What's new

The "What should I buy/try next?" Tobacco Thread

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Didn't someone recently buy a lb of the new Corojo Oscuro wrapper? And I was wondering if it was burny. Who was that? And was it?
I almost jumped on it, but for the cost and the access to Willy's H2k I passed. Willy stopped using corojo in favor of the H2k and I'm sure his cost is lower than WLT and I know his quality is top notch.

I did however buy 1 lb corojo seco, 2lb corojo viso, 1lb criollo ligero, and 1lb Nica Habano seco. Fingers crossed this batch is good. Only reason I ordered these is they are key to my marshmallow blend (except the criollo ligero) which everyone seems to love. Should be getting a few lbs of leaf from Willy this week and will ask how much he wants per lb for what he isn't willing to just give me as I will be transitioning to using mostly his leaf from here on out. Don't think I can stop using Jorge's ligero either since that stuff is so damn good.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Didn't someone recently buy a lb of the new Corojo Oscuro wrapper? And I was wondering if it was burny. Who was that? And was it?​

I did. Haven't got it yet. Was wondering the same. Soon find out.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I almost jumped on it, but for the cost and the access to Willy's H2k I passed. Willy stopped using corojo in favor of the H2k and I'm sure his cost is lower than WLT and I know his quality is top notch.

I did however buy 1 lb corojo seco, 2lb corojo viso, 1lb criollo ligero, and 1lb Nica Habano seco. Fingers crossed this batch is good. Only reason I ordered these is they are key to my marshmallow blend (except the criollo ligero) which everyone seems to love. Should be getting a few lbs of leaf from Willy this week and will ask how much he wants per lb for what he isn't willing to just give me as I will be transitioning to using mostly his leaf from here on out. Don't think I can stop using Jorge's ligero either since that stuff is so damn good.
Roger.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Didn't someone recently buy a lb of the new Corojo Oscuro wrapper? And I was wondering if it was burny. Who was that? And was it?
I've been using it a lot as of lately. Given it is not of the current stock listing, which I wouldn't doubt, if it was, it was bought earlier when it was available. this is my 2nd lb of oscuro and had no fire retardants with it as others have. However, perhaps my further fermenting is doing something.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've been using it a lot as of lately. Given it is not of the current stock listing, which I wouldn't doubt, if it was, it was bought earlier when it was available. this is my 2nd lb of oscuro and had no fire retardants with it as others have. However, perhaps my further fermenting is doing something.
What you have is not from the current shipment, but is in fact from the shipment that Webmost and I found to be fire-retardant? This further fermenting of yours is going to invite some questions, you know, being as how you've not made a single peep during fermenting discussions by GDaddy and SmokePoleO....:nailbiting:

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So if I follow you, you're saying what you have is not from the current shipment, but is in fact from the shipment that Webmost and I found to be fire-retardant? This further fermenting of yours is going invite comment, you know....
I think so maybe? just a guess. If he had every thing on his shelves listed on the site, I might be surprised. and, I figured as much. no secrets here.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0

Almost verbatim my order, except more mata fina... damn you Jonathan!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I forgot to mention I ordered some Dominican binder as well as some CT broadleaf from LO as well. Will be getting Ecuadorian binder from Willy, but not sure if that will affect my marshmallow blend, haven't tested it yet and don't want to lose that blend with my leaf changes. Now, Jorge's Ecuadorian binder may not burn well on its own in the burn tests I have done, but when used with sticks I have rolled with it I haven't had any burn issues and reviews from my test subjects have been positive. I feel like Willy and Jorge's binder are practically identical

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
What you have is not from the current shipment, but is in fact from the shipment that Webmost and I found to be fire-retardant?
IIRC, the leaf I found fire proof was Larry Butcher's habano wrapper. I don't recall playing with Corojo Oscuro before. But, who knows, maybe I'm getting forgetful. I bought a bottle of Ginko Biloba years ago. It's right here somewhere. Where did I put that?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
IIRC, the leaf I found fire proof was Larry Butcher's habano wrapper. I don't recall playing with Corojo Oscuro before. But, who knows, maybe I'm getting forgetful. I bought a bottle of Ginko Biloba years ago. It's right here somewhere. Where did I put that?
@webmost: "Has anyone solved the riddle with this leaf? Is there any way to use it?

I tried again last night. Used just the least bit of it as binder, between hab seco and ct shade. The shade burnt off the outside just fine. The hab made a nice cherry that descended into a tube of corojo. This stuff is fireproof. Tastes great. No prob there. Just won't burn.

Has anyone figured this out?"

http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/6124-Dons-Corojo?highlight=corojo oscuro

You eventually arranged for us to get refunds.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
..., being as how you've not made a single peep during fermenting discussions by GDaddy and SmokePoleO....:nailbiting:
I will apologize for my lack of involvement in those threads much. though, I do recall doing so. specifically, something to the effect of be careful not to over ferment them for they will turn to dust. and, a thicker leaf is needed to stand up to the extra fermenting. I didn't feel I had any thing more useful to add. perhaps I was wrong in thinking so.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I will apologize for my lack of involvement in those threads much. though, I do recall doing so. specifically, something to the effect of be careful not to over ferment them for they will turn to dust. and, a thicker leaf is needed to stand up to the extra fermenting. I didn't feel I had any thing more useful to add. perhaps I was wrong in thinking so.
Well I was just teasing you, man. But yeah I remember you saying those things.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats not a total shock that it doesnt burn well..I just got some and it has amazing texture but All of Larry,s leaf needs to be fermented though that is for sure. I suspect that the issue may be the resin in the leaf.All his leaf has a very sticky feel to it.That pretty much turns to oil during fermentation though. I was even able to get the one sucker to burn after it fermented and that stuff is like rawhide.I dont like the taste of it but it burns quite fine.I expect the fermented Habano is going to make some beautiful wrapper.

P.S. Webmost. your leaf will be packaged up and shipped out over the weekend.Who knows you may even find a couple of extra surprises in the package.