What's new

Photography Critiques Corner

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Personally I hate selective color photos, they just look cheesy. Maybe leaving it color but giving it a vintage feel with a slight desat and a warmer feel.

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Here's another one for your critique!

It was shot for a local brand called SASH.

With 2 Soft boxes. One key & one fill with a golver reflector.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com
This is actually one of the best pictures I've ever seen. Even though she's on a white background, you still got great depth of field from her pose. It's also incredibly sharp and really pops! Would you mind sharing the metadata?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personally I hate selective color photos, they just look cheesy. Maybe leaving it color but giving it a vintage feel with a slight desat and a warmer feel.
I don't think it turned out as well as I'd a liked but you gotta try different stuff. Sometime these can be cheezy but I have seen really great ones too. Can't do the same stuff all the time cuz that's boring!

AbeFroman

Big Gulps, huh?
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I don't think it turned out as well as I'd a liked but you gotta try different stuff. Sometime these can be cheezy but I have seen really great ones too. Can't do the same stuff all the time cuz that's boring!
You have to be really careful with it. There's a difference between stepping out of your boundaries and doing something that's gimmicky. If you keep doing them, my only suggestion is to work on the black and white part of it because it's pretty flat looking.

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
You have to be really careful with it. There's a difference between stepping out of your boundaries and doing something that's gimmicky. If you keep doing them, my only suggestion is to work on the black and white part of it because it's pretty flat looking.
The thing to remember with Selective Color is that less is more. Pick one object or color and focus on that.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
The thing to remember with Selective Color is that less is more. Pick one object or color and focus on that.
But even still, every clickin mom and most amateur/hobbyist out there does it in almost ever set they put out. Its just my personal feeling but I find them super tacky, same how I feel about HDR photos. People get started in it and over do it.

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I guess everyone has their own things they like and don't like. I personally love selective color if done right. As far as HDR, what's wrong with being able to catch detail in a backlit subject or low-light condition that would ordinarily be very difficult to capture or pull out in post-production? Sure, you could turn your ISO up but then you risk getting noisy pictures. The thing with both is knowing when to use them and how much to use.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with EVP. HDR doesn't have to be that surreal looking effect, though I do like that effect too even if done to much. HDR can just be a whole lotta dynamic range. I am sure that if they could get the sensors to capture that much DR they would. JMHO of course.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
To me people over process the effect and in essence "over cook " the image and its takes away from it for me. This is all personal preference over course but it has only become way way over done in like the last 6 years, also do to just simple filters being applied and not the actual process of multi shots.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me people over process the effect and in essence "over cook " the image and its takes away from it for me. This is all personal preference over course but it has only become way way over done in like the last 6 years, also do to just simple filters being applied and not the actual process of multi shots.
That which you mention is the perfect amateur mistake. To make it look 'hyperreal'..

I personally think HDR works best when you manage to extract the complete detail of the scenario without make the photograph look unreal.

Any thing above that just makes it look nasty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
This is the photo that got me the most interested in photography seriously. I had purchased a DSLR right before my wedding to take on my honeymoon in Jamaica. This is from a lake vacation shortly after that about 8 years ago.

From a moving boat headed on an early morning fishing trip.

AbeFroman

Big Gulps, huh?
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I guess everyone has their own things they like and don't like. I personally love selective color if done right. As far as HDR, what's wrong with being able to catch detail in a backlit subject or low-light condition that would ordinarily be very difficult to capture or pull out in post-production? Sure, you could turn your ISO up but then you risk getting noisy pictures. The thing with both is knowing when to use them and how much to use.
You know what they say about HDR...If it's actually well done then the untrained eye can't tell it's an HDR image.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a newbie to photography but I've been learning a lot recently. This is one I took a couple days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Post-processing makes for an interesting polls, but few fruitful discussions. Amazing to me how polarizing the topic can be. I have been rather firmly in the camp that says any post-processing other than cropping is 'cheating'; or at least, stepping out of the realm of photography-art. I assumed that most 'older' (experienced?) photographers, especially those from the days of film, would feel the same -- and that the Lightroom/Photoshop camp would consist of younger (or newer) artists. But, I'm finding that not to be the case so much. I continue to be amazed at the huge acceptance of post-processing amongst a local society of professional and very serious amateurs. I recognize that things have been changing in the photography world - I'm just not ready to embrace them all.