What's new

The Thanksgiving Weekend "Smoke your Rare Smoke" thread

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
CAO Millennium

I wasn't keeping this cigar for a special occasion. I just didn't know what to expect from it. So, I always passed it by for something else. CAO cigars are hit or miss for me, so I didn't really expect too much. Was I in for a surprise.

It's a very attactive cigar. It is slightly spongy when squeezed. Once the cap is cut it has a very smooth draw with hardly any pre-light flavor. At this point I'm thinking it's going to be very bland. It starts off a little spicy with nutmeg and a hint of vanilla here and there. It surprised me how pronounced these flavors are. It's in about the medium range here.

About 1 1/2 inch in it mellows out and loses the spice. It moves to more of a mild-medium cigar. The flavors are starting to lean toward nuts and a bit of hay. It seems to be taking a turn for the worse.

It's starting to creep back up to medium strength and I'm getting a lot more smoke. The taste of hay has gone by this time and it is very creamy. Almost like peanut butter. It burns pretty fast so I have to smoke it very slowly. The creaminess wears off and it starts to take on more woody notes with a little grassy taste. Not unpleasant. A bit of sweetness too. It is a sweet tobacco, woody, with a slight grassy flavor. Almost like a HdM I smoked recently.

It started strong and faded a bit, but finished fantastic. I don't know what these tasted like young(er), but now they are fantastic. So many changes. If you can find one, grab it and smoke it.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
No kidding! That is a helluva ash! :clap::clap: Must have been one of the better bunches.

The tobacco was Dominican Lijero, Peruvian and Nicaraguan Seco with an Ecuadorian viso binder. Wrapper was Conn shade & broadleaf.
I want another one.:king:

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
Pulled out a 1960 Partagas pre embergo about a corona size, I'm guessing a 5.2 44ring. It's not in great shape, there is some cracking in the wrapper in both the foot and the tip and a couple of bug holes as well, one near the foot and another at the tip.

I got this from a rare cigar collector a couple years ago, along with some other premium brand pre embargos that were in good enough shape to smoke, but bad enough shape I could afford them. I smoked through most of them and have been glad to have the chance to play in an area I could not otherwise afford to go.

This one clipped well and the draw isn't bad, the hole near the foot was a pain for the first inch of cigar, but after that is smoked like any regular cigar. The hole near the tip is so close my lip covers it up, so no issues at all.

The flavors are still Partagas, but milder and sweeter. Strength started at mild and moved to medium about half way in, which is good since I have cigar buds coming over after dinner, so I'm want to start the day out slow. I'm catching creame, some leather and nuts along with a hint of cocoa now and then. Not a great cigar, this one is past it's prime, but one I'd been saving for some unknown reason.

Took a couple of pics, for grins, I love how the inside of a band this old gets speckled yellow-brown from the cigar oils.

Might have another post about tonight, not sure what the guys will pick from my stash, but it will likley be worth a mention.

This thread got me thinking, I have well over 1000 cigars and if I took out the LE, CC, vintage and HTF I don't think I'd have 100 cigars left. So how rare are they?

Edit- OK, Wow, don't know what happened in the last inch, but I'm so buzzed I'm dizzy. Not sick in any way, just happy. Love it when a cigar gets me all loose like this.

Attachments

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I couldn't get the best pictures b/c the porch light was burnt out- but here they are! Great evening. About 11pm, 38 or so degrees. NO wind (THANK GOD).

Bear

Rating - 100%
99   0   1
Well here goes my first review ever.
I had to smoke in my truck because of the wind so the pics are awful.
I smoked my one and only OR Tat Black. I cut it with my wonderful Xikar Havana series cutter and the prelight light draw tasted like rolaids. I had a little to much dinner and started this with some rolaids. After I washed out the rolaid flavor I could taste cocoa and spice with a flawless draw. The construction was near perfect with thin veins.
The first third of the smoke was spice, spice, and more spice with maybe a malt or cocoa finish. The ash was solid and this cigar only got ashed three times.It also had thick heavy smoke the whole way through.
The second third was a little more mello with a caramel popcorn and coffee falvors with a coffee like aroma. I smoked this till I couldn't hold it any more and was sad but so relaxed when it was over.
The final third was alot of spice through the nose with a grassy haylike finish.
Overall this was probably one of the best cigars I have ever had in my young smoking career and I hope the new tubes are as good.

Attachments

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Howdy All:
I hope you are all having a great Thanksgiving weekend.
I have so much to be thankful this year with my family, my friends, my health, my hounds, my job and such. I am also thankful to the new hobby I picked up this year that is cigar smoking.
I decided to celebrate that by smoking a Montecristo Edicion Limitada 2005. I picked this smoke up from a cigar shop in Madrid Spain a couple of months ago. The shop was-
Cava de Puros Baquillo located at Calle Barquillo, 22. This was an ok shop with a small walk in humidor I went in and asked what they had for limited or special edition cigars and these were all they had. The cost of the sticks were 10 euros each and I bought five of them. If you get a chance to go to Madrid I would recommend Cava de Magallanes located at Calle Magallanes, 16. This shop is next to a regular corner market kind of shop, I arrived after they had closed one night and they opened up just for me and I was able to go with the owner into a large walk in humidor where he helped me pick several different types of special edition cigars.
Ok, onto the review and I have never done one of these so bare with me if it is not awesome.
It was a beautiful day today in Michigan, about 45 degrees Fahrenheit or about 7 Celsius. I got myself a coat, sweatshirt and a hat to keep warm and headed out.
This is what I started with-

After taking quite a bit of time to get my fire going I lit up my smoke at about 1:55pm. You can see that this was a beautiful long smoke with a nice wrapper although I am not sure why the limited edition label was not printed so nicely. My son joined me and we talked for the first 3rd of the cigar about father son type things and I enjoyed his company, he is my younger son at 15 and even took a couple of photos for me. The rest of the smoke was enjoyed with the local radio station and occasional squirrel rustling in the trees.

