What's new

The Official Budget Stick Thread

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Why specifically the lancero? It seems to be the second most expensive of the 'V' line.

Is that just your preferred vitola?
Remember 36 come in a box....and I agree when you find them on sale for about $3.50ea, they are the best budget stick out there.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Remember 36 come in a box....and I agree when you find them on sale for about $3.50ea, they are the best budget stick out there.
If you're patient you can find a box for around $100. About $3-4 a cigar is a great price on a very good cigar.
yep 36 sticks. so almost 2 boxes of sticks, and even at $140 a box, they are only $3.80 a stick. besides, lanceros are where it's at.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
The Illusione HL is one of the best cigars I have ever smoked.

So yeah, I can definitely get in on the lancero love.

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
I think, as Dave pointed out, that there are a ton of threads looking for a great cheaper smoke, a "diamond in the rough". I stopped looking a long time ago, as did most smokers I know. You will not, ever, ever, ever find a 2$ cigar that no one knows about that is almost as good as something in the 10$ up range. You will however find some that are "good for 2$" but if you are dedicating time to something (1hr +) why even bother?

My advise, give up looking now. Save money, eat less, sell your children or wife, do whatever it takes to smoke something you enjoy when you have that small amount of free time to enjoy yourself during the week and dont settle for something because it is cheap. Smoke less if you have to! Make it a hobby not a habit!
Braden,
I understand the question and been there. Still go there on occassion. Didn't seal your package yet. I'll toss in a couple other cigars that have fit your description for me at times over the years. Nothing that'll ever be on the cover of CA, or that I'll brag about smoking.
But, 'cheap bastard' is a big part of what defines me. I must admit that because cost never leaves my conciousness, even after lighting, I can enjoy a good $3 cigar every bit as much as a great $10 cigar.
- - To me the defining answer to this thread is clearly Tierra del Sol Maduro Corona. (Beware: the Natural blows chunks and any other size maduro is missing the depth of flavor that the corona has, but they aren't bad.) Every single one of these I've ever had (100's) has been very, very satisfying. This is my morning cigar 2-4 times a week -- won't blow your socks off unless you're like me and the fact that you paid $25/20 on cbid makes it taste better. :thumbsup:
I have to agree with both of your statements, if that's possible.

I rarely will venture out for a aprox. $2 cigar, but I really like picking up Famous Nic. 3000's and Holts L.H.O.'s. Have enjoyed them much more than some $10 plus sticks, example the Drac( yes, I have had it on Halloween '09 and '10) But in large part avoid, many entries in that price range.

Thegreekone

Banned
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Life is too short to smoke cheap cigars.
CWS

And there you have it!

I may smoke less, but I smoke some pretty nice sticks. I can barely stomach he thought of trying to get through 90 minutes of a bad cigar during what is supposed to be MY time, which I seem to find fewer and fewer moments during what has been one of the most hectic and demanding periods of my life.

I smoked a CC today, not hugely expensive (I "found it"), but not cheap either.

You know what? I can say that I savored and enjoyed EVERY puff.

Finally, most of the closing statements in this thread end with, "for the price." So, it's not bad for the money, but compared to WHAT?

I'm far from affluent, but I also know what I can't smoke either, which is half way to deciding what you want to smoke.

Thegreekone

Banned
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
The Illusione HL is one of the best cigars I have ever smoked.

So yeah, I can definitely get in on the lancero love.

And blow your thread. That is a $9.35 stick on NHC.

Braden, your adventure has only started. You are going to smoke some cigars that are going to blow your mind and palate, probably after you get my trade. :) And there will be no going back. Which is in now way a bad thing.

You mentioned your age and budget.

Add up ALL the boxes and samplers you have bought and come up with a figure and then think about the 2 sticks you smoke a week. My stash isn't huge, but it's diverse and quality. I will worry about aging boxes for years later.

I'm dating, and i don't mind paying more if they "put out," as it were. :blush:

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Oh, believe me, Jack, I know I'm just getting started. And I'm sure that, down the road when I have a career and good income and the like, buying boxes of the super-premium, pricey smokes like Illusione and Tatuaje and the like more regularly will be what I'm doing.

But the thing is, I really, genuinely enjoyed that $2 Gurkha the other night. And I was glad I purchased it.

I feel similarly to how I feel about liquor. I worked at a brewery for two years. I've drunk, quite literally, more than a thousand different beers.

I love those super-premium imports that cost $10+/ bottle.

But I also have more than enough room in my fridge to enjoy a Miller High Life, or Sleeman.

Thegreekone

Banned
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
maybe that is where we differ.

I can never go back to MHL after having a Rochefort 10 or Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. It's not even beer to me.

That said, I do have a tendency to become passionate about my habits.

Doesn't Gurkha make some really expensive cigar?

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
maybe that is where we differ.

I can never go back to MHL after having a Rochefort 10 or Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. It's not even beer to me.

That said, I do have a tendency to become passionate about my habits.

Doesn't Gurkha make some really expensive cigar?

They may make some really expensive sticks.. whether they are worth it.. well that's personal taste.

Shit. Smoke what you enjoy and have some fun. I've got a couple boxes of basic stuff I like, now I'd like to pick up a couple boxes of some higher end stuff. I have a hard time justifying cost since most of my money goes towards hockey. :dunno:

Oh and Jack, you kick ass for drinking good beer. I just might have to put together a local Austin 6-pack for you......

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
The best beer I have ever had was at a brew-pub here in NYC.

It was a seasonal beer called "Not Tonight Honey Porter", and it was orgasmic.

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
They are made by Gran Habano. You know the saying about Macanudo? If the band says Mac then put it back. I feel the same way about Gran Habano.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
They are made by Gran Habano. You know the saying about Macanudo? If the band says Mac then put it back. I feel the same way about Gran Habano.

:rolling:

I've never heard that before.

Why is it that all these seemingly terrible cigar companies are some of the biggest sellers? Apparently Macanudo is like, one of the biggest sellers in the USA.

Isn't Gran Habano 3 Siglos supposed to be quite good, though?