What's new

Photography Critiques Corner

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Nice work....my print is cropped more like what you have there than the pic I posted so we are on the same page there. I really like how you got more detail in the waves without over doing the exposure elsewhere.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another thing that I noticed when working on the pic was the metadata. 1/50th and f 18 at 140 mm. ISO 200. I know that when your shooting you don't always have the luxury of switching everything the way you may like because it's a fleeting moment. That said 1/50th at 140mm is tough to keep sharp, great work. As a general rule at 50 mm 1/60th is as slow as you'd want to go and at 140mm i'd guess 1/100th. Another option would've been to open up your apt to F9 or so and speed up the shutter speed. This is another benefit of raw. Even is it's a little dark you can bring ALOT of the exposure up later on. Another would be to bump the ISO setting allowing you to use a faster shutter. I am not sure how "noisy" the 40d is but probably would ok up to 800 or soo (just guessing)

Enough of all that technical mumbo jumbo it's a great photo so awesome work, thanks for letting me work on it!

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Another thing that I noticed when working on the pic was the metadata. 1/50th and f 18 at 140 mm. ISO 200. I know that when your shooting you don't always have the luxury of switching everything the way you may like because it's a fleeting moment. That said 1/50th at 140mm is tough to keep sharp, great work. As a general rule at 50 mm 1/60th is as slow as you'd want to go and at 140mm i'd guess 1/100th. Another option would've been to open up your apt to F9 or so and speed up the shutter speed. This is another benefit of raw. Even is it's a little dark you can bring ALOT of the exposure up later on. Another would be to bump the ISO setting allowing you to use a faster shutter. I am not sure how "noisy" the 40d is but probably would ok up to 800 or soo (just guessing)

Enough of all that technical mumbo jumbo it's a great photo so awesome work, thanks for letting me work on it!
If I remember right I was on a tripod and shooting slow shutter landscapes when I saw that flock of birds coming. Pretty much turned and fired. Thanks for the advice I will def need to work on my post processing more.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Yep. That's what I'm gathering. I had always assumed it was all in the photo itself, but now I know

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like to see a good thread keep going, so keep em coming. Not my best work but I was using my travel camera (canon t1i) with the nifty fifty not my 7d. A lttle soft but not to bad. cool bug either way :)

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
This hit pretty close when vacationing at Lake Barkley Kentucky last year. Almost had to change my shorts after this one.

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
always wondered how to capture lightning. I live up by lake erie and storms are pretty awesome over the lake. I have little or no knowledge about my fiancee dslr cannon. lol

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I really like it. Sharp and shiny :) I to have often wondered how to capture lightning....... So howdya doit?

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Sorry been away from the computer a little while. I set my camera up on a tripod and use a remote shutter release so I don't have to touch the camera. The hardest part is being in a place where you are not getting rained on. I think with this image I used about a 15 sec exposure at a medium maybe ISO 1000 or so. I used my widest lens which is only 35mm and was wide open at 2.0. With the remote shutter I just point the camera in the direction of the most lightening and hit the button. Wait 15 secs and hope for the best, repeat til you get the shot.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry been away from the computer a little while. I set my camera up on a tripod and use a remote shutter release so I don't have to touch the camera. The hardest part is being in a place where you are not getting rained on. I think with this image I used about a 15 sec exposure at a medium maybe ISO 1000 or so. I used my widest lens which is only 35mm and was wide open at 2.0. With the remote shutter I just point the camera in the direction of the most lightening and hit the button. Wait 15 secs and hope for the best, repeat til you get the shot.
So it's like many things in life some skill and knowledge and some luck. LOL

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
So it's like many things in life some skill and knowledge and some luck. LOL
Yes to a degree luck. But a storm with a lot of electricity if you point towards the most, you are going to get it. Even if you have to make some settings corrections after a few shots.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We dont get many storms like that here in upstate NY, that I recall. That doesn't mean I won't try though.....and trying is the first step to succeeding ;)

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Question: what does it mean when someone says a picture is "soft", like the dragon fly picture above?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Question: what does it mean when someone says a picture is "soft", like the dragon fly picture above?
He is probably referring to the sharpness (or lack thereof) in the lines of the image. Edges aren't as crisp as you can get.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
The view from my vacation rental in Florida this week. Not done editing it, but actually liked the way it turned out.

44 images stitched together. Like I said, just a quick edit with some more work to do. And it is probably too small to really see the detail and such.