What's new

Photography Critiques Corner

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Ken I am a Canon guy as well, not because I think they are better but because that was what I originally purchased about 10 years ago and now I have too much Canon stuff to make a switch. I have never once used anything Nikon, so I don't even know what to say about their stuff.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
View attachment 32652

Well, here it is. The model was kind enough to wear tire marks the rest of the day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Photography and art are like cigars in that everyone has a different opinion of what they like. Technically speaking the image looks great! Good choice on the black and white. I don't know if I understand the concept, but that is what photography, art and cigars great.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All, Some great photos here :thumbsup: I am somewhat of a photographer and thought I'd throw a couple out there. Let me know what you think....

constructive critisism is much appreciated....

I like this image, but something about the out of focus flowers in the front and left of frame bothers me. I don't know why. Maybe they are too soft, I don't know. Good pics thou.
Personally, I love this picture.

The soft change in depth of field is soothing to the eyes, as opposed to a picture taken with a smaller aperture with the sharpness all over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ken I am a Canon guy as well, not because I think they are better but because that was what I originally purchased about 10 years ago and now I have too much Canon stuff to make a switch. I have never once used anything Nikon, so I don't even know what to say about their stuff.
Having used both canon and Nikon, there isn't much difference in quality and technicalities of similar model ranges. The only reason i stuck to Nikon is because the user interface was much more convenient than canon. In my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got bored ealier this month and tried something different.

The only thing that disappointed me was the fact that there was no froth left in the coffee!

Let me know if theres anything else you guys might notice!

Shot using 2 soft boxes, one for the key light on the right side, and 1 for a fill light right behind the subject. (The 2nd one was on the brightest model light setting and no flash)

Shot with my 70-300mm lens.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea that's why I use Canon now too. That and I know the menus and where the buttons are and I don't learn that stuff as quickly as I used too. LOL I have used my friends Nikon a little and it does a great job in truth. But don't tell my buddy it's more fun to pick on the Nikon and debate about it. :)

Heres a couple more.....

I remember when those ITSF were good and not dipdyed. THey were cheap too. Hey I think I have a few buried in my humi somewhere.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
And since I commented on someone else's photo, I feel I should post another. This one hangs on my wall as a gallery wrap on canvas. Around 30x20 or so.

Emerald Isle, North Carolina sunrise. The birds came in low and I had to snap away. This one came out the best.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And since I commented on someone else's photo, I feel I should post another. This one hangs on my wall as a gallery wrap on canvas. Around 30x20 or so.

Emerald Isle, North Carolina sunrise. The birds came in low and I had to snap away. This one came out the best.
Serene. Very calming. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Yup that bridge shot is a great one sixspeedsam! Haven't seen too many good images from that angle on the bridge.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Headed to the panhandle this weekend for 7 days. Hoping the kids and wife co-operate enough so I get a chance to make some more beach pictures.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

thankyou that's quite the compliment. :)
That's a great photo above, plain and simple but think I could squeeze more out of it w post processing. Did you take it in RAW?

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Yup RAW photo. Did some processing, but I don't remember how much. I don't do a lot with post processing other than the usual exposure changes and cropping.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
And since I am headed to the beach this weekend and hoping for some good photo weather, I have been going thru my last beach trip pics. Here is another. Tell me what you think.

Simple pre-sunrise.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yup RAW photo. Did some processing, but I don't remember how much. I don't do a lot with post processing other than the usual exposure changes and cropping.
I would be willing to do some post processing if you'd like. Great pic btw.

heres a little black and white ...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
You guys and your black and whites. I am going to have to go thru the archives and find some black and whites. Another nice one kenstogie. All the lines of the grass combined with the fence looks nice. Of course the bird is the icing. How come the right side of the grass in front of the fence is so much darker? (not that it's a bad thing) Shadows or thinner grass? The way the light hits the blades I guess.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I took that last summer and I kinda thought it looked like a dustbowl desert kinda thing but was actually near the coast in Maine. It was converted to b/w original was color. I think the grass was thinner on that side and so with the high contrast post proc it makes the ground underneath look dark but that's somewhat of a guess. Working on the raw btw.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliments - got some talented shooters here, nice pics! You guys are gonna start motivating me to break out the gear again, which becomes its own expensive slippery slope :tiphat:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

So here's what I did...

First I cropped the bottom and top for a couple of reasons. First to remove the "dead areas" that were just taking up space and also to take the horizon and put in above or below the middle of the pic. The birds and the wave seemed to take center stage so that's what I went with. Second I brought the exposure down on the sun and up on the waves to balance it out a bit plus this brings out alot of detail in the waves.. . That's why you take pix in raw if it were a jpg that detail probably would be gone. I gave a touch of saturation to the great golden red sun. Love that color. Then I sharpened it some which you have to be careful with. For most applications (ie laptops/tablet/cellphones) you'll probably never notice but if you blow that pic up you'll notice pixilation. And that's my take. 20 different photographer would probably process 20 different ways and 10 of them might be awesome in their own way.