What's new

the neophyte piper diary

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I was surfing all things pipe, when I stumbled onto Pipes & Cigar and noted they sold Villiger pipe tobacco! Well, I am a huge fan of Villiger, so I got some, but then I saw that they were selling a starter set that included the little ~ 3.5 Big Ben Pipo for $39.99 also.

Yeah - I ordered it lol.

It doesn't have a filter unfortunately, but at this price - whatever. If I have my history right, this is the pipe that put Big Ben back on the Map after WWII even though the owner hated the design (I can't imagine clenching this one as effectively as my Savinelli - but we'll see).

I'll let you know how it smokes lol. :).

Thanks for reading!
I love my Big Ben (I have the Cambridge) and that looks like a great package. Plus, CAO Black is one of the aros I really like - partially because it's one of the first baccys that my wife enjoyed me smoking near her. LOL

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Big Ben (I have the Cambridge) and that looks like a great package. Plus, CAO Black is one of the aros I really like - partially because it's one of the first baccys that my wife enjoyed me smoking near her. LOL
It's amazing how easy a sell anything is, when your wife is on board lol! For real! :) That said, I am glad to hear your liking on the CAO. I wasn't sure.

I would love to get a "bigger" Big Ben to add to the collection. A Barbados in particular. Between my tiny Savinelli and now this little BB Pipo, I think I have the pocket pipe's covered lol! But that Drew Estate pipe beckons Rob... oh how it beckons :).

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would post a quick update - as I don't know if I will be posting many more in this thread.

I have smoked quite a few bowls since starting, and am already getting better at slowing down and enjoying the experience. Of course, this will take years to truly master, but that I have gotten better already, has given me hope that pipe smoking may be a thing for me. It has even gotten to the point that I can take my Gurgle-king pipe (my first) and enjoy a bowl in it now (if I have a cleaner with me).

What's pulled me through, is noting that one can let a pipe go out as often as he wants and simply re-light. It's very empowering to note that re-lighting is part of the experience. As a cigar smoker - that was a huge stumbling block.

The other thing that's helped me along, is noting that you can jam a pipe cleaner through a pipe mid smoke if it's getting moist. That... well that has kept me from throwing out my gurgle pipe!

I guess most importantly, I have learnt that smoking a pipe is a personal experience and no two men smoke the same way. Its all about you and your pipe/tobacco. There is no pipe that everyone will like - nor is there a tobacco that everyone will like. Moreover, there is no single way to pack a pipe or single way to smoke it. Smoking a pipe really is all about what you make it. Which is somehow - very liberating.

I don't want to have a huge collection of pipes, but like every piper, I note every pipe has it's place and what's worse, it's hard not envisioning any pipe for sale in my mouth in a certain environment that would be perfect! Moreover, it's hard not to envision certain pipes smoking certain tobacco's better than others. My fears of collecting will probably be realized as I am seriously considering heading over to Chicago for the Pipe show there in May, but I'll try HARD to keep this aspect in check.

I am glad I have embarked on this journey. Last night, after the house had gone to sleep, I snuck out onto the patio and lit a bowl. The experience was almost zen-like. If I can replicate that once a week... once a month, it'll all have been worth it!

Thanks for reading - and thanks to all the Brothers on BOTL for the help and inputs. Some call it empowering - I call it enlightening.

Thanks again.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
dude, thanks for allowing us along for your journey. o)

and yes, PLEASE don't bin a pipe at first experience. some need more operator training, true, and some just need to be smoked into submission; petey's especially, mine just were contrary for the first two dozen smokes or more before becoming sweethearts.

also, realize pipe tobacco is CHEAP compared to cigars, and one or two stupid high end beauties in your rack (which will last a lifetime), really doesn't add up to much against even a box or three of rock star smokes... not enabling, just running the numbers...

