What's new

Revolvers?

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
As long as I'm thinking about it....
Looking to get a carry postol for my wife. We have been considering j frames etc. I know very little about them from a carry stand point. She would carry on body. She is also a stay at home mom. I am VERY familiar with striker fire pistols, only looking for revolver input.

Stupid Tapatalk
Have you considered a striker fired pistol? :finger::)

The long heavy trigger pull is the reason I've been looking at them. Don't believe in safeties for carry.

Stupid Tapatalk
Forgot to mention that my wife shoots a few hundred a month. Also shoots lots of shotgun goose hunting. Was considering revolvers for long hard trigger pull and conceal ability in yoga pants LOL

Stupid Tapatalk
Don't believe in .380, nothing personal. We live in MN and in the winter people have on layers of leather etc. don't believe in carrying round nose for defense either. I've seen to many ballistic things that show .380 not getting through bone after layers of heavy coats

Stupid Tapatalk
Get her a Glock 43 & a quality iwb holster. For concealed carry, snub nose revolvers are for old men & coat pockets!!!

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I have a pretty large collection and I was associated with the Antique Arms show here in Las Vegas for quite some years, and I have watched the prices climb every year on just about everything, but Colts and Winchesters are my passion.

There was a Ruger collector from Arizona named Lynn Laudise that passed away about ten years ago that really got me up to speed on collectible Rugers.
I recently picked up a first-year Single Six for a buddy of mine up in Seattle. The particular gun is a super nice shooter that was picked up for far less than the really high current price of a new Ruger. You should run the serial numbers of you two Rugers and check out how old they are. As far as getting a Blackhawk in .357 Magnum, I as an old guy would steer you into .45 Colt, or " Long Colt" because it makes bigger holes. LOL
Cheers,
Marc
If I got one it would be just to have & shoot occasionally. I wouldn't be using it for defense or anything, I have other guns for that. It would just be a range gun & I'd like to be able to have the option of shooting 38 special out of it since I already have a few of those around. Save from having to buy another size of ammo. I've never really researched into my Rugers. I have had a few people tell me that the single six is "one of the old ones". Something about it clicks four times when you pull the hammer back. I may run the numbers & see next time I have um out of the safe.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as I'm thinking about it....
Looking to get a carry postol for my wife. We have been considering j frames etc. I know very little about them from a carry stand point. She would carry on body. She is also a stay at home mom. I am VERY familiar with striker fire pistols, only looking for revolver input.

Stupid Tapatalk
Nothing beats a J-frame S&W in my opinion as a carry gun, especially in a purse. Try to find a nice older one that is much higher quality IMHO than current manufacture. The J-frames come in a variety of flavors but I don't think you can beat a model 36 or 60 unless weight is an issue.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I got one it would be just to have & shoot occasionally. I wouldn't be using it for defense or anything, I have other guns for that. It would just be a range gun & I'd like to be able to have the option of shooting 38 special out of it since I already have a few of those around. Save from having to buy another size of ammo. I've never really researched into my Rugers. I have had a few people tell me that the single six is "one of the old ones". Something about it clicks four times when you pull the hammer back. I may run the numbers & see next time I have um out of the safe.
I just like bigger holes. Shooting lead .38 specials for cheap shooting in a .357 will lead to lead fouling rings at the forward end of the chambers. .45 Colt is pretty cheap to shoot with factory ammo, and very cheap to shoot if you reload.

Regarding your Ruger Single-Six, you should run the numbers if only just for fun. The addition of a transfer bar in the action splits the really early ones from the more modern. Here is a link I sent my buddy regarding the Single-Six.
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2018/1/17/i-have-this-old-gun-ruger-old-model-single-six/

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Have you considered a striker fired pistol? :finger::)

Get her a Glock 43 & a quality iwb holster. For concealed carry, snub nose revolvers are for old men & coat pockets!!!
Yes. But I was asking about revolvers and j frames. Really digging the Sig P365 if she goes striker fired.

Stupid Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
If you are thinking about the Sig Sauer 365, I would redirect you towards the HK VP9SK or the P30SK. The HKs cost a little more than the Sig Sauer 365 but IMHO you get what you pay for. https://hk-usa.com/product/pistols/
That's a great pistol. I have carried one daily since they were born. But again looking for on body carry pistol for a wife who wears yoga pants

Stupid Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great pistol. I have carried one daily since they were born. But again looking for on body carry pistol for a wife who wears yoga pants

Stupid Tapatalk
The SK Hks are pretty small. If you want a "Yoga Pants" carry gun you can't beat the Seecamp .32. I have carried one as a backup on my ankle for 30 years and my better half has had one in her purse or pocket for the same amount of time to back up her HK P7 M8.Seecamp.JPG

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Oh. I thought I covered that!!!:) They are for old men & coat pockets.:)

