What's new

The Official Budget Stick Thread

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
But the thing is, I really, genuinely enjoyed that $2 Gurkha the other night. And I was glad I purchased it.
You've answered your own question. If you can get these for $2 and you really enjoy smoking them then this is the stick you should be smoking. Once you abandon it and venture deeply into the world of premiums and super premiums you'll go back to that Gurkha and unfortunately have a less than stellar experience.

I have a friend that smokes a couple of cigars a month, Garcia y Vegas right off the shelf at the service station. He loves them but on occasion he asks for advice on something different. I tell him to stick to the GVs he won't regret it and neither will his wallet. Why? Because he loves them now, who am I to break up a happy couple?

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I just got a 60 pack of these (Origen Originals) and within 2 weeks had taken a few down. I would absolutely recommend these sticks, ESPECIALLY for a budget stick. $95 per 60 makes it a no-brainer. The one thing I noticed is that they start out very slow, but come on full flavored halfway through to be actually really good.

rabbgp

Savor
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I got a box of Fumadores free with an order from Holts a few years ago. I didnt care for them at all. I am a big Pepin fan, but these just didnt do it for me. Maybe I should give them another shot.
Well I have burned through most of them, and though I wasnt impressed by the first one, I have come to enjoy them. Not the stick I smoke in the evening but great for the morning walk.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
You've answered your own question. If you can get these for $2 and you really enjoy smoking them then this is the stick you should be smoking. Once you abandon it and venture deeply into the world of premiums and super premiums you'll go back to that Gurkha and unfortunately have a less than stellar experience.

I don't agree with this, though.

I have ventured into the deep, dark world of super-premiums, and while they are absolutely, definitely better, deeper, richer smokes, I still very much enjoy that $2 Gurkha on a revisit.

I'm glad I can enjoy stuff from all different levels.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Ah, so Flor de Oliva are good??

That's great to hear.

I was interested in Calle Ocho until I found out they have sweetened tips. No thank you.
Newbie question. Megladon, do you mean that they artificially sweeten the end of the cigar with some type of sugar or that they choose leaves that are too sweet?

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Agree. Well said.
My only need for Cheapies are for give aways. I have buddies with real tight finances so I float them when we hang. I prob give away 15-25 cigars a month. So the 1.50-2 range is ideal. A few of them can tell a great cigar, others can't. I got burned giving tats etc to guys who may not finish it or simply don't have the pallette for quality yet.
For that insistent buddy that wants to try one but you know will not enjoy it or the guy in your group who doesn't want to be left out of the activity. Had a fishing buddy who tossed a Partagas halfway through! My first reaction was anger but I quickly realized it was my fault. hand these out to those guys.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Capoeira is a cheap brand I wouldn't waste on unappreciative smokers, because it's just that good.

I don't care that they're cheap. I'm hoarding them for myself.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't recall it being mentioned yet but forgive me if it has. One of my favorite budget smokes is the Famous Nicaraguan Selection 3000. They are around $40-$50 or so for a bundle of 20 and even better when they are on sale.

I agree with a lot of what has been said in the thread. There are some good budget smokes out there and I think it is good to keep trying new things. I like to mix it up and grab at least some cheap brands/sticks when I make a purchase. I have tried some of the more expensive smokes and In my opinion the sweet spot is right around the $7 a stick range. So far I have not been able to justify the cost of a $10+ stick compared to the difference between a $7 stick.

There are some great suggestions in the thread and I have added several to my shopping list.

In particular I think I will try the Diesel Unholy Cocktail. Can someone tell me who carries this?

Thanks for the great thread!

Dbow