What's new

Opinions wanted- Deer rifle

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
All you deer hunters click this link and cast a vote for MELANIE PETERSON (personal friend of mine and the wife) please.

http://www.extremehuntress.com/main/2017-voting/

This was a contest my wife was involved in earlier this year but had to leave for personal reasons.

There's just a few more days of voting left. I'd really like to support Melanie as best as we can.

When you cast a vote you will be sent an email asking you to confirm your vote. Please do that by clicking the link they will send you in the email. I have voted in the semi-finals and in the finals. No spam has been generated, etc.. The confirmation is just to make sure youre a real person and not a bot..

Thanks!

/endthreadhi-jack

:)

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
All you deer hunters click this link and cast a vote for MELANIE PETERSON (personal friend of mine and the wife) please.

http://www.extremehuntress.com/main/2017-voting/

This was a contest my wife was involved in earlier this year but had to leave for personal reasons.

There's just a few more days of voting left. I'd really like to support Melanie as best as we can.

When you cast a vote you will be sent an email asking you to confirm your vote. Please do that by clicking the link they will send you in the email. I have voted in the semi-finals and in the finals. No spam has been generated, etc.. The confirmation is just to make sure youre a real person and not a bot..

Thanks!

/endthreadhi-jack

:)
Done.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Didn't read every post so this may have been mentioned but keep in mind that ammo cost and availability change dramatically year to year. Doesn't take much to go from surplus to unicorn.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Didn't read every post so this may have been mentioned but keep in mind that ammo cost and availability change dramatically year to year. Doesn't take much to go from surplus to unicorn.
yup...

my 7mm WSM is proof of that.. ballistically almost identical to 7mm Rem Mag.. but ammo is 2 - 2 1/2 times the cost.. and good luck finding any other than at a place like Cabelas or online.. and when you do find it, you are very limited on choices/options...

thankfully I reload though.. so its something of a non issue for me.. I've got a hundred or so pieces of brass on hand.. each one good for 4-5 reloads easily.. and all of the other components are pretty much industry standard (same mag large rifle primers that are used for 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, etc..etc.. same 7mm projectiles commonly used in 7mm Rem Mag, 7x57, etc.. same powders commonly used for 308/30-06/7mm Rem Mag/etc.. etc..).. 500 total rounds of 7mm WSM will MORE than get me through the rest of my life (I shoot maybe a box through it a year on the range.. and MIGHT shoot it once or twice at game.. so Im looking at a 23-25 year supply on hand.. and I seriously doubt I will be shooting the 7mm WSM into my 70's... by reloading I am able to build better rounds than I can buy from the common manufacturers (Federal, Winchester, Remington, etc).. more accurate, better terminal performance, etc.. and I can do it at half the price of a box of 7mm Rem Mag (1/4 the price of a factory loaded box of 7mm WSM)...

Same thing with my 416 Taylor that I am currently building.. IF you can find ammo for it, youre looking at well north of $100 a box and your options are very limited..

But I have 50 pieces of brand new norma brass on hand.. and all of the other components are "common" (same 416 projectile used in 416 Rem Mag, 416 Rigby, 416 Ruger, etc... same powders used.. same primers.. ).. and at best Ill shoot 30-50 rounds in a year prior to going on a dangerous game hunt (which might happen 2 more times in the rest of my life) and then just a couple of rounds on the hunt itself.. so.. I am way more than covered..

Same thing for my 375 H&H Mag.. 100 pieces of brass.. everything else pretty easy to get hands on and commonly available.. and can load my own, better cartridges for less than 1/2 the cost of factory loads (closer to about 1/3 in the case of the 375 H&H...)...

If you want to get into calibers you cant easily buy at wal-mart.. I strongly recommend you consider reloading..

