What's new

Rehydrating Bovedas

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever checked the humidity level of Boveda after it has been recharged 2 or 3 times? Does a 69% packet, for example, still maintain 69% or does that shift with repeated recharges? What about overcharged (stuffed) Boveda?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing this with a glass bowl half filled with distilled water in a ziploc.

Got a rotation going between desktop , winedor and baggie.

Been rock solid at 68%

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I know this thread is a few years old but just thought I would share my "hydration station". I have three coolers that have 3 Boveda packs in each and I rotate them out so that two are in each cooler and one is in the charging unit.

The recharging station is simply a Louis Rich turkey container half full of distilled water inside a zip lock Tupperware. I leave it sealed up for two weeks and rotate them out.

On the rare occasion I have to replace a Boveda because it seems leaking or stained, but for the most part it's been the same Boveda packs for 2 years now.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426118920.416811.jpg

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I know this thread is a few years old but just thought I would share my "hydration station". I have three coolers that have 3 Boveda packs in each and I rotate them out so that two are in each cooler and one is in the charging unit.

The recharging station is simply a Louis Rich turkey container half full of distilled water inside a zip lock Tupperware. I leave it sealed up for two weeks and rotate them out.

On the rare occasion I have to replace a Boveda because it seems leaking or stained, but for the most part it's been the same Boveda packs for 2 years now.

View attachment 60209
That's my problem. I was using a ham container. :)

I went the simpler route and just put my used bovedas on top of my beads after spraying the bead a bit. Beads are in wedding party favor bags.

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
That's my problem. I was using a ham container. :)

I went the simpler route and just put my used bovedas on top of my beads after spraying the bead a bit. Beads are in wedding party favor bags.
For a brief second i thought you said "beads were a wedding favor". Man, that would be great. Im gonna try this tonight since i see some of you are using the take along zip lock containers. I have those that are bigger than the tupperware containers i own.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was interested in these but the hassle of trying to rehydrate them vs. the amazing long life and stability of beads has me continuing to use beads. Mine are from cheaphumidor.com, stable at 70% (I understand Heartfelt has lower RH beads if that's your preference), and going on 15 years old.

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Recently I noticed one of my rehydrated boveda packs that I had in storage had the salt crystals forming on the outside of the pack (I initially thought white mold). Has anyone ever experienced this, or know how this happens and what to do to avoid this? I've only seen one that this happened to and this has now been trashed.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It's come up in several threads whether or not Bovedas can be brought back to life once they dry out. I'm not sure if you're "supposed" to or not and the Boveda website mentions nothing about it (that I can find). However, I've been doing it for about a year and a half now and I know others have been doing it longer with no ill effects to the humidity regulating properties of the Boveda pack. So here's how I do it...

What you'll need:

You'll need something airtight to revive the Bovedas in. I use a plastic canister. You may also use a Tupperware or similar container. The biggest concern is that it is airtight. One or more shot glasses or similar container. A couple paper towels. Distilled water. Desiccated Bovedas.

Step one:

Fold up the paper towels and stuff them in the shot glasses. I fold mine so that they fan out a little. This increases the surface area for the water to evaporate from and I've found it speeds up the process versus just filling a shot glass with water.

Step two:

Fill shot glasses with water and allow paper towels to soak it up. Then top it off (careful not to get too close to the top though or it'll spill easily).

Step three:

Place shot glasses in airtight container with Bovedas. Let it sit until they're squishy again. Different RH will require a shorter or longer time to rehydrate. I toss different RH in together, the lower RH will be done first (i.e. 65% before 70%).

Once they're completely squishy, use 'em or put 'em in a plastic bag (I prefer freezer bags with the double seal and double bag, but maybe I'm paranoid) until you need them. Works best if you have a cycle where some are hydrating while you're using the others.

Hope that helps everyone with questions about this. If anyone does it different or has some other tips they'd like to share, fire away!

Edit 11/27/2013: After a few incidents of our cats getting into the spare room and knocking the rehydration chamber off the bookshelf I decided to try something new. I put some kitty litter (the same kind used to regulate humidity in humidors) in a panty hoe and drenched the kitty litter with distilled water. Put that in the chamber with the Bovedas and it works great...plus no mess. Now I'm considering working in some kind of false bottom to fill with kitty litter, but this may be overkill...still mulling it over.

Dan
Life saver right there. I have thrown most of mine out once they're dried up. I will never do that again!

Lonestar7

Taking it easy...
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who recharge their Boveda packs - what do you use in the interim? A second set? If so, then how do you store the "temp" set when replacing with the newly charged packs?

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
For those who recharge their Boveda packs - what do you use in the interim? A second set? If so, then how do you store the "temp" set when replacing with the newly charged packs?
I have beads and bovedas in the wino. In theory, beads supply humidity and boveda controls the RH. In reality, beads serves only when I charge the bovedas, as I put DW in them when pulling dried out packs...

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wow gonna give this a go, for some reason I imagined recharging bovedas a tedious task involving opening the packet or something...but no, it's actually so simple lol

TNTGOLFER

Army Ranger and LEO
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put two small bovedas in a Tupperware and it's actually working...

Good thread.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I do: Maybe someone finds it useful:
I have 4 large Boveda 69% packs. I use 1 in each of 2 desktop humidors; the other 2 are recharging in an air-tight waterproof plastic food container. When the Boveda packs in the humidors start to feel crunchy, I swap them out for the recharged versions. I put the crunchy ones back in the food container, add about 1/4 cup de-ionized or distilled water, and close it up. That's it. It takes about 20 seconds every 3-4 weeks. You can add liquid water directly onto the Boveda packs - it does them no harm (that I can see) and they recharge in a day or two. No fuss - easy peasy; I find no need for small water containers, paper towel wicks, sacred prayers, or anything like that.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C9belayer: Are you putting the 1/4 cup water directly into the large containers and the packs directly into the water? Or are you putting a second container into a larger one to hold the water?