What's new

Opinions wanted- Deer rifle

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Depends on the intended purpose of the rifle I think...

For deer hunting I wouldnt want a mag extending below the bottom of the rifle, it could potentially interfere with using a rest, can get hung up on shit walking through the woods, climbing up a stand, etc.... and while I have had a couple of occasions in my life where 2 shots were needed to dispatch an animal.. I've never needed 10... The rotary mag is also super reliable (I was actually concerned about it at first.. I didnt like that it was polymer and that it used a rotary system)..

If I was going to mostly take it to the range and punch paper.. and occasionally take it hunting.. I could see where the 10 rounder would have some merit.. and could be fun to have though..

I am a big fan of boyds stocks.. they are heavy.. so I wouldnt want one on a "mountain" rifle or anything I knew I wanted to lug for long distances or for long periods of time.. but.. they are affordable, look nice, fit well, and are built like a tank.. you cant hurt one.. the extra weight helps to reduce felt recoil and makes range sessions easier on the shoulder as well...

If Im planning on humping a rifle over hill and dale for hours on end though.. I'll go with the lightest possible option..

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
First things first I recommend you go out and shoot and hunt with your gun the way it is to determine which mods would best improve it for you. Which ever stock you get make sure it is pillar bedded. That will give the action the most stable consistent platform for accuracy. Other than that you should be able to find a light weight stock that feels and fits just right. When I swapped stocks on my Rem 700 I opted for a detachable mag and the mag came specific to the stock. It was originally a top loader. I'm not sure if it's different on a factory mag fed gun. I agree with @mdwest that when hunting with a long mag it can get in the way. Here is the HS Precision sporter stock I chose, the only time I notice the mag is sometimes on sand bags but it's not a big deal.
20171002_133945.jpg 20171002_135458.jpg

Josh Smith

Opus junkie
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Called Ruger this morning and my rifle is a Distributor Exclusive. So what I have is a Ruger American Predator with a tan (Ranch model) stock instead of the regular green Predator stock. Mine has a 22" barrel instead of the more common 18".

mdwest, my son put a Boyd's laminated on his R A .270 and said it made it much more solid. I am deciding if I want a Magpul like I pictured in post #29 or go with a Boyd's. I like that the Magpul gets away from the 4 round rotary mag to a regular 10 round mag. I think the Magpul will be about $100 more once it's released later this year for this rifle. Decisions, decisions.
I haven't actually used that particular rifle. One heck of a decision at only one hundred more you might as well get what you truly want. I think my decision would come down to need and functionality. Looks like that's where you stuck. Do you need ten rounds to dispatch the game your shooting at? Let's face it I do have weapons that carry much more than ten but for a hunting rifle I know I've never taken 10 shots at the same beast.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I haven't actually used that particular rifle. One heck of a decision at only one hundred more you might as well get what you truly want. I think my decision would come down to need and functionality. Looks like that's where you stuck. Do you need ten rounds to dispatch the game your shooting at? Let's face it I do have weapons that carry much more than ten but for a hunting rifle I know I've never taken 10 shots at the same beast.
No, 1, maybe 2 shots is as good as I can do with a bolt gun, so 4 should be plenty for hunting. Deer and coyotes are all I hunt and don't do that often. I will likely do more target shooting than anything.
I have have floated the barrel, reduced the trigger from 4.5 to 3.5 and will shoot as is this hunting season, but I definately plan on getting a new stock over the winter. More than likely a Boyd's laminated for rigidity.

Josh Smith

Opus junkie
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No, 1, maybe 2 shots is as good as I can do with a bolt gun, so 4 should be plenty for hunting. Deer and coyotes are all I hunt and don't do that often. I will likely do more target shooting than anything.
I have have floated the barrel, reduced the trigger from 4.5 to 3.5 and will shoot as is this hunting season, but I definately plan on getting a new stock over the winter. More than likely a Boyd's laminated for rigidity.
Awesome brother sounds like a sweet setup. Hope you get the chance bag a nice one this season.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Ruger American in a Boyds laminate wont do you wrong at all...

Take the wife on a safari in africa.. she can chose any rifle she wants from the safe.. and what does she pick?

The ruger american with the boyds stock and an entry level vortex scope...