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
yup...

my 7mm WSM is proof of that.. ballistically almost identical to 7mm Rem Mag.. but ammo is 2 - 2 1/2 times the cost.. and good luck finding any other than at a place like Cabelas or online.. and when you do find it, you are very limited on choices/options...

thankfully I reload though.. so its something of a non issue for me.. I've got a hundred or so pieces of brass on hand.. each one good for 4-5 reloads easily.. and all of the other components are pretty much industry standard (same mag large rifle primers that are used for 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, etc..etc.. same 7mm projectiles commonly used in 7mm Rem Mag, 7x57, etc.. same powders commonly used for 308/30-06/7mm Rem Mag/etc.. etc..).. 500 total rounds of 7mm WSM will MORE than get me through the rest of my life (I shoot maybe a box through it a year on the range.. and MIGHT shoot it once or twice at game.. so Im looking at a 23-25 year supply on hand.. and I seriously doubt I will be shooting the 7mm WSM into my 70's... by reloading I am able to build better rounds than I can buy from the common manufacturers (Federal, Winchester, Remington, etc).. more accurate, better terminal performance, etc.. and I can do it at half the price of a box of 7mm Rem Mag (1/4 the price of a factory loaded box of 7mm WSM)...

Same thing with my 416 Taylor that I am currently building.. IF you can find ammo for it, youre looking at well north of $100 a box and your options are very limited..

But I have 50 pieces of brand new norma brass on hand.. and all of the other components are "common" (same 416 projectile used in 416 Rem Mag, 416 Rigby, 416 Ruger, etc... same powders used.. same primers.. ).. and at best Ill shoot 30-50 rounds in a year prior to going on a dangerous game hunt (which might happen 2 more times in the rest of my life) and then just a couple of rounds on the hunt itself.. so.. I am way more than covered..

Same thing for my 375 H&H Mag.. 100 pieces of brass.. everything else pretty easy to get hands on and commonly available.. and can load my own, better cartridges for less than 1/2 the cost of factory loads (closer to about 1/3 in the case of the 375 H&H...)...

If you want to get into calibers you cant easily buy at wal-mart.. I strongly recommend you consider reloading..
Yes I have Win .270WSM. Kinda the same deal but luckily my dad reloads. Can’t even use it other than target shooting but haven’t even done that in a couple years since having kids. Put 2 boxes through her when I first got it cuz I couldn’t get zeroed. Turns out the scope base was loose. Put a hittin on my shoulder. Thing will drive tacks with the right load. Would love to stretch her out some day. Have only shot a few deer with it but all bang flops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
A little update.

Took my 2nd buck Saturday morning with my RA 6.5 CM. Taken while trotting at 250 yds across a cut field about 15’ before disappearing into the woods. He was dead 30’ into the woods. I normally wouldn’t have shot at a moving deer, but I had the crosshairs on him and squeezed. Not a monster, but he put a smile on my face. 8 point.

73F580A0-222D-4741-AE2E-BC9280ABCFA8.jpeg

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
A little update.

Took my 2nd buck Saturday morning with my RA 6.5 CM. Taken while trotting at 250 yds across a cut field about 15’ before disappearing into the woods. He was dead 30’ into the woods. I normally wouldn’t have shot at a moving deer, but I had the crosshairs on him and squeezed. Not a monster, but he put a smile on my face. 8 point.

View attachment 155874
Nice shot at 250 while moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thebutcher

testing testing.....is this thing on?
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice shot!! he would have put a smile on my face to,good shot placement also looks like you got the vitals and saved the meat in both shoulders.
last year some guy brought in a little white tail (it hung at about #70) he shot it three times with a 450 bushmaster he got about #20 of meat he said he was going to get a smaller caliber next year :LOL:

We were so busy with domestic animals this year I only processed one little moose and a deer for a friend.its too bad I like dealing with hunters its fun to take there game in there excited about there kill and there just fun to talk to
beef and pig customers can be cranky! :arghh:

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Marlin or Henry levergun in .35 Remington.
i have always been attracted to lever guns, but have never owned one. What is the effective range with 35 Rem? Where I hunt to be successful I need to be able to reach out a ways over a cut crop field. Say 200-250 yds.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i have always been attracted to lever guns, but have never owned one. What is the effective range with 35 Rem? Where I hunt to be successful I need to be able to reach out a ways over a cut crop field. Say 200-250 yds.
I'd put that at the absolute maximum range, if not past it.

At 100 yards though, you could shoot right through the crop - lol.