What's new

the OE15 Dog Rocket Challenge!!!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Rocket: Indian Tabac Classic Corojo
Acquired from: CI Brown Bag Sampler
Paired with: Sam Adams: Cold Snap
Reason I've been absent: Pops got the open heart surgery. There are two types of people in the world. One is my dad. The other is all the rest of you.
#priorities
IndianTabacLabel [1600x1200].jpg Behold! The best part of the cigar.

This cigar had been sitting in the bottom of my humidor for a looong time. As mentioned, I got it in a sampler. But nothing about it ever really said, "Sample me, dahling. You know you vant to". Hell, it never even said, "Hey, suck on this! [insert IASL gesture here*]". But it's for the children, damnit. Here goes nothing.

This was a torpedo, so the cut was a snap. The pre-draw tasted like damn near nothing. It took to fire quickly, despite it being in 75 RH for a year.
2015-05-22 19.10.39 [1600x1200].jpg
Burn baby burn...Choctaw Inferno.

This stick is burning quickly. I'd better type faster, I'm halfway through now. I'm not going to go into flavor, because there's nothing there to go into. It tastes like cigarette paper. Perhaps this explains the fast burn, as I am now approaching the label.

Well, this was fun. Actually, no. But it was certainly fast. 35 minutes and done. This would be a great cigar to smoke if it could take you backward in time. Short of that, Dog Rocket!

*Italian American Sign Language

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Week 3 in review, unless we get any more reviews here this evening - we're at 7 dog rockets smoked this week and they were all truly awful smokes, so I'm doubling down on all of them!

Plus, since it fits this thread so well (and because it's friggin hilarious) I'm counting Bondo's Dog Rocket Wheel of Flavors as worthy of a buck, with the extra buck to be awarded if we give him enough horrid flavors to fill it! Grape Nuts, Bic pen tops, ass of Yak... what joys will we discover next?

First 2 weeks - $70, Week 3 - 15 x 2 makes $30, add it all up and we're at the $100 mark! Woohoo! We've met our target but still have a week and a half to go, so let's keep it up and finish strong - I've still got another review or 2 left in me, so I'll be right there with you guys. I realize that the idea of having me horking along side you probably isn't very motivating or inspirational, so let's do it for the kids! (y)

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sorry spanks, I missed this question. I would say yes, but remember I'm still very new to scotch. ;)
I'd agree that its better, but that doesn't mean it's really good.... I think there are far better scotches out there for the money. JW is a pretty consistent letdown for me (never tried Blue Label, though).

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Week 3 in review, unless we get any more reviews here this evening - we're at 7 dog rockets smoked this week and they were all truly awful smokes, so I'm doubling down on all of them!

Plus, since it fits this thread so well (and because it's friggin hilarious) I'm counting Bondo's Dog Rocket Wheel of Flavors as worthy of a buck, with the extra buck to be awarded if we give him enough horrid flavors to fill it! Grape Nuts, Bic pen tops, ass of Yak...
what joys will we discover next?

First 2 weeks - $70, Week 3 - 15 x 2 makes $30, add it all up and we're at the $100 mark! Woohoo! We've met our target but still have a week and a half to go, so let's keep it up and finish strong - I've still got another review or 2 left in me, so I'll be right there with you guys. I realize that the idea of having me horking along side you probably isn't very motivating or inspirational, so let's do it for the kids! (y)
Wow Jamie that's great ! $100 Mark, ! Nice work Buddy !
I'll have to keep an eye out and see if we can complete the Dog Rocket Wheel of Flavors !!
Yes ! what flavorful voyages of adventure will we discover next?!!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With the holiday and everything else going on, I really had planned to stay away from the rockets this weekend.
But if it's for the kids and the Wheel well I will just have to make it happen.
Later.
After I enjoy a meal.
I didn't get to be this gargantuan by screwing up my palate before dinner.
And thanks to all for the well wishes for my dad.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Wow Jamie that's great ! $100 Mark, ! Nice work Buddy !
I'll have to keep an eye out and see if we can complete the Dog Rocket Wheel of Flavors !!
Yes ! what flavorful voyages of adventure will we discover next?!!
Thanks! The credit belongs to everyone though - we wouldn't be there without @SouthernerInSask backing this too, or the guys willing to sacrifice their taste buds here. Big props to all the guys on the dog rocket box pass too, for showing us how much fun this can be - I never would have had the idea, if not for the hilarity that has ensued over there.

My Gurkha review. Hopefully this counts.
LOL, that absolutely counts! Great write-up - keep linking them here!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A cigar haiku
A dog rocket's time for review
It is for the kids

Tonight I smoke a toro
El Mejor Gran Reserva
Wrapped in a green label

I research the stick
It is always wrapped in cedar
But not on this day

To my great surprise
As the cellophane opend
Disintegration

From the foot, it fell
Detritus of a bad cigar
Scattered on my shoe

Have you ever thought
Reviews I could write that way.
How clever am I?

But as you wrote it
You realized its limits
So to hell with it

Here's the foot:foot.jpg

Near a teaspoon of tobacco fell out of the cellophane. I can't say it was promising. I read some reviews, which said it was OK for the low price point. But at each of those, and everywhere I found a pic of this stick, it was cedar wrapped.
This is not my pic:El Mejor Emerald - 1.jpg My Pic:2015-05-24 00.20.52 [1600x1200].jpg

The cut was clean enough, though the remaining cap fell away shortly after I started puffing. The pre-light draw reminded my of the empty wrapper of a York Peppermint Patty, a day of the candy. There used to be something nice here, but now all you have is dirty metal.
dirty metal.jpg
In the first third, the taste develops into a slightly under pressured burnt football. It is unpleasant and rude. All things being equal, I'd have rather been in Philadelphia. The burn is even. But whoop-dee-do, the accuracy of the butcher means little to the pig.

Halfway through, the football morphs into soles of feet. Maybe mixed with a little disc brake residue for spice. There is no happiness in this rocket. Not even a hint of it. I think every person involved with its manufacture was having a bad week. Except the cedar wrapper guy, who was likely vacationing that week in the Poconos with Anja and Dilja, Icelandic twin yoga instructors.

The ash on this thing is just a pansy. It flew around like glitter from the hand of Rip Taylor.

I'm just angry with this stick. Look, I've smoked some doosey's here in the last few weeks. But at least they tried to taste like something interesting. Yes, they failed spectacularly. But they tried! Hey, maybe someone though yak ass might bring something to the game. (seriously, let's not bring this up with the gang at Drew Estate. Those fuckers will try anything) But this stick...gah! It was conceived by someone constipated far too long.
Come to think of it, maybe it was an ExLax wrapper, and not a York wrapper, that I sensed on the draw.

I've smoked some other sticks from El Mejor that have been OK. But this thing needs to not be. It makes me want to drink tequila to get rid of the taste, and I hate tequila.

Attachments

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Thanks! The credit belongs to everyone though - we wouldn't be there without @SouthernerInSask backing this too, or the guys willing to sacrifice their taste buds here. Big props to all the guys on the dog rocket box pass too, for showing us how much fun this can be - I never would have had the idea, if not for the hilarity that has ensued over there.
(y)

@Kudzuma
LOL Excellent ! Hiku ! Dirty Metal ! Burnt Football. ! EX-Lax wrapper ! ! Much LOLz !
A revision to the infamous Dog Rocket Wheel of Flavor has been triggered ! !