What's new

Photography Critiques Corner

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hear you. Most of the photographersor maybe all I know post process and in my case (and those that shoot in Raw) post processing is essentially mandatory. Like it or not I don't think it's going anywhere. I would love to just be able to capture what my eye sees but that is not possible/feasible with todays technology. HDR photography can come closer to that if done properly.

I do know a few old school photographers and most of them used the darkroom as we use LR/PS these days. I myself used to develop B/W in a darkroom in college/HS. I am not sure if that makes me "old" school or not, LOL.

The only constant is change. -BC
Got to keep on rolling.... -AD

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
To me people over process the effect and in essence "over cook " the image and its takes away from it for me. This is all personal preference over course but it has only become way way over done in like the last 6 years, also do to just simple filters being applied and not the actual process of multi shots.
Post-processing makes for an interesting polls, but few fruitful discussions. Amazing to me how polarizing the topic can be. I have been rather firmly in the camp that says any post-processing other than cropping is 'cheating'; or at least, stepping out of the realm of photography-art. I assumed that most 'older' (experienced?) photographers, especially those from the days of film, would feel the same -- and that the Lightroom/Photoshop camp would consist of younger (or newer) artists. But, I'm finding that not to be the case so much. I continue to be amazed at the huge acceptance of post-processing amongst a local society of professional and very serious amateurs. I recognize that things have been changing in the photography world - I'm just not ready to embrace them all.
I agree everyone can go in all different directions, but based on your opinion of doing any post is cheating because it wasn't done in camera then cropping would most certainly be cheating. Setting up and composing a shot is what makes most any shot, cropping it to get it to be a "good" shot in ones is then cheating as well.

Now I know many old old schoolers that agree though that LR/PS is just todays modern darkroom, because many of them would make changes to their photos while in the darkroom, not just develop them to develop them. So that argument is often thrown out as well. When shooting digital and in RAW you photos need some ** because the RAW format can well leave them flat. If you shoot JPEG your camera is actually doing its own ** (sharpen, vibrance, contrast...) so its not really what the camera truly sees.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I have this one printed on canvas gallery wrap. It looks nice. How do you all like to show off your photos? Print and frame? Canvas?

AbeFroman

Big Gulps, huh?
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
To me people over process the effect and in essence "over cook " the image and its takes away from it for me. This is all personal preference over course but it has only become way way over done in like the last 6 years, also do to just simple filters being applied and not the actual process of multi shots.
Post-processing makes for an interesting polls, but few fruitful discussions. Amazing to me how polarizing the topic can be. I have been rather firmly in the camp that says any post-processing other than cropping is 'cheating'; or at least, stepping out of the realm of photography-art. I assumed that most 'older' (experienced?) photographers, especially those from the days of film, would feel the same -- and that the Lightroom/Photoshop camp would consist of younger (or newer) artists. But, I'm finding that not to be the case so much. I continue to be amazed at the huge acceptance of post-processing amongst a local society of professional and very serious amateurs. I recognize that things have been changing in the photography world - I'm just not ready to embrace them all.
That just seems like a very grey statement. Photoshop/LR has become the modern darkroom; a lot of the adjustments you could do in a traditional darkroom can still be done digitally. Trying to get it right in camera is a good thing to try to achieve every time, but sometimes adjustments are necessary. I hate how images will be completely over processed, but that's also what makes that photographer's style unique to them and what makes my style unique to me. Saying that using Photoshop to change an image steps out of the realm of photography-art is just silly. If you want to keep your images organic, then that's fine because that's your style, but it sounds elitist to say that people are less of a photographer by using a digital program to adjust their image. All of my stuff has some sort of processing done to it, but I still try to keep them as natural looking as possible. It just depends what you're into. I shot primarily with a 1D II and all my images would look flat when I got them on my computer, so I'd have to add something to make it pop. Some of the better photo manipulations out there are really impressive and it'd be foolish to not consider it art.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I shoot with a variety of cameras and lenses. Film is great, yea. You get a different result with film. But expense wise, I cannot justify shooting film. It's an expensive hobby. When I was shooting with my Hasselblad with 120 and 220, I was spending over $30 to develop each time. But I still shoot Polaroid 667 and 669 to this day. Mainly shoot editorial, fashion, and music. I do use photoshop, rarely. Nothing to change the photograph entirely. I'm not saying photoshop is bad, I just don't use it a lot.

Here are a few of my photos:
The Academy Is...
5274134191_e114d5d5d7_z.jpg

Matera, Italy
5693662480_6765f356bc_z.jpg

The Academy Is...
7712768992_f77a6b4188_c.jpg

NYC shoot for Kony 2012 campaign:
7576820176_184af496dd_c.jpg

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Your concert pictures reminded me of when I worked in Radio and got to shoot in studio and at concerts. Here was one of my fav interviews and photos.

Kevin Nealon in kind of an environmental portrait.

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
My favorite of yours Adam is the last one in the series. The NYC shoot for Kony 2012 campaign one. I liked it when I first saw it on your site. I am no photo expert though.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Haven't seen any action on this thread in a while, thought I would try and revive it a little.

Printed 16x24 but not framed yet.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't been on here in a while. Started working at a brand new shop in Houston and been super busy but it gives me an opportunity to play around with some photos. Let me know what y'all think

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Haven't been on here in a while. Started working at a brand new shop in Houston and been super busy but it gives me an opportunity to play around with some photos. Let me know what y'all think
I like the light and shallow depth of field in this one. And I love a good Padron. Nice job here. If I had a nit pick, it might be to bring out a little more color in the whiskey.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I like it but would prefer a smaller aperture. I agree the jack needs to be back or bottom lit to highlight it more. love the composition of it though.

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I noticed this guy sitting on my patio when I went out for a smoke a couple months ago. He eventually moved to the little area in front of my patio and gave me a nice pose.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Took this during World PhotoWalk. This is Heart Lake at a Nature Preserve in Islip, NY.

I like the color and reflection on the water, but that stick going straight up in the middle of the frame distracts. I assume you were probably going for something in the foreground to draw viewers into the rest of the photo, but the stick I think is just too much and too centered. I think you could have accomplished the foreground interest with a little more of the bank in front of you with the grasses and maybe some more of the tree on the right in the frame. I like the tree on the right, I just think you needed to include more of it.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I totally understand being scared of someone taking your work and watermarking it (we have all been there and its said to say but its will happen) but saturating your work in a watermark is not the way to go. It is totally distracting and kills every photograph and will kill it for possible clients viewing your work online. Stick to one clean watermark and be done brother, just make sure not to allow people to access your high res work on-line.