What's new

Photography Critiques Corner

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thought I'd throw out a before (as Shot) picture and and After (post processing) and how much you detail you can get out of those raws.

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Hope you don't mind but I played around with your image as well. I don't get to play with raw images all that often as I mostly photograph events and need to be able to take shots in rapid succession. Gotta play with them more.

Attachments

Last edited:

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Love the photo s racfosus and hiten! You know there a quite a few b&h photos workshops on you tube that are damn near a college class on photography. Its called b&h event space. Check it out if you dont like it I will give you a complete refund! ( ummmmmm they are free ;) )
Hey thanks for the workshop info. I will get a lot of use out of this channel on youtube.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you don't mind but I played around with your image as well. I don't get to play with raw images all that often as I mostly photograph events and need to be able to take shots in rapid succession. Gotta play with them more.

What camera do you use for your events? As most cameras are able to shoot RAW in rapid frames. In fact for some rolling shots at the Abu Dhabi grand prix I used only RAW on the CH (continuous high) mode.

On another note, what might be the solution is a faster memory card. The SanDisk extreme perhaps. They support speeds upto 90mbps.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0

What camera do you use for your events? As most cameras are able to shoot RAW in rapid frames. In fact for some rolling shots at the Abu Dhabi grand prix I used only RAW on the CH (continuous high) mode.

On another note, what might be the solution is a faster memory card. The SanDisk extreme perhaps. They support speeds upto 90mbps.

I shoot with a Sony a65 24.3mp primarily or a Sony hx100 hybridwhen I can't get a dslr through the door (security, depending on the venue). I have the SanDisk extreme card now and remove the photos from it once I import them to my computer. But a camera writing a 24mb file is not the fastest thing in the world and, like I said, since I shoot mostly events, I need to be able to take pictures in rapid succession. One day when I'm out and just playing around, I'll shoot raw, but for right now speed is of the essence.

Also, the people I've shot for need a quick turnaround on the pictures....no more than 24 hours (next morning is preferred) so they can get them up on their webpage. Depending on the event, that could be as many as 500 pictures to edit.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

you are more than welcome to play with the images. They are actually both jpg by tye time they are posted on the web.though. You can still edit jpg too just there is not as much data to manipulate.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I shoot with a Sony a65 24.3mp primarily or a Sony hx100 hybridwhen I can't get a dslr through the door (security, depending on the venue). I have the SanDisk extreme card now and remove the photos from it once I import them to my computer. But a camera writing a 24mb file is not the fastest thing in the world and, like I said, since I shoot mostly events, I need to be able to take pictures in rapid succession. One day when I'm out and just playing around, I'll shoot raw, but for right now speed is of the essence.

Also, the people I've shot for need a quick turnaround on the pictures....no more than 24 hours (next morning is preferred) so they can get them up on their webpage. Depending on the event, that could be as many as 500 pictures to edit.
You can shoot 8 fps with a 7d. Use lightroom and if you are quick and get your rhythm down......
Quick awesome pix.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I love to shoot with the high speed function with RAW on my 40d. Especially when taking pics of the kids and such. Fires fast enough for me. Writing to the card can be slow at times if I shoot 6 to 8 really quick shots. Keep the awesome photos coming guys.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah, when it's raw you have to spend more time on it in post processing. It can become a hassle when you've got tons of images

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great photo, nice work. Which makes me ask as I look on a small tablet. How do you post process that looks good on most devices?

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Great photo, nice work. Which makes me ask as I look on a small tablet. How do you post process that looks good on most devices?
It all matter one where the photo is uploaded. Flickr and other image hosting sites will keep the photo art a great high res file. Now when you upload to say FB and other places that restrict your file size/compress it for easy viewing it will then look terrible.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Here's another one for your critique!

It was shot for a local brand called SASH.

With 2 Soft boxes. One key & one fill with a golver reflector.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com
Light looks great! If you want critique I am not sure I like the spread eagle birthing pose, but I am not good with posing. I am guessing the intent was to show off the outfit. That's why I do mostly landscapes and happy snaps of the kids.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I realized about every photo I have posted has to do with water. Guess that's because I love to vacation near the water. So here is something a little different. I like the layers and the blue color the fog made the Smokey Mountains look in this one from the top of Clingsman's Dome. Hope you enjoy.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming you're talking about color correction & Gamma settings ? Well if thats the case, there's not much one can do about how they appear on other devices as most devices have different lcd's with different gamma settings, some might have warmer tints, some might have cooler tints. The only thing we could do from our end is to use a calibrated screen to work on. Giving us the closest representation to the real light.

It all matter one where the photo is uploaded. Flickr and other image hosting sites will keep the photo art a great high res file. Now when you upload to say FB and other places that restrict your file size/compress it for easy viewing it will then look terrible.
True that!

Here's another one for your critique!

It was shot for a local brand called SASH.

With 2 Soft boxes. One key & one fill with a golver reflector.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com
Light looks great! If you want critique I am not sure I like the spread eagle birthing pose, but I am not good with posing. I am guessing the intent was to show off the outfit. That's why I do mostly landscapes and happy snaps of the kids.
Hahahaha, yeah I refered to this pose as the Lamaze practice pose. But the intention of the client was the show the freedom the outfit provides since these are Yoga pants.

Thanks everyone!

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I figured as much Hiten. Nice work with the white seemless. It is a tough devil to crack for an amateur like me.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I figured as much Hiten. Nice work with the white seemless. It is a tough devil to crack for an amateur like me.

Um an amateur too. This was intact my first ever freelance project

I have tried the white seemless a few times with the kids, but I don't really have enough room in my basement to pull it off correctly. I always end up with a greyish or blueish shadow on the backdrop.

Hopefully this freelance project leads to more for you!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Um an amateur too. This was intact my first ever freelance project

I have tried the white seemless a few times with the kids, but I don't really have enough room in my basement to pull it off correctly. I always end up with a greyish or blueish shadow on the backdrop.

Hopefully this freelance project leads to more for you!
What I did here was to use the fill light to kill dark shadows on the model as well as blowout the background

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, I learned to check those settings. I inadvertently had limited my resolution, which would explain why some images seemed soft. I of course bumped it up.