What's new

Scumbag Warning

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
PRETTY sure his irritation is at the "scumbag" folks. Beyond that, yeah, I think you've misjudged this thread and this group of people (this board) in particular Taltos. Whatever respect, reputation, etc. you have earned in the real world is just that: in the real world. It takes a certain leap of faith to get involved in anything on the web as you are almost always dealing with a certain amount of uncertainty and unkowns. This whole issue is more of a reminder to people that such uncertainties and unknowns exist with everyone you deal with, not just newbies.

I certainly understand, to a point, what you are saying, but I don't understand why you feel this board is less "newbie-friendly" than any other.

It's your decision on how much you participate anywhere, but it concerns me that you believe this site warrants a hands-off approach as far as trades, etc. is concerned.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Alrighty...he is my dopey opinion.

After reading all the threads, I am fairly confident that everyone is actaully in agreement on the fundamentals and some slight miscommunication may have occurred (that would be a first for online posts LOL!)

BOTL is VERY accepting of "newbies". You would be tough pressed to find a great group of guys who are less opposed to accepting new people as the members of BOTL.

The ONLY area where caution is expressed (and to be honest, it has always been) is in the areas of trading with new guys. It is VERY typical for someone new to ANY board to send their end of a deal first. Most of us have been on many boards and this is just standard operating procedure - it's not personal, how can it be when someone doesn't know you?

I believe that Taltos was indeed referring to the person who was the subject of the inital post. I can't imagine anyone saying calling JT a jerf, Todd? definitely but not JT.

But I digress...the acceptance of new members isn't dependent upon a boards willingness to immediately accept trades/deals with them, it should be based on their embracing of the new members and directing them along the board - not about what their are will to buy, sell or trade - that's all secondary to being a "true" botl.

Just my $.02

~M

taltos

token irishman
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wrong to spout off as I did, the "jerk" was not directed at a long respected member of the board, but at the moron who caused the "scumbag warning". I guess that my main point is that I miss the innocence of a group like ASC on usenet that took people at their face value the day they joined and went on from there. I am sorry and will continue to read the group and will try to work myself back into your good graces. I was quite graciously welcomed into the intro and military sections. Once again, sorry and I was wrong. Paul

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
taltos said:
I was wrong to spout off as I did, the "jerk" was not directed at a long respected member of the board, but at the moron who caused the "scumbag warning". I guess that my main point is that I miss the innocence of a group like ASC on usenet that took people at their face value the day they joined and went on from there. I am sorry and will continue to read the group and will try to work myself back into your good graces. I was quite graciously welcomed into the intro and military sections. Once again, sorry and I was wrong. Paul
You will not find a better, friendlier, more trustworthy, group of cigar enthusiast's anywhere, thus the reason you were jumped on so aggressively and quickly. If you are truly interested in learning about, sharing, trading, and obtaining cigars, then this is the place to be. Join in, you are welcomed with open arms and are trusted until given a reason not to be.

taltos

token irishman
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ohpus said:
Welcome back!!! Now send us all a good faith cigar!!! LOL
To show my remorse, how many of the T**** words do you want? Seriously, was wrong and am sorry. Paul

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Glad to see I was wrong and I'm also glad you explained yourself taltos. I apologize for jumping on you like I did...but I defend this board till the end.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
I've been following this thread for awhile and just caught back up. I can somewhat see a little of Taltos' point. Bear with me for a second.

I was turned onto this site and a few others by a great BOTL here. After having lurked a few and joined a couple, I was most impressed by this one. It's not so huge as to be intimidating, but large enough to provide a great amount of info with a tight sense of community.

First off, I also believe that Taltos wasn’t referring to Tripp. I may be wrong, but it didn’t seem like he had it out for John. Taltos may feel more comfortable on the site(s) he’s familiar with. I wasn’t established anywhere else and didn’t have to deal with the whole “new kid on the block” issue except that I was and accepted it. What I think that he missed was that this is a really friendly, newbie accepting, very open forum and everyone is VERY protective of that. I’m new and was pissed to hear that some :ahole: may be p*ssing around in here. Can only imagine what you more established members where feeling. :argh: :argh:

So, for me, I give the scumbag the finger :angerFU: , Tripp and the rest of the FOGs respect :youarethe , the active Newbies a :thumbsup: , and Taltos the benefit of the doubt:dunno: . If he gives this group a chance, I have no doubt he’ll see things differently and hope he does. Send your end first on the first couple of trades? Why not? Hell, I did and the return package was far more generous than I thought necessary. And I returned the favor when I traded. No problem. That’s the way of this group, you show an interest and some trust and you won’t be disappointed.

Hell, you all made me feel comfortable enought to pack up a box of cigars and send it around the country!

I appreciate the heads up on the Scumbag alert and I also appreciate the vigilance to maintain the excellent atmosphere you all have created.

Group hug has now been terminated, I return you to your active thread now in progress......

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Yes definitely don't judge a book by its cover and I'm glad you explained yourself :thumbsup:

Man we haven't seen this much action since the cell phone hit the wall :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
taltos said:
To show my remorse, how many of the T**** words do you want? Seriously, was wrong and am sorry. Paul
Hey Brother, that post was a sincere, glad you cleared the air, welcome back post with a hint of sarcasm! I was just givin ya some shit!!!! But, on a side not what are the T**** words?????? :agreesmil

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
serious!!! I can be a bit dense at times!!! :scratchhe What are the T**** words. :dunno: Can some one fill in the blanks for me???? Thanks in advance!!!!!