What's new

Scumbag Warning

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
This guy sounds an awful lot like gamelover2004 who is from the same area and pulled the same shit about a year or so ago.
Coincidence? same guy? an associate?

Thanks for the heads up, Mark.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DWavs said:
That's the beauty of the internet. If you don't like the way a place is run, find another place to hang out. No need in "walking" around bitching about it.
That pretty much sums up the whole thing. I hate seeing new ( or any guys for that matter) guys do stuff taht is just plain wrong, because if I am a new guy to "A" board ( and I do consider myself new here) it gives us all a black eye:argh:

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My thoughts exactly. Its a matter of time which builds trust. Too many aholes out there who have no morals or values who continue to rip people off and when they are found out, they move to the next board.
Thanks for the heads up.

taltos

token irishman
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tripp said:
While I think it is important that we welcome the new guys with open arms, I think we should be cautious. I dont think "we" have anything to prove to the new guys.
Maybe we should be more selective as to who we take under our wings.
While I agree that caution is well advised, perhaps some of the more recent new folks are afraid to attempt to participate in certain functions, such as trades or passes on this board because of whatever we have proven in the real world, as far as our honor is, we do not want to have to deal with this initial distrust. Paul

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
taltos said:
While I agree that caution is well advised, perhaps some of the more recent new folks are afraid to attempt to participate in certain functions, such as trades or passes on this board because of whatever we have proven in the real world, as far as our honor is, we do not want to have to deal with this initial distrust. Paul
This board has a great Newbie attaction. It has abundent newbie stuff to get involved with and get your feet wet.

We are in the middle of Newbie Pass II and its a monster. Newbie Pass I was equally good. You can find another thread that (The BOTL Newbie Sampler Thread) that puts guys with some time on the board with newbies for trades. There are lots of ways to get involved without a direct one on one trade to start. Shoot. You want to show people who you are, launch a few scuds at random. This is a primary example of you get what you put into it.

I got on this board in February and haven't had this much fun with a group on line since we created the first e-mail program at Digital Equipment back in the 80's.
2 cents.

taltos

token irishman
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CWS, first of all, after reading this thread I was irritated at the jerk that generated distrust of newbies. This group has been very welcoming to me, but my point,not very well written, was taken by me, to avoid newbies because we might be dangerous. I have cigars coming in Monday(ordered from California), and would send first, but I don't feel comfortable anymore after reading the rest of this thread. I can tell you that the only time I got screwed on ebay and on a pipe group back in the bays of bbs systems were by more experienced folks, not by newbies. I will continue to read this group, but post and trade in others. Paul

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
taltos said:
CWS, first of all, after reading this thread I was irritated at the jerk that generated distrust of newbies. This group has been very welcoming to me, but my point,not very well written, was taken by me, to avoid newbies because we might be dangerous. I have cigars coming in Monday(ordered from California), and would send first, but I don't feel comfortable anymore after reading the rest of this thread. I can tell you that the only time I got screwed on ebay and on a pipe group back in the bays of bbs systems were by more experienced folks, not by newbies. I will continue to read this group, but post and trade in others. Paul
If you are refering to Tripp and his post, that "jerk" is one of THE most respected members of this or any other board and to use such a term before getting to know people or the attitudes of this board indicates to me he was exactly correct in his thinking!
I was not going to reply as I normally shy away from things like this (it doesn't happen here much either) but I couldn't let this one go.

Added: I may be off base if you are referring to the scumbag as the jerk and not Tripp. If so, disregard my comment.

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
taltos said:
I will continue to read this group, but post and trade in others. Paul
Not sure I understand this part, the 'scumbag' in question is not a part of this forum. I can only recall 1 time when members got screwed, but that was several boards wide and by a non-newbie.

This board is pretty small and intimate, if anywhere, this would be one of the safest places to trade.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
taltos said:
You've made 8 posts...and just joined. And now you're complaining about one of the best BOTL's on here and what he said?? If you don't like the board then don't join. It seems to me that you joined just to spout off. Very distasteful...and one of the reasons he posted his caution of newbies. Your statments just make his post more correct. I have disliked MANY cigar boards here on the internet, and have definitely found this board to me the MOST accomodating of any board out there, period. Just my .02. If I have you pegged wrong, my sincere apologies.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Whoa Paul (Taltos) you need to slow your roll man.

With an attitude like that you aren't going to have to worry much about participating at any level on this board.

You are creating more distrust for yourself than anyone else could if they even wanted to.

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Before we jump to any conclusions, I think the "jerk" taltos is referring to is tmj5019, the reason this thread started, and not Tripp (at least i hope).

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Poni said:
Before we jump to any conclusions, I think the "jerk" taltos is referring to is tmj5019, the reason this thread started, and not Tripp (at least i hope).
That's a good point but he needs to clarify a lot more then that...the warning was posted on just about every board that allows such a thing so why is he not going to participate here when the treachery wasn't performed here?

Make sure you read his whole post and this one on the previous page.

taltos said:

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Hmm, the way his posts are written it seems to me he wants to trade and post in others and not here is because Tripp's post made him feel uncomfortable being a newbie like he is. He know feels like he's viewed as a rip off artist when nobody accused him of such...and he's trying to point out older members as people who ripped him off. I can see his point of feeling uncomfortable, but there are ways to get out of that shell without making that kind of post about it. Again, if that's my misunderstanding I apologize.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
smokem94 said:
Added: I may be off base if you are referring to the scumbag as the jerk and not Tripp. If so, disregard my comment.
Yeah, I think he was referring to the "Scumbag" as the jerk here.

And what I think he was trying to say, and not so eloquantly, was that in this thread there was an inferred distrust of newbies. Obviously he has not done his homework as this site, in my experience, shows more trust and affection towards noobs than anywhere I have visited.

I believe he has misjudged this thread in general and the site as a whole.

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
Taltos!!! WTF????? The fact that you are getting defensive about a topic that was not directed at you specifically speaks volumes!!!! Trades are done based on honor and honor is proven through actions. Ya think a bank will give you money because you look good? Will the grocery store allow you to write them a IOU if you left your wallet at home? or even at the gas station!!! Hell no, unless you have a relationship and proven your self to the people that make those decisions. So, why are you offended because you may need to send your end first on an initial trade on this or any other board?

WHY WHY WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
fredneck said:
I believe he has misjudged this thread in general and the site as a whole.
I agree. I hope he re-thinks his views on this site...as another good member to BOTL is always a positive thing in my eyes!! But not every board is for everyone....I just feel this is the best group of guys out there.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
ohpus said:
So, why are you offended because you may need to send your end first on an initial trade on this or any other board?

QUOTE]

Yeah I didn't get that either. I think he has some growing up to do and he needs to figure some things out. Perhaps then, he will be ready to give BOTL another shot. He needs some retrospect.

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
I will continue to read this group, but post and trade in others. Paul[/quote]

What a crock o" shiit that is! Are you, or are you not a friend? Do you think we will want to interact with you, or take your opinions seriously if that's what you think of us?