What's new

The Official Budget Stick Thread

The BurgerMeister

the devil is a busy man.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that A.J. Fernandez pretty consistently makes incredible cigars.

He's becoming one of my very favorites.
here, here! love the Man O' War line, and just discovered La Herencia Cubana. i'll be getting a box of them (LHC originals, not Oscuro Fuertes) as soon as i can. they just have a great flavor for a medium-full smoke. not $2 a stick, but $60/box is mighty doable for me.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970 Consuls and lanceros can often be had for under $70.00 per box, which puts the unit price at @$3.50 per cigar.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
It seems there are enough people here who, like me, are interested in finding those odd "diamonds in the rough" - great sticks at reasonable prices - to warrant a thread dedicated to it.
I think, as Dave pointed out, that there are a ton of threads looking for a great cheaper smoke, a "diamond in the rough". I stopped looking a long time ago, as did most smokers I know. You will not, ever, ever, ever find a 2$ cigar that no one knows about that is almost as good as something in the 10$ up range. You will however find some that are "good for 2$" but if you are dedicating time to something (1hr +) why even bother?

My advise, give up looking now. Save money, eat less, sell your children or wife, do whatever it takes to smoke something you enjoy when you have that small amount of free time to enjoy yourself during the week and dont settle for something because it is cheap. Smoke less if you have to! Make it a hobby not a habit!

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I think, as Dave pointed out, that there are a ton of threads looking for a great cheaper smoke, a "diamond in the rough". I stopped looking a long time ago, as did most smokers I know. You will not, ever, ever, ever find a 2$ cigar that no one knows about that is almost as good as something in the 10$ up range. You will however find some that are "good for 2$" but if you are dedicating time to something (1hr +) why even bother?

My advise, give up looking now. Save money, eat less, sell your children or wife, do whatever it takes to smoke something you enjoy when you have that small amount of free time to enjoy yourself during the week and dont settle for something because it is cheap. Smoke less if you have to! Make it a hobby not a habit!
I could not agree more! Well said J. I would like to add though that there are a ton of smokes for 4-5 dollars that are better then 8-9 dollar sticks in the states. You just have to look a little harder and stick around for awhile!

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Devils Weed, @ $1.50/stick its a great cheapo. Mild & creamy flavors.

I've got a few Onyx, that I've never smoked. Picked 'em up on a whim. I'll have to try one soon after the recommendation in this thread.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Braden,
I understand the question and been there. Still go there on occassion. Didn't seal your package yet. I'll toss in a couple other cigars that have fit your description for me at times over the years. Nothing that'll ever be on the cover of CA, or that I'll brag about smoking.
But, 'cheap bastard' is a big part of what defines me. I must admit that because cost never leaves my conciousness, even after lighting, I can enjoy a good $3 cigar every bit as much as a great $10 cigar.
- - To me the defining answer to this thread is clearly Tierra del Sol Maduro Corona. (Beware: the Natural blows chunks and any other size maduro is missing the depth of flavor that the corona has, but they aren't bad.) Every single one of these I've ever had (100's) has been very, very satisfying. This is my morning cigar 2-4 times a week -- won't blow your socks off unless you're like me and the fact that you paid $25/20 on cbid makes it taste better. :thumbsup:

BTW, Calle Ocho has two huge strikes against it: mixed filler and sweetened tip. But, I must admit that the Sumatra version is not bad at all. Tabak is the only other cigar that I'd smoke anymore with a sweetened tip, but it doesn't hurt this one too much. The mixed filler holds together much better than many (AF Curly or GH fumas come to mind.)

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Life is too short to smoke cheap cigars.
CWS

Yeah but I'm a 23 year old with a very, very limited income.

If I could smoke LP's, Tat's and My Father's every time I lit up, I would. :(

I like to smoke a few times a week.

WhiteWolfIndulgence

Prince Sascha
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The Sancho Panza Maduro is actually not a bad stick for under $5. Nice flavors that hold up well.

Also the Gurka Sherpa isn't bad either. Some construction problems but what do you expect for a $2.00 Gurka

Rating - 100%
37   0   0

I'll give you that, about the $2 cigar. I've enjoyed my fair share of $2 cigars, but they never have the complexity of a $10+.

However...

I have smoked some $5, $6 and $7 cigars that I can confidently say were just as good as stuff I've spent $10 on. Sometimes even better.

I'd say $5-$6 is the "magic number" when it comes to a healthy dose of both value and quality.