What's new

Opinions wanted- Deer rifle

Beardfellows

J.D.-Chief Executive Beardfellow
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I'm waaaaay late to the party, but why not just go full cowboy and go with with a .45-70?

I've got one, and I love it (Marlin 1895 GBL).

Granted, I've never shot anything besides mountains, an F-150 (it was already dead tho) and a river with it, but I like the fact that whether a deer or a triceratops charges out of the bush I'm probably covered.

"The .45-70 Govt. Because big holes leak faster." -Science

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
6.5 Creedmoor is a great round for deer(or elk) and the max ranges your looking at shooting are well with in its limits.
This would be my suggestion as well. .260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor, or 6.5x47 Lapua if you like spending money on ammo lol
All three will be great, flat flying rounds, and provided the rifle isnt crap, they'll typically be more accurate than the shooter.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I know I'm waaaaay late to the party, but why not just go full cowboy and go with with a .45-70?

Granted, I've never shot anything besides mountains, an F-150 (it was already dead tho) and a river with it, but I like the fact that whether a deer or a triceratops charges out of the bush I'm probably covered.

Ive taken both deer and hogs with a .45-70.. its an excellent <150 yard option.. whatever you hit is DRT... and it actually does a lot less meat damage than most smaller/faster calibers..

the big, slow bullets punch a nice half inch hole from one side to the other, without the same tissue damage that you see from common "deer" calibers like .308, 7mm mag, .270, etc.. that hit at higher velocities..

300gr projectiles start dropping like a rock after 100 yards though.. if you think you might need to take a shot at any distance beyond that routinely, for me personally there are better options..

Fozgate

Maker of Sharp Things #MCGA
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I would strongly recommend a Tikka CTR in 6.5 creedmoor with 24" barrel. I picked one up for precision long range shooting and it is an absolute tack driver. Amazing value to function ratio, far superior than what Remington is producing these days. The bolt and action is teflon coated so it's an extremely smooth action, and the trigger is one of the best triggers on the market. You can adjust it from 2-4lbs.

The following site is great to deal with, and they offer great pricing as well. https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/ss-24842

Here's mine setup for PRS.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Thoughts and opinions welcomed.
You want thoughts AND opinions?? Well, I know nothing about guns but here are some thoughts and opinions:

• When someone's dog barks at me, I think it's funny to say, "I don't speak dog," and then when they leave the room, speak dog fluently.
  • I think coffee is to Mondays what Sam was to Frodo.
  • Being a parent feels like being dropped into a corn maze at night. It's confusing and terrifying all at the same time.
  • The better a friend is at carving a pumpkin, the more you should keep an eye on them.
  • I'm white but not watch NASCAR from my couch drinking a natty light white.
  • Watching NFL after college football feels like Gandalf returning as a guitarist from Poison.
  • The only thing better than going to bed is going back to bed.
  • The earlier today me who thought 4 cups of coffee was a good idea is right now me's sworn enemy.
  • If you don't need 13 napkins when eating pizza then you're doing it wrong.
  • If you want to see me at one of my happiest moments just slide a plate of chicken fingers in front of me.
  • I'm simultaneously impressed and distrustful of people who love to eat leftovers.
  • When I'm tempted to be critical of a pro athlete I remind myself I'm eating chips and sitting on a couch.
  • Social media is the best/worst thing that's ever happened to pyramid schemes/friendships.
  • Judging by how long it just took me to decide on a candy bar I'd be the first one out of the Hunger Games.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
IMG_2080.JPG
I would strongly recommend a Tikka CTR in 6.5 creedmoor with 24" barrel. I picked one up for precision long range shooting and it is an absolute tack driver. Amazing value to function ratio, far superior than what Remington is producing these days. The bolt and action is teflon coated so it's an extremely smooth action, and the trigger is one of the best triggers on the market. You can adjust it from 2-4lbs.

The following site is great to deal with, and they offer great pricing as well. https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/ss-24842

Here's mine setup for PRS.

I think that is the Tikka I looked at and while I would love to have it, it was more money than I wanted to spend. They also had a Bergera that was less money than the Tikka that I really liked as well. The pic at the top of this post is the Bergera.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
You want thoughts AND opinions?? Well, I know nothing about guns but here are some thoughts and opinions:

• When someone's dog barks at me, I think it's funny to say, "I don't speak dog," and then when they leave the room, speak dog fluently.
  • Being a parent feels like being dropped into a corn maze at night. It's confusing and terrifying all at the same time.
  • The better a friend is at carving a pumpkin, the more you should keep an eye on them.
  • Watching NFL after college football feels like Gandalf returning as a guitarist from Poison.
  • The earlier today me who thought 4 cups of coffee was a good idea is right now me's sworn enemy.
  • If you want to see me at one of my happiest moments just slide a plate of chicken fingers in front of me.
  • I'm simultaneously impressed and distrustful of people who love to eat leftovers.
  • When I'm tempted to be critical of a pro athlete I remind myself I'm eating chips and sitting on a couch.
  • Social media is the best/worst thing that's ever happened to pyramid schemes/friendships.
  • Judging by how long it just took me to decide on a candy bar I'd be the first one out of the Hunger Games.
Bwahahahahaha, uh oh.. Looks like B is bored again... Careful what you ask for Old smokey! Now Let's see, how did we deal with it the last time he got bored.. :sneaky:
But while the inspiration is hot you may as go ahead and write your great coffee table book Ala Jack Handy, @bwhite220 :ROFLMAO:

Rating - 100%
17   0   0

What a thoughtful and opinionated post Brandon. LMAO

Rating - 100%
19   0   0

1895 GBL. Underwood ammo.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I am coming to this thread late. It is all about shot placement. No the Arrow, shot placement is the key to kill. Indian, not the Arrow.

I like hunting old school, with a Flintlock, one have one Shot. Placement is the key to a clean kill.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I agree with that to a certain extent...

but man is imperfect.. and nature will throw you a curve ball every chance she gets..

a .243 through the heart and lungs will kill every time..

but what happens when that gnat lands on the end of your nose just as you squeeze the trigger and you end up sending the bullet 8" rear and end up putting the hole in the animal mid body (guts) rather than through the heart?

or when youre taking a "long" shot and misread the distance and end up hitting 4" low and just barely clip a single lung?..

a little more "pow" gives a little more leeway for mistakes.. bigger holes = faster and greater blood loss and easier to track animals that dont drop where they stand..

No one should take shots they arent 100% certain of.. but.. doo doo does occur occasionally whether anyone likes it or not.. and bigger typically makes for a better insurance policy when that happens..

There is of course a balancing act that needs to be considered.. shooting a 95lb southeastern whitetail doe with a .375 almost certainly will leave you with a lot of destroyed meat.. as will taking a hog at 50 yards with a 7mm mag... too much speed and too much bullet can be a bad thing..

but.. that said, a perfectly placed shot with a .22lr will kill a deer if you shoot at a reasonably close range.. no problem at all... but... I wouldnt want to be the guy taking that shot (unless I was starving, and it was my only option)..