What's new

Scumbag Warning

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Jwrussell said:
The warning is appreciated Mark, thanks! :thumbsup:

The "CigarWeakly" crap you can leave at the door IMO. There's no reason to turn this into a board bash. You want to bitch about another site, find somewhere else to do it please.
I totally agree with that Jason. There is a certain "other" site that those two members frequent that I don't anymore because of all the bashing. I won't mention the name, because that would make me a hypocrite.

I'm just glad Rob gave me cards with the BOTL logo after I traded with him from the "other" site. Couldn't be happier since I've come here.

Thanks for making this such a friendly place guys! It's a breath of fresh air!

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
DWavs said:
Appreciate the heads up.

As Jason stated, the board bashing will not be condoned on this site. You are more than welcome to have whatever feelings you have towards other cigar boards but we will not allow members to talk trash about other sites.

That's the beauty of the internet. If you don't like the way a place is run, find another place to hang out. No need in "walking" around bitching about it.
Thanks Dave.

dmoby

Boli Whore
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Jwrussell said:
The warning is appreciated Mark, thanks! :thumbsup:

The "CigarWeakly" crap you can leave at the door IMO. There's no reason to turn this into a board bash. You want to bitch about another site, find somewhere else to do it please.
Harris-(master,CF Mod)- just used to the trash talking that CF always throws around..

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I dunno about this issue/topic. I think we should take it as a warning and be a little more cautious about our dealings with the new guys (Not overly cautios though). I would really hate to see this issue sway the content of BOTL...even if it's only in this thread.

That reads a little cheesy...but I think you guys get my drift.

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
While I think it is important that we welcome the new guys with open arms, I think we should be cautious. I dont think "we" have anything to prove to the new guys.
Maybe we should be more selective as to who we take under our wings.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
That's always the great dilema isn't it John? We have, relatively, so little to go on in this online world when dealing with a "noob". We all enjoy spreading the brotherhood and wouldn't be ourselves if we were constantly paranoid about the new folks, but I dare say each of us that has been around for a while has gotten taken in one way or another by a "new guy". Thankfully it's fairly few and far between.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
What drew me to this site was the fact you were so welcoming to the new guy. I wasn't told to sit quietly and watch the grown up talk amongst themselves - so to speak. We can be cautious of new people, but not to the point of "it's new and therefore frightening and I will have no part of it" type of cautious. When people show you who they are, believe them. This guy was a mooch from day one from what I have read.

My $.02

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
So far...I've given out 2 cards. Jason(MichiganM) and the guy I'm in a group buy with. I'm really selective about who I let know about BOTL.

Is that bad?

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I agree we cant let paranoia affect us and make us stop from sharing information and ideas. BUT>>> we must be cautious when possible.
I want the new guys that are interested in learning to look at this place as an open book on cigars, food, drink and many other interests.

As this place gets bigger with more people joining, we wil have a larger presence on the internet. as that happens more people will find us. As more people find us almost all of them will be good regular people like us. Some will be rip-off artist assholes, that is just the way it is.

By making smart choices when I comes to information, you can protect yourself, this board and in the end...all of the brotherhood.

That is a lot of responsibility.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
IndyRob: No, it's not.
Prometheus and Caudio51: both of you are kind of on the same page, and completely correct. I hope never to see that mentality you mention on this board Prometheus.
John: well put as usual.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
indyrob said:
So far...I've given out 2 cards. Jason(MichiganM) and the guy I'm in a group buy with. I'm really selective about who I let know about BOTL.

Is that bad?
It's not bad but may be futile...just check out Google.

Obviously you're not going to tell any trouble-makers from other boards to come over...just be smart about it.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Interesting dilemma. I am fairly new to this board but you guys have all been great. The referral came from a website that I can't remember now other than it said a new site dedicated to lovers of the leaf. Didn't realize until I saw this post that there could be issues. Kinda sad.

From the new guy, thanks for being open.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
HTML:
Wasch_24 said:
It's not bad but may be futile...just check out Google.

Obviously you're not going to tell any trouble-makers from other boards to come over...just be smart about it.
Yep, you can't escape the spiders! :eyequiver