That's a good looking gun, but I don't have any experience with them so can't vouch for um.
They had 2 recalls after a delayed launch. Shame on Sig after the drop safe deal on the 320 last year. Supposedly all fixed and have heard nothing but good things since. Thin as a single stack but it's a double. Smallest 10 round on the market. But my wife has a 4yr and 2 yr old climbing on her all day which is why there is the allure of a revolver with long trigger pull. The wife would carry in a hard side holster with 100% trigger cover and good retention but I like to minimize the chance of negligent discharge as much as possible. Fire arms with thumb safeties are not an option, too much to worry about god forbid you need to use your pistol

Stupid Tapatalk

Pennywise827

Hot Ketchup
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I've never been a huge revolver guy, generally focus on mag fed stuff, but I've strongly lusted for a nickel model 27 classic ever since I saw a pic of one, and I've always wanted a big frame like a Redhawk or something. And I feel the need for a 686...
Currently just have my wifes grandmother's NY state police or fbi model 13
View attachment 125841
And this circuit judge I got a ridiculous deal off the broker a few years ago for a varmint gun for the wife. Not sure what the story on the really nice wood is. Every other I've seen has really plain wood.
View attachment 125842

Such a great gun though, really comfortable to shoulder and great feel and natural aim.
That is a Rossi...used to be able to pick those up for under 400 at Walmart...great varmint gun!
I have shot a couple of Taurus Judges and both were wildly inaccurate for some reason. Using 45 or 410 loads made little to no difference. I suggest you shoot one for yourself before buying.
Its why I went with the Governor. S&W frame anf grip are sooo much better than the Taurus...plus you can shoot 45ACP out of it as well as 45LC and 410.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
That is a Rossi...used to be able to pick those up for under 400 at Walmart...great varmint gun!
Yep! But I got it for something silly, like $250 on gbroker auction. The quarter sawn woodgrain is so pretty, it really should have gone much higher than retail considering what they normally come with.
It's already dispatched a couple of copperheads that were much too close to the house..

Pennywise827

Hot Ketchup
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
So there was some issues with a few, at the end of production you could get them for 200 at Wally world...that isnt to say yours reflects that, its just Taurus got a bad name, and it effected the Rossi's. I always kick myself for passing it up when I saw it for 200 hunnit...

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
They had 2 recalls after a delayed launch. Shame on Sig after the drop safe deal on the 320 last year. Supposedly all fixed and have heard nothing but good things since. Thin as a single stack but it's a double. Smallest 10 round on the market. But my wife has a 4yr and 2 yr old climbing on her all day which is why there is the allure of a revolver with long trigger pull. The wife would carry in a hard side holster with 100% trigger cover and good retention but I like to minimize the chance of negligent discharge as much as possible. Fire arms with thumb safeties are not an option, too much to worry about god forbid you need to use your pistol

Stupid Tapatalk
I have a couple of S&W air weights & a couple taurus 38s stashed in several places around the house & one on my Mule. So I can speak on them. Do they kick? Yes. Are they loud? Yes Is the grip uncomfortable? Actually not to bad for me, but my hands aren't that big. Are they accurate? For what they're designed for, like within 21 feet & usually closer & possibly point shooting at those distances, yes. Are the comfortable to carry iwb? No not really. Is the trigger pull longer? Yes. Would I recommend one over a quality auto designed for concealed carry? No.

That being said, if the time comes that you have to fight for your life you won't notice things like noise, recoil, & comfort. At most self defense ranges, you'll end up point shooting so practice it at those ranges, & when your adrenaline is up, a 10 pound trigger might as well be a three pound trigger.

Last edited:

Pennywise827

Hot Ketchup
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I have a couple of S&W air weights & a couple taurus 38s stashed in several places around the house & one on my Mule. So I can speak on them. Do they kick? Yes. Are they loud? Yes Is the grip uncomfortable? Actually not to bad for me, but my hands aren't that big. Are they accurate? For what they're designed for, like within 21 feet & usually closer & possibly point shooting at those distances, yes. Are the comfortable to carry iwb? No not really. Is the trigger pull longer? Yes. Would I recommend one over a quality auto designed for concealed carry? No.

That being said, if the time comes that you have to fight for your life you won't notice things like noise, recoil, & comfort. At most self defense ranges, you'll end up point shooting, & when your adrenaline is up, a 10 pound trigger might as well be a three pound trigger.
True...but difference is that 1st shot....on a lighter trigger, your more likely to hit your target if your not using that extra force that will pull you offline...its why I always carry condition one...hammer back, safety on.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
on a lighter trigger, your more likely to hit your target if your not using that extra force that will pull you offline
You really can't argue with science or physics. That's why I put so much value into training with what you'll be carrying. I've seen many of guys with the lightest triggers, reflex optics, custom grips & slide serrations, etc. be embarrassingly out shot by less superior weapons because they didn't train & practice like the guy with the stock pistol did.