What's new

The Official Budget Stick Thread

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Diesel and Diesel Unlimited can be found at Cigar.com and Cigars International. Both excellent IMHO. Diesels are 10 bucks off right now at CI.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Aren't these pepin-made?

I don't recall it being mentioned yet but forgive me if it has. One of my favorite budget smokes is the Famous Nicaraguan Selection 3000. They are around $40-$50 or so for a bundle of 20 and even better when they are on sale.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of great suggestions in this thread. I smoke $2 and $3 cigars in the morning, before my palate has awakened. Smoking better cigars at this time can be a waste of money.

Has anyone heard of Evelio Cigars? The Robusto Larga Maduro, as all the vitolas that JR carries, goes for $54.95 for a box of 25. Steve Saka says very good things about this cigar, calling it a sleeper.

Some history: “Nestor Plascencia told Evelio of his group's dream to produce cigars with the original Cuban Quality and workmanship. [Plascenia's] love for the 'old ways' was inspired, and, with the assurance that [Elevio] would be given total control over the process to ensure it duplicates the original Cuban-style of cigar making, [Elevio] agreed to assist with the setup of Nestor's new facilities to produce these exquisite cigars." (fujipub)

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't these pepin-made?

Famous does not indicate where the Nicaraguan Selection 3000's are made on the website other than "Handmade by one of Nicaragua's top tabacaleras".

I have done a little research and everything I have found says that Oliva makes these.

Dbow

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Famous does not indicate where the Nicaraguan Selection 3000's are made on the website other than "Handmade by one of Nicaragua's top tabacaleras".

I have done a little research and everything I have found says that Oliva makes these.

Dbow
Seems like the famous nic 7000 robustos are the ones made by pepin.

http://www.famous-smoke.com/cigars/promo.cfm?feature=home_011011&emk=EMW1505&utm_source=WeeklySale&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EMW1505&utm_content=PerdomoSale

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I was incredibly surprised by how well constructed the Famous Nic. selections are.

Without the band, they look indistinguishable from ultra-premium smokes.

CFonseca

n00b
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've really been enjoying stuff from Padilla lately, and you can find 5ers for under $10. 5Vegas can be decent, but I can't stand the gold IMO. Gurkha also has some decent budget stuff.

As for cheap cheap, Nica Libre isn't all that bad. A lot of the stuff that's been mentioned already is worth a look for the price. There's a ton of stuff in the $2-4 range though.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
They are made by Gran Habano. You know the saying about Macanudo? If the band says Mac then put it back. I feel the same way about Gran Habano.
That's a little unfair, the Rico family has produced some very good cigars at great price points. The Gran Habano Vintage 2002 is not only the best constructed and best looking $2 cigar, IMO it smokes and tastes better than most $6-$8 cigars. The new Gran Habano Azteca is a really tasty Mex/Nic/Panama medium-full double maduro that kicks ass as far as flavor goes and the Cabinet Selection although a little pricey is damn good.

With the exception of the Ruky Oscuro I didn't think Pepin really brought anything to the table that Guillermo couldn't have done. Now that father and son have started working together again I look forward to their new products.

Last edited:
Reactions: KLF

maestrobasser

@maestrobasser
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a little unfair, the Rico family has produced some very good cigars at great price points. The Gran Habano Vintage 2002 is not only the best constructed and best looking $2 cigar, IMO it smokes and tastes better than most $6-$8 cigars. The new Gran Habano Azteca is a really tasty Mex/Nic/Panama medium-full double maduro that kicks ass as far as flavor goes and the Cabinet Selection although a little pricey is damn good.

With the exception of the Ruky Oscuro I didn't think Pepin really brought anything to the table that the Guillermo couldn't have done. Now that father and son have started working together again I look forward to their new products.
+1 on the Gran Habanos. The 2002's are my go to cheap smoke @ 20 for $39.99, as well as almost everything else they make with the exception of the connies, because...well, all connies are gross IMHO. I've got a B&M that has some shaggys of theirs that are fan freaking tastic, I've been slowly buying them up every time I go in. I can't find them listed anywhere online, not even mentioned.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
I really want to try those Gran Habano Vintage 2002's.

I also want to try the Gran Habano 3 SLS.
Both the SLS and the 3 Siglos are to be discontinued from what I last heard so the Ricos could concentrate on the Azteca line which at last count I believe is in it's third incarnation. Not sure what's being tweaked but I really enjoyed the first run.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cu-Avana Robustos come in around $2 a stick, they are a mild cigar, but I've never had a bad smoke with them. I keep a healthy dose of these in the humi

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I think, as Dave pointed out, that there are a ton of threads looking for a great cheaper smoke, a "diamond in the rough". I stopped looking a long time ago, as did most smokers I know. You will not, ever, ever, ever find a 2$ cigar that no one knows about that is almost as good as something in the 10$ up range. You will however find some that are "good for 2$" but if you are dedicating time to something (1hr +) why even bother?

My advise, give up looking now. Save money, eat less, sell your children or wife, do whatever it takes to smoke something you enjoy when you have that small amount of free time to enjoy yourself during the week and dont settle for something because it is cheap. Smoke less if you have to! Make it a hobby not a habit!
I know this thread is massively old but I have to respond here. I recently had a cigar that if you buy in bundle of 25 is $3. They are no-name custom rolled cigars from Cuban Crafters in Daytona. Not the Miami one. They were better than some $10 cigars I have smoke and I am not talking about Gran Habano rares or something weird. They compared to some My Fathers or San Cristobals I have had. They were good.