What's new

Pics of Your Sticks

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
It totally f'in works. I've worked with certain leaf over nearly a 2-year period of blending, rolling, and aging, and done many blends with- and without, and there have been recent times where the mojo version came into amazing fruition after a year of age and the non-mojo'd just stayed relatively the same and so-so. It's almost as if the sugars in the mojo were increasing the tempo of the enzymatic breakdowns in the leaf... (insert here Hopduro laughing his ass off).

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
That's right! I can't remember a damn thing it seems anymore, at least that's what my wife tells me. My recipe and process is pretty detailed in there, I can't take any personal credit for it there though. The process of letting the pineapple sit and naturally ferment in the water for a few days is what I learned from Willy and I'm sure he learned that decades ago from his relatives in Cuba. I can taste pineapple on the cold draw sometimes on my sauced sticks but never in the smoke itself so that is why I don't call it flavored or infused or anything like that. The acidity of the pineapple is actually balancing the ph of the tobacco and that is why the mojo smooths out the ligero or the leaf that might be a little green yet. Science!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's right! I can't remember a damn thing it seems anymore, at least that's what my wife tells me. My recipe and process is pretty detailed in there, I can't take any personal credit for it there though. The process of letting the pineapple sit and naturally ferment in the water for a few days is what I learned from Willy and I'm sure he learned that decades ago from his relatives in Cuba. I can taste pineapple on the cold draw sometimes on my sauced sticks but never in the smoke itself so that is why I don't call it flavored or infused or anything like that. The acidity of the pineapple is actually balancing the ph of the tobacco and that is why the mojo smooths out the ligero or the leaf that might be a little green yet. Science!
Did the vanilla/rum flavor come through? These both go very nicely with tobacco.

It seems that Mojo thread just died for some reason.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
None of the additive flavors come through, In the small amounts being used to case the tobacco it doesn't really surprise me. I suppose if you really gave the leaf a soaking and then dried it would, but I would rather drink the rum while I smoke the cigar personally

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the additive flavors come through, In the small amounts being used to case the tobacco it doesn't really surprise me. I suppose if you really gave the leaf a soaking and then dried it would, but I would rather drink the rum while I smoke the cigar personally
In Bentleys book the reason for the alcohol is to 'cut' the oils in the flavoring and act as a preservative to the bottled juice. The flavoring would come mostly from the vanilla (or in his case he used almond extract). The use of glycerin was extremely important as it "carries the flavors". Flavors left out all on their own will simply evaporate over time and you end up with nothing or very little at best. The flavor molecule bonds with the glycerin.

I find it interesting that today's vaping methods also use both polyglycol (PG) and glycerin (VG) for not only 'cloud production' but they help carry the flavor to the palate of the vaporist.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
In Bentleys book the reason for the alcohol is to 'cut' the oils in the flavoring and act as a preservative to the bottled juice. The flavoring would come mostly from the vanilla (or in his case he used almond extract). The use of glycerin was extremely important as it "carries the flavors". Flavors left out all on their own will simply evaporate over time and you end up with nothing or very little at best. The flavor molecule bonds with the glycerin.

I find it interesting that today's vaping methods also use both polyglycol (PG) and glycerin (VG) for not only 'cloud production' but they help carry the flavor to the palate of the vaporist.
Stole this from a Vape manufacturer's website:
"E-liquid begins with the main base, vegetable glycerin. We (and most other manufacturers) use certified organic VG—the glycerin doesn't carry flavor very well, but does produce a lot of vapor. The next ingredient is propylene glycol—this is usually cited by alarmists as being a "main ingredient in antifreeze." This is incorrect, as they're willfully confusing it with diethylene glycol, which has actually been found in mass market e-cig products. I absolutely do not add any of that to my liquid because I do not make antifreeze.

Propylene glycol—or PG—is a main ingredient in albuterol, or asthma inhalers, and is perfectly safe to inhale when vaporized. PG is thinner than VG, and carries flavor very well—the next ingredient, flavorings, are usually suspended in PG. Flavorings are food-grade, can be natural or artificial, and are limited only by the imagination of the juice maker."

So... chuck some PG in your mojo? :p

nic

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
"E-liquid begins with the main base, vegetable glycerin. We (and most other manufacturers) use certified organic VG—the glycerin doesn't carry flavor very well, but does produce a lot of vapor. The next ingredient is propylene glycol—this is usually cited by alarmists as being a "main ingredient in antifreeze." This is incorrect, as they're willfully confusing it with diethylene glycol, which has actually been found in mass market e-cig products. I absolutely do not add any of that to my liquid because I do not make antifreeze.