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
dude, thanks for allowing us along for your journey. o)

and yes, PLEASE don't bin a pipe at first experience. some need more operator training, true, and some just need to be smoked into submission; petey's especially, mine just were contrary for the first two dozen smokes or more before becoming sweethearts.

also, realize pipe tobacco is CHEAP compared to cigars, and one or two stupid high end beauties in your rack (which will last a lifetime), really doesn't add up to much against even a box or three of rock star smokes... not enabling, just running the numbers...
Yes, we're not enabling... just running the numbers LOLOLOL

Screw it - yeah, *I* am enabling!

Seriously, though, as Sean mentioned, don't be too quick to set aside a pipe. Once you settle on your go-to tobaccos, you'll find that you will figure out how long to let them sit out and dry before you smoke them, how much of each tobacco you like, and the pipes that are suited to different types of tobacco. For instance, I have a freehand that I now love but was really disappointed in at first because it gurgled a lot. I tried smoking some aros in it and the first time I did an English blend, it was a different experience. Now I smoke exclusively English blends in it.

And this has been fun to follow along - thanks for starting it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, we're not enabling... just running the numbers LOLOLOL

Screw it - yeah, *I* am enabling!

Seriously, though, as Sean mentioned, don't be too quick to set aside a pipe. Once you settle on your go-to tobaccos, you'll find that you will figure out how long to let them sit out and dry before you smoke them, how much of each tobacco you like, and the pipes that are suited to different types of tobacco. For instance, I have a freehand that I now love but was really disappointed in at first because it gurgled a lot. I tried smoking some aros in it and the first time I did an English blend, it was a different experience. Now I smoke exclusively English blends in it.

And this has been fun to follow along - thanks for starting it.
Yes Rob... you need make no excuse lol. Your enabling is quite evident - it's why we like you :).

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
the baronette series is a lower end, but the rustication is appealing, and while panels usually aren't my thing, that is a solid and handsome example. i hole it is mostly clean and ready, and that you enjoy it thoroughly. honestly, with my (limited) experience with sav's, it will probably become a workhorse, and possibly a best smoker for you.

slight caveat: the baronette are mostly F#@KING BIG pipes, so that may take a minute to smoke. for your first couple few, and until you get aquainted with that briar, i would maybe load it in halves to 2/3's... but that's just me. you got the time, sit down and burn it for the duration!

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
nice thing about piping. you pull a churchill, you're SMOKING a churchill (or wasting some). you pull a HUGE bowl, you still get to decide how to dial it in to your needs for that moment.

also burning half and saving it for later, but that is entirely separate...

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Savinelli's I think all have Balsa filters, which absorb plenty of moisture from the tobacco. You can buy them dirt cheap on-line and they come in various sizes. I think 6mm and 9mm are the more common ones. I choose to keep it in when I smoke. But it really comes down to what your preference is with or without using one. I purchased 2 pipes, no filters and I had a lot of moisture back up into the stem and I just had to take easier puffs. Then again I'm a big boy full of hot air.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://m.ebay.com/itm/281614307683?_mwBanner=1

No filter in the photo. I was hoping for a filtered pipe (based on your logic), but i have this itch on my trigger finger... The pipe looks to be in great shape. I might take the stem to a buffer, but I doubt I'll touch it otherwise. Reccomendations?
Again - great pipe!

I think I would salt it. Ask the enabler @rdomfoto, what that entails. In a nutshell, you put salt and some booze in the bowl for a while. This will pull out any "ghost" flavours that the pipe may or may not have. Aside from that - running some alcohol down the stem would be good.

Oh - Get a rubber nib for the end when you order some tobacco. It'll really helps you get better at clenching the pipe without putting teeth marks in it :). Priceless really.

So being you bought yourself a nice pipe... I went ahead and ordered myself one too :)! From freaking Italy!! I mean, the pipe is from Holland, but the only vendor I could find selling the one I wanted, was in freaking Italy - and it was his last one. I know that's true as, as soon as I bought it, his page listed it as sold out. I am so glad I got it! I knew I wanted it from the first time I saw it LOL!

http://www.alpascia.com/pipes/i/Pipe-Index

If I buy another pipe - It'll be the Drew Estate's pipe. This has to stop! Even if I am as excited as a kid in a candy store lol!!