else, lol (eyeroll)

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I was advised by my brother to get a .270 for deer, as the trajectory is straighter than a 30-06 and the package is lighter and suited to purpose. Of course it slso limits you to deer, so not good for bigger game.

I bought a Tikka .270 as it was the right value for me and seemed to be well reviewd for accuracy. Then sunk my money into a high quality scope, scope cost nearly 2x the rifle.

EDIT: looks like I'm way late to the party, maybe this will help someone else, lol (eyeroll)
I looked at the Tikka, Bergera and Ruger American when shopping. I would have also considered Savage, but the dealer didn't carry them. I have an Axis in .223 so am familiar with that line of Savage.
I really liked the Tikka and Bergera the best, but my budget said Ruger. And I don't know if it's true, but the sales guy said the Ruger is likely as accurate as the others and is 2.5 times cheaper. Dead deer is dead deer, plus the Ruger was noticeably lighter mostly due to the sucky flimsy plastic stock.
My oldest son (37) hunts deer with a 270 and all have flopped upon impact. He loves that caliber.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Congrats... Looks like you got a nice setup. I've talked to quite a few people who've gone the Ruger American route and none have been upset with their choice, especially considering the price. No personal experience with that scope, but I see it has a lot of good reviews. Let us know how it shoots after you get it all dialed-in.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I own several "nicer" rifles.. Winchester 70 customs, mausers, a webley and scott, etc..

What do I hunt with most often?

A Ruger American Compact in .308 with an inexpensive Vortex Crossfire II scope..

Its lightweight, rugged, reliable, and was dirt cheap to buy.. If I sit out in the rain all day, bump into a tree, etc.. it wont make me cry when I get a scratch on the stock or a nick in the finish..

and it is plenty accurate for hunting out to 250+ yards..

The only thing I have done with the rifle was ditch the factory stock and drop it into a www.boydsgunstocks.com laminate..

My wife has several "nicer" rifles as well.. a ruger FTW, a custom BRNO, etc..etc..

What does she hunt most often with?

A Ruger American Compact (she has one similar to mine, except she chose a different colored boyds stick for hers)..

Great little rifles for the price..

Rating - 100%
61   0   0

Don't under estimate the 270win. Plenty of suitable factory loads that retain more than adequate energy down range for bigger game, its been proven thousands of times. Don't let the cartridge take the blame for poor shot placement. I've had one shot kills on Elk and Caribou with my 270win out to 400yds. Just pick the right load for the animal and practice shot placement and your good to go.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
^^^ this ^^^

.270 has taken more bull elk in this country than you can shake a stick at.. Jack O'Conner, one of the greatest hunting legends in US history swore by it as a go-to cartridge for just about anything other the absolute biggest of North American game (brown bear, moose, etc..)..

.270 is routinely used in Africa for mid to larger sized plains game (gemsbok, hartebeest, wildebeest, etc).. all of which are significantly bigger than whitetail deer.. and all of which are notoriously tougher than most north american game.

It is an inherently accurate round, flat shooting, with low recoil compared to most other "deer" options.. which makes putting the pill in the right place a lot easier for many hunters than other, bigger caliber rifles..

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Slight differences. Probably not too strange. Could be a dealer specific model, or variations you'd only find in a distributor catalog or interface rather than their public site.
Called Ruger this morning and my rifle is a Distributor Exclusive. So what I have is a Ruger American Predator with a tan (Ranch model) stock instead of the regular green Predator stock. Mine has a 22" barrel instead of the more common 18".

mdwest, my son put a Boyd's laminated on his R A .270 and said it made it much more solid. I am deciding if I want a Magpul like I pictured in post #29 or go with a Boyd's. I like that the Magpul gets away from the 4 round rotary mag to a regular 10 round mag. I think the Magpul will be about $100 more once it's released later this year for this rifle. Decisions, decisions.