What's new

The Thanksgiving Weekend "Smoke your Rare Smoke" thread

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Guys,

This has been an amazing thread, thank you all so much for contributing!
@Simoun - Your pictures are awesome, that looks like it was a tasty smoke!
It was tasty. A new favorite of mine. And I agree, this thread's great. I love reading everyone's reviews and I'm learning about a lot of sticks!

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Ok no pictures for my smoke as I forgot even my phone at home when I went to smoke. Here goes this cigar is not in perfect condition but for 30 years of age there is only a tear in the wrapper caused by the band. Pre light there is little taste or aroma left in this cigar. A #3 is great size for me as it about my prefered ring gauge and not too long. Light flavours for the first third it is good cigar but not making me go wow yet. All that changed right at the begining of the 2nd third the aroma coming off the cigar would catch me off guard and I would be trying to figure out where it was coming from. Another thing that was catching my attention was the wrapper, There were a few veins but it was perhaps the silkiest wrapper I have ever felt. The cigar is changeing regularly now. As much as I should be trying harder to concentrate on this cigar all I can do is lean back in my chair, close my eyes and smile. The final third continued on from the second, lots of complexity but not a lot of body to it. Managed to get about 2 hours out of this corona, no relights but burnt my fingers good. Now I try to smoke quite a few rare cigars and most of the time they are a great experience but rarely are they one of the best cigars I have ever smoked. This one is MRN talks about cigars becoming ethereal after 30 years of aging. Not sure if this was that but definately a wow smoke for me. Thank you Carl for the chance to try this great smoke. I guess it could really be :grinFU: Carl now I too am in search of 70's Monte's.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
WOW...I got alot to learn yet. I don't even know what half of you guys are smokin. I've never seen these sticks where I live. Thanks for the Tat Black photo's, I kept hearing about them but never seen one. Anyways I hope to find some of these down the road because they all sound good. This was a great post for someone like me looking for something out of the norm. Again great thread!! :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Well I finally got around to smoking my Avo LE-05 yesterday. (This was graciously gifted to me by ksflyfisher.)
The weather was great = sunny + 68F, so I took my smoke out to the backyard with a nice glass of iced tea.

The look of this cigar was quite nice. A dard colorado colored wrapper with some small veins. The construction seem solid and the pre-light aroma was a very mild cedar. However, this cigar was soon to turn into a real Jekyll and Hyde type smoke.

Soon after lighting, the outer wrapper began to crack. This made the burn on the first third very erratic and uneven. I had to touch up twice. The draw was good, but I was not getting lots of smoke. The flavors were very muted - somewhat vegetal + grassy with a bit of an oilyness on the tongue. Sort of like eating the outside skin of a mild green pepper. The overall body and strength was very mild.

Toward the end of the first third, the burn was doing much better and the flavors were starting to improve. I was now getting flavors of dry toast and cedar on the draw with hints of cocoa on the finish.

Then a short while later the wrapper again started cracking / splitting. At this point, I noticed that the strength had also picked up quite a bit as I started getting a real good buzz. So I started smoking more slowly.

The flavors during the middle of the cigar were very good. Probably closer to medium in body with cedar, rich tobacco, and occasional waves of dark chocolate. The strenght was more in the medium to full range though, so to me this cigar was somewhat out of balance. Also, the wrapper continued having issues which affected the burn.

Then while finishing the second third and going into the last third, the profile took a turn for the worse. The strength died down a bit but I lost all the good flavors. They were replaced by a bitter dark coffee. Kind of like drinking a cup after the pot has been sitting on a hot plate for 24 hours. Blech! I gave it a few minutes and these seemed to go away - and again I found the good cedar and dark chocolate flavors. The burn also straightened out again and the wrapper stopped cracking any further. However, at about the 1.5" mark, the nasty, bitter coffee flavor returned and I decided to put this soldier down.

Overall I give this cigar about a C+. There were times when it was really good, but there were far more times when it was quite timid - or downright nasty. I do have another one of these sitting in the humi and hopefully it will give a better performance.

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
I sit out in my garage watching the rain fall as I decide to put flame to this beauty. *** Note, I am using my Iphone so the pics are not great.

I've had these for a couple for about three months now. I wasn't really sure when I would find the right occasion to smoke one but I felt like this weekend would be as good as any. I had planned to smoke it during the Post Turkey Day Crawl (PTDC) here in Dallas but the time limits in going from place to place I knew I would not be able to do the stick the time needed justice.

This came from one of the 1000 boxes of 10. It is all Cuban, wrapper, binder, and filler. It measures in at 50 x 6.75. This is a hefty stick. these would probably run you about $35 a stick if you would happen to find them.

The appearance on this is beautiful. In fact I heard it said, that this is "the most beautiful cigar in the world". The band has raised lettering in gold and copper color. it reminded me of those gold foil wrappers you would find on those chocolate coins. The wrapper is something to behold, it is soft, dry, only a few veins but silky smooth. The wrapper was so delicate and lite.

Pre-lite draw filled my palette with a bit a hay, nuttiness, and dirt. The first draws after it was lit, was like roasted pecans, like sampling those cinnamon, sweet roasted pecans as you walk through the mall. I was concerned that there might be some draw issues as I only cut a sliver of the cap and the stick felt rather firm and hefty. However, my concern was soon put to rest as I started smoking this masterpiece.