For her its just the most comfortable and easy shooting rifle she owns (although her FTW with Zeiss Conquest is quickly winning her heart and I suspect will replace the American as her "go-to" rifle pretty soon.. )

Before anyone gets bent out of shape.... YES.. people do eat zebra... and YES everything we hunted was eaten by us, others in camp, or was donated to a local village and a local school to be eaten..

Attachments

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Heard a guy say zebra was the best steak he'd ever eaten. But he was kinda odd, so..... I'd probably give it a shot...
Ruger American in a Boyds laminate wont do you wrong at all...

Take the wife on a safari in africa.. she can chose any rifle she wants from the safe.. and what does she pick?

The ruger american with the boyds stock and an entry level vortex scope...

For her its just the most comfortable and easy shooting rifle she owns (although her FTW with Zeiss Conquest is quickly winning her heart and I suspect will replace the American as her "go-to" rifle pretty soon.. )

Before anyone gets bent out of shape.... YES.. people do eat zebra... and YES everything we hunted was eaten by us, others in camp, or was donated to a local village and a local school to be eaten..

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Glad you found your rifle. The 6.5 is a awesome round. If you can find it local easily then great! It's not very popular around here. For my SPR I went with the 223 because ammo was easy to find. But I currently don't have a place to shoot past 100yds..... Lol

Good luck and don't be scared to try longer ranges. It's alot of fun! Try a 22lr at 100 to 150yds :)

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Glad you found your rifle. The 6.5 is a awesome round. If you can find it local easily then great! It's not very popular around here. For my SPR I went with the 223 because ammo was easy to find. But I currently don't have a place to shoot past 100yds..... Lol

Good luck and don't be scared to try longer ranges. It's alot of fun! Try a 22lr at 100 to 150yds :)
LOL, we plink out to 400 on steel with our 22s. So much Kentucky windage your aiming at a spot on the berm instead of the plate. Funny when everyone is calling a miss and then a couple seconds later you hear a faint "ping"

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
LOL, we plink out to 400 on steel with our 22s. So much Kentucky windage your aiming at a spot on the berm instead of the plate. Funny when everyone is calling a miss and then a couple seconds later you hear a faint "ping"
There is a local match that does out to 300 yds but I haven't had the chance to get to it. I love shooting shotgun shells at 100yds. There a 2 sec pause and then it goes flying. Just plain fun! :)

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I shoot a lot of 22 but nothing past 100 yds. I bet it would be fun. How much is the drop for a standard velocity 22 round at 300 yds?
For standard vel, Just for a frame of reference, with the very bottom of my scope sighted on a target at 250, I was hitting dirt approximately 50 yards shy of the target. It's significant.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
For standard vel, Just for a frame of reference, with the very bottom of my scope sighted on a target at 250, I was hitting dirt approximately 50 yards shy of the target. It's significant.
Yeah, I figured it would be a lot. Anyone tried it with the torqued up .22? I think there are some that are around 1500 fps. The drop would still be substantial I would guess.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Yeah, I figured it would be a lot. Anyone tried it with the torqued up .22? I think there are some that are around 1500 fps. The drop would still be substantial I would guess.
Velocitor is the only thing I use for that's still 22 rimfire. It's nearly the speed of the other super velocities, but with better accuracy than say stingers. It would be much better, but still bad. Depending how far, you'd need to find an aiming point well about the target. Which can be done if you have a good background.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Velocitor is the only thing I use for that's still 22 rimfire. It's nearly the speed of the other super velocities, but with better accuracy than say stingers. It would be much better, but still bad. Depending how far, you'd need to find an aiming point well about the target. Which can be done if you have a good background.
And that is going to be my problem. I don't know of any ranges that reach out that far with a suitable backstop. I do think I have some Velocitors in my stash, along with Stingers, Mini Mags, etc. but I mostly shoot at 50 yds from a bench. Old man shooting, but I will keep my eyes open for where I can stretch it out a bit.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
And that is going to be my problem. I don't know of any ranges that reach out that far with a suitable backstop. I do think I have some Velocitors in my stash, along with Stingers, Mini Mags, etc. but I mostly shoot at 50 yds from a bench. Old man shooting, but I will keep my eyes open for where I can stretch it out a bit.
May just have t use something flatter then