What's new

Pics of Your Sticks

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Good question. I'm not sure. Both sides look the same to me. I figure I'll put the peg on the left side and the foot will be down. That way I'll know how to bunch the cigar.
Make sense? I'll have to mark them somehow when I take them out of the mold.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have extensively mooted setting up just such a shop on-line. I have the software, the server, the domain (torcedoritos.com), the bank gateway (that's the REALLY hard part!), the LLC, etc. etc. Let me now get off the dime & make the offer. I'll write up a proposal & send it to Bliss, MarcL, Hooligan etc. Anyone wants to listen & possibly participate, shoot me a PM.
Mooting this project has chewed me up and spit me out. I just cannot put a pencil to it coming from any direction and come out in the black. I give up. If the FDA backs off, or if that bill now stalled in congress comes thru, then the story may change.

I had a lot more things to say on the subject, but I gotta go mow the lawn.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your right. back in that day, the tapered foot was easier to light.
Having switched over to hand rolling with no mold I find that these shapes to be the natural shape of the cigar. When rolling the bunch, the tobacco thins out at both ends causing the shape to taper.

So it would seem fair to say that a perfectly tube shape is unnatural. It requires chopping off good tobacco for the sake of appearance to get down far enough for a consistent pressure from one end to the other.

Do you know when the perfectly round cigar became in vogue?

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Having switched over to hand rolling with no mold I find that these shapes to be the natural shape of the cigar. When rolling the bunch, the tobacco thins out at both ends causing the shape to taper.

So it would seem fair to say that a perfectly tube shape is unnatural. It requires chopping off good tobacco for the sake of appearance to get down far enough for a consistent pressure from one end to the other.

Do you know when the perfectly round cigar became in vogue?
No, I don't. When?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this in a quick search...

You have two basic shapes... A parejo is a cigar that has straight sides and a rounded head. This description would apply to the majority of cigars made. On the other hand, a figurado is any shape other than a parejo.

“Figurado” shapes with pointed ends; launched commemorating the style of
the cigars which first made Havana famous in the 19th century. Gradually the
fashion changed to parejo or parallel sided cigars and by the late 1930’s this
shape had virtually disappeared.
Carlos Izquiero Gongalez, at 65, who has spent his whole life in tobacco, was
one of the few remaining rollers who could still create a figurado. In 1995 he
assembled and trained a team of 14, mostly women, to recreate the rare
figurado sizes for Cuaba. Cigars made before April 1997 were made without
wooden mould, causing each one to be slightly different. These have become
collector’s items

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that the introduction of the Lieberman rolling machine helped greatly to promote the parejo shape and helped faze out the figurado. Cigars could be made in a cylinder shape faster using less skilled labor. It allows almost anyone to achieve the same results. Gets rid of craftsman and puts anyone in the seat mass producing cigars

I find it somewhat disingenuous in an industry that talks about 'pride' and 'passion' and 'handmade' showing rollers applying wrappers by hand but not showing the 'behind the scenes' machine used to make the bunch using unskilled workers. Like producing 'paint by number' art pieces and then selling them as original "hand painted" pieces of art.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It seems that the introduction of the Lieberman rolling machine helped greatly to promote the parejo shape and helped faze out the figurado. Cigars could be made in a cylinder shape faster using less skilled labor. It allows almost anyone to achieve the same results. Gets rid of craftsman and puts anyone in the seat mass producing cigars

I find it somewhat disingenuous in an industry that talks about 'pride' and 'passion' and 'handmade' showing rollers applying wrappers by hand but not showing the 'behind the scenes' machine used to make the bunch using unskilled workers. Like producing 'paint by number' art pieces and then selling them as original "hand painted" pieces of art.
spot on