The first 2 inches were quite mellow with the continuation of the pecans, caramel, kind of like candy corns. Once past that mark something kicked in, across came a bit of pepper with the creaminess. It was rather delightful.

Four inches in or so, the cigar keep bringing forth great smoke. The depth of the flavors never let up. I could detect hints of oak and that cinnamon remained sprinkled throughout. I kept gazing at the firmness of the stick, yet it's wrapper was so delicate.

The cigar never became harsh. The end remained the creamy oak and smoothness that had started this magnificent stick.

I smoked this beauty for 2 hours and 3 minutes. This was probably the longest I have ever smoked on one cigar, it was worth it. I did not want to put it down. Even after the last picture I picked it up and smoke a bit more. If you are fortunate to run across these, don't hesitate to buy them. Sadly, I only have one more. I will let it rest as I am sure with age comes much more blending and bringing forth greater nuances that the newness have not birthed yet. It has even greater potential.

ahbroody

Daddy X3
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Nothing to rare.
Smoked an El Rey Del Mundo Gran Corona from 01 yesterday night
Today it was a Trinidad LE from 07.

The ERDM won by a mile.

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
OK, so I got the chance to enjoy this stick in the company of my wife. This is pretty rare, and even rarer, she lit up a little vanilla number and actually joined me. Was a good time in the back yard.

Only a soft christmas-light glow in the gazeebo, and only the BlackBerry for photos... they are a trainwreck, but at least I got some. Please forgive the quality. Also, this is my first real review with Pics, so be gentle!!

The Stick: Bolivar Torpedo, 5 &1/2 inches, 52rg
The Cutter: Xikar Xi2 - Black Composite
The Torch: Colibri Firebird Dual Soft Flame

Admiring the beaut, pre-light:

The smell off the unlit tobacco is mild, and a tiny bit sweet. Wrapper is in good shape, this promises to be a good one!

Let's get to smokin'!

The First Third is very leathery, and I am noticing an almost flavored tip effect going on, very strange, but I swear the thing tasted like salt. This lasted throughout on the finish of the smoke, but was most prevalent during the first third. Initially, a very dry smoke, and not tons of smoke coming through. Some other notes coming out early include some cedar-like woodsy notes.

The Second Third is still leathery, but the saltiness and cedar have subsided... in their place is a rich tobacco flavor and a bit of a floral, almost soapy, flavor... not unpleasant. Some slight sweetness.

Construction has proven excellent up to and past this point. Medium draw and excellent burn line throughout.

In the Final Third I detected much grassyness but not a bland or offensive lot of it... getting some nuttiness, as well as a bit of a "kick" in the spice department.

One hour and 23 minutes total burn time.

Overall, a very decent stick. The flavors evolved and changed right on que at the "thirds." I was excited to try this stick as I have limited CC experience. This was one of only a few in the Wineador... I got to share it with my lady, and now, share the experience with all of you.

Brooks - Great thread idea... how about an annual tradition?

Moro - What stick did I smoke?

Cheers.

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
Damn...sorry...I posted up what I had been smoking, but did not see the part about reviews till on a real computer now. For the 858 all I can remember was the prelight draw, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd being a very consistent delicious/possibly best cigar I have smoked! Reminded me of a CC with the light draw and the great flavor! I wish I would have taken notes for ya and possibly a picture...but I was already too caught up with having one in my hands that was lit:)

Great idea bro and I love the reviews! Very cool concept indeed!

And to finish off this weekend, I had a OR DPG Blue Label Lancero...very good stick...but still tight. I was kinda shocked, but man I do love the older DPG blues!
Nick

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Missed my chance yesterday. Day was gorgeous, perfect weather to sit and enjoy a good cigar, alas it was also a great day to finish getting the place ready for winter. Smoked 2 nasty cigars while doing yard work that left such a bad taste in my mouth that I dared not take the chance of ruining a great cigar.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Wow really nice pictures you guys!
@tedski - Sorry about that AVO bud... Give em some humi time... Great cigar!
Well as these have been (allegedly) sitting around for 4 years in the retailers' humi ... and then a couple weeks in mine, I doubt that is the answer.

For me, cigars are very similar to wine. There are no great wines ... only great bottles of wine. Sometimes you just get a bad one.

BrandonJ

I <3 Eric.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Well as these have been (allegedly) sitting around for 4 years in the retailers' humi ... and then a couple weeks in mine, I doubt that is the answer.

For me, cigars are very similar to wine. There are no great wines ... only great bottles of wine. Sometimes you just get a bad one.
This is true bud.... Very true... Try another! :)

Rating - 100%
34   0   0

Damn, sorry to hear Ted. I have had mixed luck with the few I have smoked. They do seem to smoke anemic through 1/3 and even a little into the 2/3. Once they open up they are pretty tasty but it has been hit and miss for me as well. I hope the next one smokes good for you.

Jamie

Last edited:

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I smoked a number of great sticks over the weekend: Noella Reserva, CC Farmie, Boris, Davidoff Colorado, 7-20-4, Trinidad Robusto, etc... But I choose this for my 'special' stick...

Been holding on to this one since one epic trade...

I really enjoy the Bolivar line, so I was looking forward to this - plus it was my only one... It struck me as a little 'lighter' than the regular line, more delicate. Very buttery & though it didn't blow my socks off, I really enjoyed this post-turkey smoke that finished just as the tryptophan started to take effect!