What's new

the neophyte piper diary

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are hilarious!

I really hope you come to enjoy the pipe as much as CVAC085 and I have Avvatar . Like CVA says, it's nothing like cigar smoking, but I am really liking it.

If either of you guys want to try any of the tobacco's I have purchased, please don't hesitate to ask. I am sampling as I am sure you are too.

EDIT - @ChiefIlliniwek are you going to give the pipe a try? Or are you still on the fence?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I just have to say this - I don't know if it's the "new car smell" or what, but dang it... I find pipe smoking incredibly relaxing!

I am having a tough day. Normally I would not smoke as it's just a waist of tobacco (in cigar form anyway). But I lit up a bowl over lunch, and after the first five minutes, I began to calm. Wild.

Ok - that's that.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Well I thought I would do a little update on the pipe. My Savinelli.

I have smoked four bowls (I think - it might be 5) - and it was time to clean it. My last bowl began to gurgle... but just a bit. Not sure if it was the tobacco, me not letting the pipe rest long enough or what, but it was the first time it displayed even a hint of the dreaded gurgle lol. That said - not even a hint of that which gives you the dreaded bite even remotely got through the filter (even with the last bowl's final third burning rather hot).

First I would like to speak to the balsa filter. If you jam it into the bit that goes into your mouth all the way (the black piece on the right), you'll really reduce the draw (Not good). But that's not a problem - I place it in just a touch, and then assemble. As it closes, it goes in as deep as it needs to pushing off the bowl section - this works like a charm and doesn't restrict airflow at all.

Second - I wasn't sure how the balsa would work. As I took the pipe apart and pulled it out, I note it was really moist and "squishy." It felt like a sponge. Smells like shi... like pure tar. But clearly this little piece of wood works like a freaking charm!! Like I said, today was the first hint of the pipe getting moist at all - well pleased.

The other thing was - it must work as there was practically nothing on my pipe cleaner from the area behind it toward the mouth area. Cool!

Finally - with respect to the balsa, though I haven't tried this pipe without it, I noted right away as compared to my other pipe (smoking the same blend), that it indeed does mute the flavour. Even if marginally. That said, until I get more pipes and/or get to smoking more slowly, I'll gladly forgo that bit of flavour in order to prevent bite (yeah - I might be a bit "bite" neurotic - but its a real buzz kill).

The pipe is small. You can't help but feel like you are smoking some kind of drug pipe (not that I would know lol). But I love the size. I placed one of those rubber nibs on it, and I can clinch it like a champ as I drive my standard car. Sure it's small and pocketable, but not once has any smoke ever blown into my face, or the tobacco seemed hot... and no, it hasn't warmed up my nose either lol.

I am really happy with my little pipe. And it is little.

So what does a guy who likes his little pipe do? Get an even smaller one of course! LOL - I jest not.

I was surfing all things pipe, when I stumbled onto Pipes & Cigar and noted they sold Villiger pipe tobacco! Well, I am a huge fan of Villiger, so I got some, but then I saw that they were selling a starter set that included the little ~ 3.5 Big Ben Pipo for $39.99 also.

Yeah - I ordered it lol.

It doesn't have a filter unfortunately, but at this price - whatever. If I have my history right, this is the pipe that put Big Ben back on the Map after WWII even though the owner hated the design (I can't imagine clenching this one as effectively as my Savinelli - but we'll see).

I'll let you know how it smokes lol. :).

Thanks for reading!
That Pipo is nice. I have the one just a touch bigger, the Ranger, and they're a great line of pipes.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of these days might just drop in a filter just to see the difference
I would be interested to hear your take.

As for the Big Ben's - I have two on the way. What can I say. If you're not Dutch, you're not much lol.

I was thinking about it today. All three pipes I have purchased are all small pipes. Nose warmers. I really want a poker with a half decent bowl. It'll probably be the Drew... but who knows :).

Rating - 100%
29   0   0

As for the Big Ben's - I have two on the way. What can I say. If you're not Dutch, you're not much lol.

I was thinking about it today. All three pipes I have purchased are all small pipes. Nose warmers. I really want a poker with a half decent bowl. It'll probably be the Drew... but who knows :).
You should get that Drew pipe.....it's really nice and would be nice to add to your growing pipe collection.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0

One I was gifted from Grrrrr! Now this has one hell of a bowl, I can fit several full flakes in it it I want

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
EDIT - @ChiefIlliniwek are you going to give the pipe a try? Or are you still on the fence?
What's up brother? I haven't been very active around here lately, and I just got caught up with this thread over my lunch. I'm happy to report that I signed up for the Noob pipe sampler. I just sent my end out yesterday. I'm pretty excited and nervous to see how this turns out. My wife wasn't exactly thrilled about the idea of me smoking a pipe when I brought it up. She tolerates my cigars, but that's taken some time to get her used to it. We shall see.....

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up brother? I haven't been very active around here lately, and I just got caught up with this thread over my lunch. I'm happy to report that I signed up for the Noob pipe sampler. I just sent my end out yesterday. I'm pretty excited and nervous to see how this turns out. My wife wasn't exactly thrilled about the idea of me smoking a pipe when I brought it up. She tolerates my cigars, but that's taken some time to get her used to it. We shall see.....
I saw you had participated on the new pipe ampler thread. Super cool. I really hope you enjoy it!

How to reason the pipe to your significant other:
  • It's cheaper hon! Way cheaper!
  • You know that time you needed me and I said no because I was smoking a stick - well that's not how it works with a pipe
Then if you really want to stretch it out:
  • The thing about pipes is hon, I need your to help participate. With pipes they have this thing call room taste. You need to be my judge so that'll I only smoke shit you like
  • At least they can bury me with my pipe!
  • Next winter, you can hold my pipe to keep your hands warm

Ok well, you get the picture lol.

Welcome to the fold! :) Good luck and keep us posted!!