What's new

The "What should I buy/try next?" Tobacco Thread

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I miss having this thread from the other forum, so why not do it again?
So, I am running low on wrapper and some other essential leaves, time to make a shopping list. What I am looking for:
  • Brazilian Wrapper - Plan and simple, this is my favorite wrapper, must have in my inventory. I am thinking I'll commit to a pound. Any other wrappers I should try? Ec. ligero might be good, but I am not sure I have a blend that I would wrap in it at this time.
  • Some new ligero - I have used both LO and WLT's Criollo 98, and some of LO dominican ligeros, but maybe I need something different. Maybe even Jorge's ligero? I'd probably never use an entire pound of it, especially if it is as strong as everyone says it is. Thoughts?
  • Colombian Seco - Love that tasty (@blisscigarco "horse-shitty") flavor profile. Very earthy and my friends like those mild blends a lot.
I am curious if I should wait for WLT to carry the dominican ligero again and some other goodies (corojo), but I do need some leaf from LO.
If there is anything you think I should try, let me know below! :cigar:

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I miss having this thread from the other forum, so why not do it again?
So, I am running low on wrapper and some other essential leaves, time to make a shopping list. What I am looking for:
  • Brazilian Wrapper - Plan and simple, this is my favorite wrapper, must have in my inventory. I am thinking I'll commit to a pound. Any other wrappers I should try? Ec. ligero might be good, but I am not sure I have a blend that I would wrap in it at this time.
  • Some new ligero - I have used both LO and WLT's Criollo 98, and some of LO dominican ligeros, but maybe I need something different. Maybe even Jorge's ligero? I'd probably never use an entire pound of it, especially if it is as strong as everyone says it is. Thoughts?
  • Colombian Seco - Love that tasty (@blisscigarco "horse-shitty") flavor profile. Very earthy and my friends like those mild blends a lot.
I am curious if I should wait for WLT to carry the dominican ligero again and some other goodies (corojo), but I do need some leaf from LO.
If there is anything you think I should try, let me know below! :cigar:
Without a doubt, try Jorge's ligero. It may last you a while but you will want it around. I just ordered 2 more pounds... Of course I am also going to encourage the Ecuadorian Habano ligero wrapper as well. It doesn't matter what you slap it on, it is good. The San Andres I just got was damn nice this time around as well.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Without a doubt, try Jorge's ligero. It may last you a while but you will want it around. I just ordered 2 more pounds... Of course I am also going to encourage the Ecuadorian Habano ligero wrapper as well. It doesn't matter what you slap it on, it is good. The San Andres I just got was damn nice this time around as well.
I like the San andreas, don't get me wrong, but the flavor profile is delicious with that Brazilian habano. I'll probably grab a sample of the ec ligero to try, been meaning to jump on that band wagon for awhile.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I like the San andreas, don't get me wrong, but the flavor profile is delicious with that Brazilian habano. I'll probably grab a sample of the ec ligero to try, been meaning to jump on that band wagon for awhile.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
The Brazilian wrapper I just got from LO is Mata Fina. It is so thin and fragile and the veins wind all over so it is a real bitch to work with. It smells great though and I'm anxious to see how it tastes.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
The Brazilian wrapper I just got from LO is Mata Fina. It is so thin and fragile and the veins wind all over so it is a real bitch to work with. It smells great though and I'm anxious to see how it tastes.
Yup, you are right it is Mata Fina, I love the thinness, burns like a dream. Let me know what you think about that flavor. What's your opinion on the LO Criollo ligero? I know you enjoy the WLT stuff, but they are currently out of it there.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Yup, you are right it is Mata Fina, I love the thinness, burns like a dream. Let me know what you think about that flavor. What's your opinion on the LO Criollo ligero? I know you enjoy the WLT stuff, but they are currently out of it there.
I have only used the LO criollo seco and I like it. Strange, I just ordered criollo ligero from WLT. Maybe I snagged the last of it