The cigar started off beautifully with a taste of Fall to me probably because of the day, it had hints of hay and grass. The first third smoked fairly quick and I was starting the 2nd third by about 2:15pm

Coming into the 2nd third of the cigar it slowed down on the burn and had a fuller taste with hints of chocolate and cocoa.

Got into the last 3rd at about 2:40pm and was onto my second Bell’s Winter White ale, a fine Michigan crafted beer if you get a chance- http://www.bellsbeer.com/ . At about this point the cigar got naked with the labels hiding away in my pocket to be stashed with the rest, someday I will make something with them.

I was at the point here of burning my fingers but did not want to stop, but it was a thoroughly enjoyable smoke and ended at about 3:15 with great satisfaction. My fire was done and my time was perfect. If you get the chance to have one of these I would highly recommend it.
Best regards, tony

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Great reviews guys, I'm hoping the wind dies down tomorrow, if not I'm throwing a huge tarp over the gazebo and going for the gusto. Hell I need a place to smoke in the winter anyways and I can convince the wife that I'm protecting the yard furniture in it. :stretchgr

aquarich

BoM March '11
Rating - 100%
205   0   0
Smoked the Don Carlos Robusto tonight. Awesome construction. Much milder than I thought it would be. Some hints of cocoa and some earthy hints as well. I'm thankful that I smoked this clean. Nice cigar, but nothing I have to chase. Thanks for pushing us to do this Brooks.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
Had a couple buds over tonight and we had Padron Family Resereva 45 Maduro's. Great cigar, very heavy smoke that lasted about three hours. Not sure it's a rare cigar since they are out, but they will be shortly with only 1500 boxes made, so I still had to overcome the urge to stockpile them for later. Good night all, it's been a good day and I've had fun tracking the reveiws of what people are smoking.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Had about an hour and a half of sheer joy enjoying a Fuente Fuente Forbidden X Chili Pepper, courtesy of Bob (hdroadglide). Part of me excited thoroughly at the idea of such a fancy shape about to be smoked, but part of me resilient to falling under the placebo effect...

...What a neat treat! The citrus often found in Opus was kicked up several notches here giving a tangy and peppery cigar that I just didn't want to finish. Thanks for starting this thread. We need do this again!

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hi everyone. Here's my review for the Forbidden X Cigar in the Bottle (aka "FFOX Royal 8"), purchased at Casa Fuente three weeks ago. Dimensions are 6.25" x 48 . . .

. . . this is a deceptively complex cigar (whose band, I think, is gorgeous) . . . it wasn't nearly as abounding in top and base notes as some other cigars (two complex smokes that immediately come to mind are the SW Maduro and the ~CG: 4~) nor as beautiful and elegant in the way its flavors develop as the Padrón 80th Anniversary Maduro (another cigar that I found lacking in overall complexity but whose flavors and progression are head and shoulders above most cigars I've had), the Forbidden X "Royal 8" nonetheless set itself apart by the fineness and the quality of the flavors and aromas of the tobacco (due, I'm willing to believe, to its methods of fermentation, which I've read has been pulled from the middle of the plant––which apparently produces a much sweeter leaf––and then aged for 10 years and stored an extra 30 to 45 days in the oak casks used to age the Grand Pommier XS Calvados, a French brandy distilled from apples grown in the Normandy region) . . .

. . . an extravagant process to be sure, but the sweetness and opulence that this process evokes were evident in the cigar's profile, whose overall simplicity can be characterized by its restraint––a touch of leather and cocoa powder and a heavy woodiness that called to mind slightly burnt oak soaked by the rain, a thick and tannic sweetness like raisins drenched in honey and whose syrupy thickness was lightened by flowers, a bouquet stuffed full of chrysanthemums and leaves––a restraint, however, that was marked by the sheer density of flavors, each note having enriched and accentuated the other by beautifully balancing the spicy and the sweet and the heavy and the light, a balance that comprised the entire length of the stick and evolved gradually over the two-hour smoke at a slow but almost deliberate pace, the flavors darkening and acquiring a muskiness until the final two inches where the wrapper split and the profile was consummated through a semi-sweet and pungent quality that complemented the floral notes wonderfully, lending to the sunny bite of the flowers a murky and sweaty dampness that floored me . . .

. . . this cigar was simply stunning . . . but it does come at a hefty price ($60 . . . complete with a fair amount of my initial skepticism), and though I'd rather not pay that, getting to smoke this cigar maybe once a year is more than worth it for me (hey, I might have I've just created for myself a new annual tradition . . . smoke one Forbidden X "Royal 8" every autumn) . . . I loved this cigar . . .

BrandonJ

I <3 Eric.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Guys,

This has been an amazing thread, thank you all so much for contributing!
@Simoun - Your pictures are awesome, that looks like it was a tasty smoke!