What's new

Pics of Your Sticks

Jan Bynens

Moscca
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shorties rolled from damaged leave wrapped in Honuduran Havano Seco. (#54 x 5+")
The leave is very thing and narrow and gave me some problems in the beginning, but now I love to work with it !
My wife had me to hang those faces on the wall so I gave the cigars some couleur locale !

Couleur locale.jpg

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Reading down, I noticed the non-mentioning of NOT TO DRAW IN when doing this. It's kind of common sense as well as to push out the steam produced in purpose.
I didn't go back and re-read my instructions on the microwave drying trick, but if I recall correctly, I said that one should BLOW the steam out.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The Dominican binder is very neutral and easy to work with. The Ec. Seco binder is phenomenal and you get wrapper leaves in there. Someone on here uses the nic. binder

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
My experience has been that I get a significant tobacco flavor from the Dominican binder. I use it in most of my blends, but I wouldn't call it neutral at all. It's good leaf, however.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Never heard of the microwave method I’ll have to go look for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The microwave trick works like a charm. However, it's easy to over-dry a cigar. Once can judge how much more microwaving is required by observing the amount of steam you're blowing out. Also the cigar can tighten up so that you cannot blow steam through it. (the wet leaf swells up to choke off air flow)
Play around with the process a bit so you get a feel of how much microwavin' you need. Your microwave could be newer than mine and so your cigars would require less time being exposed to microwaves.

akpreacherplayz

The Preacher
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
The microwave trick works like a charm. However, it's easy to over-dry a cigar. Once can judge how much more microwaving is required by observing the amount of steam you're blowing out. Also the cigar can tighten up so that you cannot blow steam through it. (the wet leaf swells up to choke off air flow)
Play around with the process a bit so you get a feel of how much microwavin' you need. Your microwave could be newer than mine and so your cigars would require less time being exposed to microwaves.
Yeah I went back and looked at an old thread about it and did it last night. Worked great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of the microwave method I’ll have to go look for it
http://www.botl.org/threads/microwave-drying-with-excellent-results.87599/

My first success was to punch or cut the end of the cigar and them mic it for only 10 seconds. (standard household microwave heats one cigar very quickly) then remove the cigar and blow in the end to remove the steam from inside the cigar. You can actually see the steam blowing out the end if you do it under a light. (I blow it into the vent fan under the microwave and can clearly see the steam blowing out).

Then, another 10 seconds and blow it out again. By the third time the steam had diminished to little to none coming out. Stop, it's done. Let it cool for half an hour and it's ready to smoke. Like it's rested for 4 months. Yes, it really is that easy.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice!
I find that when the moisture is removed properly the leaf actually shrinks down a bit and opens up the draw. Conversely, an overly moist cigar can swell to the point of splitting the wrapper and making a tight draw.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
http://www.botl.org/threads/microwave-drying-with-excellent-results.87599/

My first success was to punch or cut the end of the cigar and them mic it for only 10 seconds. (standard household microwave heats one cigar very quickly) then remove the cigar and blow in the end to remove the steam from inside the cigar. You can actually see the steam blowing out the end if you do it under a light. (I blow it into the vent fan under the microwave and can clearly see the steam blowing out).

Then, another 10 seconds and blow it out again. By the third time the steam had diminished to little to none coming out. Stop, it's done. Let it cool for half an hour and it's ready to smoke. Like it's rested for 4 months. Yes, it really is that easy.
Good instructions
I cool in the fridge or freezer because the air is really dry there. And it saves time

My process for one right off the rolling table:

Dry in a 170 degree oven (my lowest setting) I set the kitchen timer for 8 minutes from room temp to 170. After 8 minutes I take the stick out and let it cool. (Use the fridge) Then I nuke it once or twice at 8 seconds each, cooling between each evolution of nuking. ( I use the fridge to hasten the process)
This is for a fresh roll. The oven dryers the binder, wrapper and glue. The microwave process dries the inside of the fresh roll.