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Nope all gone, but... "4-2-2016 All cigar fillers ( Piloto Cubano Seco,Viso, and Ligero, Criollo 98 Seco, Viso, and Ligero, Corojo Seco, Viso, and Nicaragua Habano Seco and Viso) will be back in stock by the middle of the month (April) Thank you for your patience. "

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Nope all gone, but... "4-2-2016 All cigar fillers ( Piloto Cubano Seco,Viso, and Ligero, Criollo 98 Seco, Viso, and Ligero, Corojo Seco, Viso, and Nicaragua Habano Seco and Viso) will be back in stock by the middle of the month (April) Thank you for your patience. "
Saw that too. Will definitely be restocking on corojo and Nica Habano

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I'm looking for suggestions on a real good burning, smooth textured, reasonably strong binder.
Has to burn well in damp weather. That's key.
Have you tried the Dominican binder? That stuff has worked well for me, but I'm not in a high humidity area.

Just noticed WLT restocked their Dominican ligero for those that jumped on the Jorge train. Still no corojo, criollo, or Nica Habano seco though

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Have you tried the Dominican binder? That stuff has worked well for me, but I'm not in a high humidity area.

Just noticed WLT restocked their Dominican ligero for those that jumped on the Jorge train. Still no corojo, criollo, or Nica Habano seco though
I did, long ago. Didn't care for what it did to flavor. Eventually gave it away. Maybe I ought to try some from a new batch.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I did, long ago. Didn't care for what it did to flavor. Eventually gave it away. Maybe I ought to try some from a new batch.
The stuff from WLT is larger and thinner than LOs offering. I'm not sure what if anything it brings to the table flavor wise. My mentor swears by Ecuadorian binder though, it is all he will use. He says the Dominican binder is usually Sumatra seed and isn't very good. I have tried adding some scrap Dominican binder to the filler of a stick and didn't care for it though. Jorge's binder is bulletproof, but it is large and heavy so a pound doesn't go as far. Haven't burned any test sticks with it to know how well it burns or how it affects flavors yet.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The stuff from WLT is larger and thinner than LOs offering. I'm not sure what if anything it brings to the table flavor wise. My mentor swears by Ecuadorian binder though, it is all he will use. He says the Dominican binder is usually Sumatra seed and isn't very good. I have tried adding some scrap Dominican binder to the filler of a stick and didn't care for it though. Jorge's binder is bulletproof, but it is large and heavy so a pound doesn't go as far. Haven't burned any test sticks with it to know how well it burns or how it affects flavors yet.
Well next time you get a dry scrap of that binder, try the cherry test, to see if it burns a la vela. Just touch the cherry of a lit cigar to the middle of your scrap. If your binder scrap continues to smolder away happily even after you remove the cherry, then it is said to burn "a la vela", which translates "like a candle"... or as we might say in English, "on its own". Somebody else may know a better test, but this one makes sense to me.

Burnt one of Willy's cigars yesterday. Very smokable. Gonna work up a review if I can find time.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Well next time you get a dry scrap of that binder, try the cherry test, to see if it burns a la vela. Just touch the cherry of a lit cigar to the middle of your scrap. If your binder scrap continues to smolder away happily even after you remove the cherry, then it is said to burn "a la vela", which translates "like a candle"... or as we might say in English, "on its own". Somebody else may know a better test, but this one makes sense to me.

Burnt one of Willy's cigars yesterday. Very smokable. Gonna work up a review if I can find time.
Sounds like a good idea on the test. I will save a scrap next time I roll with it (probably later today) and do just that.

I enjoy his cigars quite a bit even though they are milder than my typically preferred profile. Flavor without strength though in a good way I think. He tells me all of his filler is aged a minimum of 4 years and I think that makes a huge difference. I think the leaf we get from LO and WLT is still very young and that is why most things we roll really benefit from resting a while after rolling.