Propylene glycol—or PG—is a main ingredient in albuterol, or asthma inhalers, and is perfectly safe to inhale when vaporized. PG is thinner than VG, and carries flavor very well—the next ingredient, flavorings, are usually suspended in PG. Flavorings are food-grade, can be natural or artificial, and are limited only by the imagination of the juice maker."

Why is this being posted in the picture thread? Go post in the mojo thread, ya jerk.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Not to be alarmist, but I experimented HEAVILY with PG and VG in my mojos about a year ago and somewhere along the line I got in trouble, fucked up something inside me. You'll see that shortly after those "Insanity Juice" sticks that you noticed, I fell from the scene for several months. My lung troubles might have come from something completely else, or they might have come from some of the vape flaves I used, probably including some of those sketchy cream-flavored ones that they replaced with stuff less likely to cause popcorn lung.... I'm much better now but still have some nasty lingering problems. In fact when GDaddy disappeared around teh same time, I wondered if he'd got into the same troubles....was happy to learn that wasn't the case. Even if it came from teh flavors, not the PG or VG, I said f this and chucked my entire pg/vg/flavors kit. For awhile I thought I'd never smoke again.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be alarmist, but I experimented HEAVILY with PG and VG in my mojos about a year ago and somewhere along the line I got in trouble, fucked up something inside me. You'll see that shortly after those "Insanity Juice" sticks that you noticed, I fell from the scene for several months. My lung troubles might have come from something completely else, or they might have come from some of the vape flaves I used, probably including some of those sketchy cream-flavored ones that they replaced with stuff less likely to cause popcorn lung.... I'm much better now but still have some nasty lingering problems. In fact when GDaddy disappeared around teh same time, I wondered if he'd got into the same troubles....was happy to learn that wasn't the case. Even if it came from teh flavors, not the PG or VG, I said f this and chucked my entire pg/vg/flavors kit. For awhile I thought I'd never smoke again.
Interesting. Do you inhale the cigar smoke sometimes?

Some people (I think you said you were) allergic to PG and can have an adverse reaction. This alone is a good reason to leave the PG out of the formula.

It sounds like you researched it. The cream flavored (custard note) ones contain diacetyl that are being blamed for popcorn lung (the jury is still out). I don't know what happens to vape liquids when they burn at higher than expected temperatures. I can imagine they could turn into some pretty nasty stuff. Another good reason to avoid it. I tread lightly when adding sauce stuff.

Glad you're feeling better. I think my problem was I had a sinus problem for a while. Cigars tasted so incredibly bitter and acrid I quit smoking them but seem to be back to normal now.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Interesting. Do you inhale the cigar smoke sometimes?

Some people (I think you said you were) allergic to PG and can have an adverse reaction. This alone is a good reason to leave the PG out of the formula.

It sounds like you researched it. The cream flavored (custard note) ones contain diacetyl that are being blamed for popcorn lung (the jury is still out). I don't know what happens to vape liquids when they burn at higher than expected temperatures. I can imagine they could turn into some pretty nasty stuff. Another good reason to avoid it. I tread lightly when adding sauce stuff.

Glad you're feeling better. I think my problem was I had a sinus problem for a while. Cigars tasted so incredibly bitter and acrid I quit smoking them but seem to be back to normal now.
Yeah. I took a huge flying risk, combusting things that should not be combusted, "just to find out what happens." This is a lifestyle of mine going back to about age 3, and it has always resulted in disaster. No one who's known me for a long time can believe I'm still alive. I'm not kidding.

No, I don't inhale, but there's no way to avoid slight second-hand inhaling of your own stuff sometimes, even outdoors....

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Yeah. I took a huge flying risk, combusting things that should not be combusted, "just to find out what happens." This is a lifestyle of mine going back to about age 3, and it has always resulted in disaster. No one who's known me for a long time can believe I'm still alive. I'm not kidding.

No, I don't inhale, but there's no way to avoid slight second-hand inhaling of your own stuff sometimes, even indoors....
I tried to smoke just about everything when I was a teen-ager to see if it would get me high. Probably the worst thing i tried were lead paint chips and bird shit scraped off of my windowsill.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I vote NO PG in your mojo.

Remember, we aren't going to 'vaporize' the pg so it's safe as tested... instead cigars are going to burned at much higher temperatures.

Both, PG and VG are used as a humectant and they both carry the flavors. VG is like sweet sugar water whereas PG has a funny weird taste to it that I don't like.

U.S. library of medicine...

"Glycerin is applied to cigarette tobacco at levels in the range of about 1-5% to improve moisture holding characteristics of tobacco and act as a surface active agent for flavor application."

It has been studied at burn temperatures and found to be safe.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15967561