What's new

Show us your latest leaf purchase

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I have gotten more proficient with my rolls, I have seen some of the mistakes I made early on. Things such as ordering too much variety, not knowing what I was ordering, etc. I feel that I am at the point that I have found a binder and wrapper that I am comfortable using and that I understand the flavor profile, LO Ecu Seco. After wrapping some 50-60 sticks using the Ecu with Dom PC filler, I decided to try and understand how the tobacco from different regions and strains taste. Thus I placed an order for samplers from most of the individual countries represented on LO.

My plan is to roll sticks consisting of A blend of the viso, seco, and ligero from each country. I’m hoping that being able to try sticks back to back, while limiting the variables (eg. same binder and wrapper), I will gain confidence to order full pounds from WLT. B6D42B5E-047C-441C-A242-20F70840DB76.jpeg

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@Castrol,
I've been at this home roll business beginning late last July and only just now starting to understand some interplay of cigar leaf. It's probably a never ending journey.
At last estimate I'm at around a thousand sticks rolled. Most were trashed, some given away, many in storage at the moment. Some of those in storage will be trashed as they suck.
Of the many things I've learned so far, if the leaf sucks (for you) there isn't much you can do to hide it. That's been my experience anyway. I liken the using of crap-leaf to trying to hide venison behind lots of onion and pepper... ya still know it's there. Then again, what I think is crap leaf many others like. Take Olar for example, I don't like it and I'm not alone in that opinion. I did a search for cigars with Olor and some of the reviews have expressed the same opinion as do I... unpleasant aftertaste. So far the only Honduran leaf I like is the ligero. I like it very, very well. Many folks like the viso, but not me.

Enjoy the journey. I'm still mixing and matching different leaf, which is really a lot of fun. I'm making more winner blends now than losers now. What I need to do is stop dicking around with blends and start rolling a bunch of the ones I really like. Perhaps I'm obsessed but I'll lay awake at night sometimes and think of leaf combinations and ratios that might be good to try. I'll jot it down, make one or two the next day and try them the day after.

Often times I believe I should be doing something more productive with my time than thinking about and rolling cigars. o_O

Last edited:

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
View attachment 112333
WLT - a pound each of the Nic rosado wrapper, candela wrapper, and T-13 viso. Think I am going to try a barber pole wrap.
I'm curious how you like the candela wrapper.
I've not liked the sticks (not home-rolls mind you) with candela wrapper that I've smoked previously.
It does look really nice, though.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm curious how you like the candela wrapper.
I've not liked the sticks (not home-rolls mind you) with candela wrapper that I've smoked previously.
It does look really nice, though.
will roll a couple this weekend and let you know. Reviews I have seen so far are saying it's neutral in flavor. Like you said, it looks really nice and the leaves are a nice size. Although, the rosado looks even better.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Did you get a chance to try out the new leaf?
20180421_155039.jpg 20180421_162530.jpg
I did. Was worried when I opened the bag as it does not smell like tobacco. It smells like it belongs in your spice cabinet with the herbs. Maybe sage and wet grass? However, it was a pleasure to wrap with it. Thin and stretchy - the best I have used so far. Burned well and flavor was a hint of grass. I will be keeping candela in the rotation.