What's new

Pics of Your Sticks

Growley Monster

Proud Creator of the Imperfecto
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried to draw on the little guy in Sumatra wrap last night, thinking to smoke it, and I barely get anything through it. Maybe when it dries a bit, but I think I just rolled that one too tight. Also I tried a different bunching method on that one and maybe that was the cause. Anyway fingers crossed that it passes more air once it is dried to around 65% or so. I might let that one go drier. Smoked a triple Nic Viso that was a month old and it was fine. I am not getting the bad tastes and aromas that a not fresh but not really aged cigar is supposed to have. I don't know what that's all about. So far almost all of my sticks are burning nicely except a couple that were too tight, even the scrap rolls, and all have tasted at least good if not excellent.

Anyway here is what I rolled this morning. My objective is to every week roll at least 10 more than I smoke that week so in a year I can occasionally have an aged one, and hopefully in 3 years I can smoke nothing but 3 year old cigars. I am a stingy so-and-so and I don't share, so maybe I can pull it off.

Without further adoo, here are my two 4th of July rolls

Growley Monster

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rolled these yesterday, pic taken when they were still wet off the bench. Top one split the wrapper at the head. I might repair it but I will probably just flat cut it when I smoke it. Filler was 3 Criollo 98, 1 Ecuador Viso, with Ecuador Viso binder and Nic. CT Shade wrapper. To keep the blend consistent I put all small leaves together and all larger leaves together, so the same blend isn't always the same size cigar.

I keep planning to roll a batch of parejos, but the Imperfecto keeps whispering in my ear, urging me to not trim the bound bunch up high and tight, and guiding my hand into an S curve when cutting the wrapper. Imperfectos just happen. I can't stop myself! It doesn't help that I just love how easy they light, how nicely they smoke, and how retro they look.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a few weeks, but finished up batch 1/3 of double Paraguayan Ligeros! Will have to report back how they turn out. Good suggestion on rolling some double/triple Ligeros [mention]BrewinHooligan [/mention] . Next up will be some Dominican triple Ligeros with the same binder & wrapper combos!

Growley Monster

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a few weeks, but finished up batch 1/3 of double Paraguayan Ligeros! Will have to report back how they turn out. Good suggestion on rolling some double/triple Ligeros [mention]BrewinHooligan [/mention] . Next up will be some Dominican triple Ligeros with the same binder & wrapper combos!

When you refer to double Ligero or triple Ligero, you mean two leaves or three leaves of Ligero only, for filler? Or Ligero filler and binder vs Ligero filler, binder, and wrapper? So far, I have only tried Seco and VIso leaves for wrappers.

I have been rolling a few in 100% Ecuadorian Viso that Leaf Only has been selling, very nice. Takes a while to adjust back to the relative lack of flavor in Seco dominant cigars. The Viso Puros are packed with flavor, that's for sure. I rolled a few with the Viso and about 1/3 Dominican Criollo 98 Ligero, and several with a couple of Seco leaves added, but I didn't try 100% Ligero, nor Ligero from any other variety or country of origin. I think maybe I should try to score a pound of a different Ligero leaf, and have a go with it. I need to order some more of the Ec Viso anyway.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you refer to double Ligero or triple Ligero, you mean two leaves or three leaves of Ligero only, for filler? Or Ligero filler and binder vs Ligero filler, binder, and wrapper? So far, I have only tried Seco and VIso leaves for wrappers.

I have been rolling a few in 100% Ecuadorian Viso that Leaf Only has been selling, very nice. Takes a while to adjust back to the relative lack of flavor in Seco dominant cigars. The Viso Puros are packed with flavor, that's for sure. I rolled a few with the Viso and about 1/3 Dominican Criollo 98 Ligero, and several with a couple of Seco leaves added, but I didn't try 100% Ligero, nor Ligero from any other variety or country of origin. I think maybe I should try to score a pound of a different Ligero leaf, and have a go with it. I need to order some more of the Ec Viso anyway.
Hey Growley Monster!

You hit it spot on. I’m the Paraguayan filler sticks I just finished have 2 different Paraguayan Ligeros (1 leaf each) + 1 Paraguayan Viso. No Seco. Batch 2/3 will be 3 different Dominican Ligeros (1 leaf of each). No Viso or Seco. [mention]BrewinHooligan [/mention] made a suggestion to try it out. I’m glad I did! With it being primarily or all Ligero in the filler. His suggestion was to keep the binder & wrapper on the thinner side to help with the burning of the thicker Ligero filler. I used Cameroon, Vuelta Abajo, and Dominican Piloto Cubano binders. Wrappers used were Brazil Cubra Viso, Cameroon, Sumatra, and Ecuadorian Shade Seco.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Hey Growley Monster!

You hit it spot on. I’m the Paraguayan filler sticks I just finished have 2 different Paraguayan Ligeros (1 leaf each) + 1 Paraguayan Viso. No Seco. Batch 2/3 will be 3 different Dominican Ligeros (1 leaf of each). No Viso or Seco. [mention]BrewinHooligan [/mention] made a suggestion to try it out. I’m glad I did! With it being primarily or all Ligero in the filler. His suggestion was to keep the binder & wrapper on the thinner side to help with the burning of the thicker Ligero filler. I used Cameroon, Vuelta Abajo, and Dominican Piloto Cubano binders. Wrappers used were Brazil Cubra Viso, Cameroon, Sumatra, and Ecuadorian Shade Seco.
Hide some from yourself if you can. After a few years they really are something special, at least in my opinion and experience.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hide some from yourself if you can. After a few years they really are something special, at least in my opinion and experience.
I just may have to! Any commercial sticks heavy in the Ligero department that I’ve had, seem to mostly get better with time. It’s also pretty interesting to try them over various times to see how changes have occurred. This Ligero project I’m knee deep in has been fun for sure brother. Much appreciation on the suggestion!

Side note:

Bound these babies up Yesterday morning, through today:

B-Double Cameroon
F- 1x Dom CV Black Ligero
1x Dom Criollo ‘98 Ligero
1x Dom Corojo ‘99 Ligero

All filler rolled entubado. Ring gauges seem to range from the low 40’s to about 52 at the widest. These are all about 10”-12”ish. Planning trimming them up a bit once ready for wrappers to get more of a uniform look to them. Also, to potentially cut around any perceived problem areas.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finish binding up batch 2/3 of the Triple Dominican Ligeros!

B- Double Vuelta Abajo
F- 1x Black Ligero
1x Criollo ‘98 Ligero
1x Corojo ‘99 Ligero